When to shift and how to shift - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-16-2005, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

frenchy1012 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to frenchy1012
Now all of these solutions sound to me like they are hard on the clutch. How long could i expect a stock clutch to last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-23-2005, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
a stock wrx does not have enough HP to launh with a clutch drop. even if your peggin the rev limieter and drop the clutch, you will still bog. you HAVE to slip the clutch most o fthe way out
and this is horible for the clutch.
#18 Old 07-15-2005, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

scoobnoob is an unknown
what clutch would you recomend for launching? I was racing the other night and got my but handed to me by my friends bmw 328. all he had was a chip and exhaust. I noticed that everytime I launched it would bog like you said. So a new clutch will fix that?
#19 Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
A new clutch will not help the bog situation, if anything it will hurt it. It will bite harder, but will hurt your tranny. Just learn to slip it from about 5 k rpm. Practice in a big empty parking lot or something. You will get it. And if you slip it quick enough it isn't that bad for your clutch.
#20 Old 07-15-2005, 02:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
eh, any way you slice it its not good for your clutch. the least amount of time you have your foor on the clutch the better, but i wouldent sugest doing it at all.

i have found, reving to about 4-5K gets roughly the same results. ill left the clutch out about 50-55% instantly and hold for about a half second and gradualy but quickly release the rest of the way.
seems to work well. but damn do i feel guilty after.

sometimes ya get that wreched clutch in a fernice smell and i feel really bad, i want to get out and say im sorry to my clutch.

thats why i prefer to race from a roll if im going to race at all. 5-8 mph in first, prepare to get eaten up off the line. after 45 mph its all HP anyway.
again i begin to reflect on why 1/4 mile racing is so lame to me. throw a couple turns in there to make it intaresting i say.
#21 Old 07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobnoob
what clutch would you recomend for launching? I was racing the other night and got my but handed to me by my friends bmw 328. all he had was a chip and exhaust. I noticed that everytime I launched it would bog like you said. So a new clutch will fix that?
Our cars don't build boost at a stand still they only build boost at load, so thats why you are bogging and with that a new clutch won't help you

My turbo's fixed and a lot better =)
#22 Old 07-16-2005, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah, there just isent enough HP to the wheels to launch a wrx

wel... stock one anyway
#23 Old 09-13-2005, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

woznin49 is an unknown
i usually launch at about 5800 and slip it just enough to where everything locks and then i dump it. i did that with my vr4 for about 2 years on the same clutch(act 2600) doing about 5-10 runs a night on a weekend and would have better 60ft times(1.6-1.8's) than the guys that just dropped the clutch out of the hole
#24 Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
if your bogging its all the driver. you havw to bring the clutch out fast but not drop it or slip it to much to brun it up. i pull of the clutch 50% or the way to get rolling then let it off fast, but controlled not droped. doesnt burn up the clutch to bad if any.
#25 Old 09-28-2005, 03:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

mikeb7523 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutexk
I am a newbie at driving stick... so the way i shift when i am goin full throttle (i dont wanna say racing ### racing is illegal ), but i usually shift right b4 redline around 6500k and when i shift, i normally just drop the clutch sorta... but the nerve racking thing about doing that is everytime it engages, it makes thing (dunk) noise.. is that bad?? i mean obviously its not good, but is it damaging? i dont really push my car that often... and as far as launching, there have been some ppl telling me to rev to 4500-5000 and then DROP the clutch... but that cant hardly be a good idea... there are also other suggestions to sorta drop it but not really, kinda letting it slip.. but then doesnt that burn that clutch like crazy? I dunno, im pretty decent driving stick and its only been 2 months... unfortunately i had to learn on my WRX (poor thing)...
which actually brings me to my next question... ### EXACTLY does stalling to do that car? is it bad for the engine? i can imagine it must be bad for the tranny right? when i first bought the car, i stalled quite a few times, and i am worried that it might have crapped my brand new engine on the WRX... mayb ### i had a 98 auto BMW 328i previously, there are alot of noises that this car makes that makes me wonder about some things... mayb its just the difference between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder? i dunno, i guess it must be the difference between German Engineering and Japanese Engineering, not to talk bad about Japanese engineering, but just some things about German engineering that makes cars so smooth and nice....
you should launch the car at like 5000rpm probally if it is stock yes but, make sure your boost is up above the 0 point on your boost gauge and don't dump the clutch if it is below the 0 and your not getting boost, bmw's are nice I had one to but this is much more fun to drive plus a bmw looks like an old mans car thats why i got rid of mine, don't give up on the shifting just do what i said, it works well you will really be suprisied how much more of a push you will get.Good luck bud^^^
#26 Old 09-29-2005, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
ok, i dunno if everyone has a problem with this... but i seem to be having a few problems with my second gear...when im goin at WOT, every other gear is great, but when i shift into second, i get that loud back end engagement and then the car doesnt seem to be going that fast for about 1-1/5 seconds, and then it picks up the torque again... the weird thing is, when i shift, the rpms fall right above 4000, but it still seems like its losing power... i noticed this happening the longer i keep my car.. ### it used to not do that, it would make that loud THUNK noise, but the car still pulled strong, but nowadays the car seems to lose the pull right after engagement... and this is ONLY in 2nd gear... ive been thinking up a few things that i could do to fix the problem, like getting tranny mounts and shifter bushings... but ### would make my car lose power like that over time...? and second gear seems to be the only problem i have shifting into these days... its never as smooth as 3rd or 4th or 5th... wats up with that?!?!
#27 Old 09-29-2005, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

stang hunter is an unknown
I dont know how a 328 hand you you as$ i was going down i 81 two days ago i look in the mirror here come a 525 or 535 what ever it was he got next to me and drop down so i hit 4 th by 90 mph i passed him i hit 135 he was about 10 car links back filling like a punk with his girl in the car . he shouldnt of got those big chrome wheels
#28 Old 09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang hunter
I dont know how a 328 hand you you as$ i was going down i 81 two days ago i look in the mirror here come a 525 or 535 what ever it was he got next to me and drop down so i hit 4 th by 90 mph i passed him i hit 135 he was about 10 car links back filling like a punk with his girl in the car . he shouldnt of got those big chrome wheels
a 525 is a full size, luxery sedan. a 328 is a sport coupe.