Subaru WRX Forum banner

When to shift and how to shift

9K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Nose Nuggets 
#1 ·
I am a newbie at driving stick... so the way i shift when i am goin full throttle (i dont wanna say racing because racing is illegal :D ), but i usually shift right b4 redline around 6500k and when i shift, i normally just drop the clutch sorta... but the nerve racking thing about doing that is everytime it engages, it makes thing (dunk) noise.. is that bad?? i mean obviously its not good, but is it damaging? i dont really push my car that often... and as far as launching, there have been some ppl telling me to rev to 4500-5000 and then DROP the clutch... but that cant hardly be a good idea... there are also other suggestions to sorta drop it but not really, kinda letting it slip.. but then doesnt that burn that clutch like crazy? I dunno, im pretty decent driving stick and its only been 2 months... unfortunately i had to learn on my WRX (poor thing)...
which actually brings me to my next question... what EXACTLY does stalling to do that car? is it bad for the engine? i can imagine it must be bad for the tranny right? when i first bought the car, i stalled quite a few times, and i am worried that it might have crapped my brand new engine on the WRX... mayb because i had a 98 auto BMW 328i previously, there are alot of noises that this car makes that makes me wonder about some things... mayb its just the difference between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder? i dunno, i guess it must be the difference between German Engineering and Japanese Engineering, not to talk bad about Japanese engineering, but just some things about German engineering that makes cars so smooth and nice....

See less See more
#2 ·
when im at the track i shift 7G's maybe a little more 7,100. and also when im at the track i launch at 5grand and dump it.yeah it is bad for the trany. but thats just me. also when i shift i dont let off the gas. i stay on the gas, and throw in the clutch, and throw it into the next gear.

#4 ·
Not to mention that, but your ET's will suffer. The best place to shift is where your car is making peak HP. Usually around 6500 or so. 7000 is too high. And, keeping the engine floored between shifts does nothing but make your car hit the rev limiter, which retards timing and opens your wastegate, which seriously reduces power.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#6 ·
With the WRX you're gonna want to launch it around 4500 or 5000. You heard right. The stock clutch can handle it, but it's not strong enough for repeated lauches without letting it cool down. If you are planning on repeated lauches, get a stronger clutch. I shift at 6500rpms. Shifting any higher and you'll tend to lose power. But I strongly suggest, if you are planning on abusing your clutch, get a stronger one. If you just race every now and then, then you should be fine, just don't abuse the clutch. Respect it and it will treat you right.

#7 ·
yeah my clutch is starting to feel wierd...either that or im just getting used to it LOL i started launching at 6 and just dumping it...but i stopped listening to my friends and just played with my car...now i launch around 3k-3500 and i dont dump the clutch i kinda ride it a little and then i shift at around 6900 or 6800 i can go to redline cause i dont run outa breath but i dont take just for the sake of my car.

#9 ·
Kind of on this subject. Im good with the shifting/launching part. My question is concerning clutch play. My old car the clutch was shot and slipped hardcore. On my rex it grabs like crazy. My question is it better to put pedal to floor and let out fast or put it down partway and let out? Any opinions or thoughts?

#10 ·
you'll notice a big difference on when you shift. At the track, I ran 15-20 times a night, over and over, each time shifting differently. I shifted at 7, 7.1k, 6, 6.5k, and everything in between. I definatly felt the biggest and saw the biggest improvements shifting around 6500. And yeah! I was racing my friend in another WRX down the street, and I would shift at 7000 and he'd pull a little, i'd shift at 6.5, and I'd pull. So yeah, everything that people are saying about the power band ending at 6.5 is def. right!! BTW I dump the clutch on a launch at 6500 rpms too! !Laugh! But yeah, Kaaz Hardened Gearsets are on the way as well as new stronger clutch and flywheel, and pressure plate or whatever else I need to make in stronger!

#11 ·
I don't dump the clutch 100%... I guess I'd rather burn clutch than break my transmissoin. I rev bout 4k an then let it 90% out or so and hold it till the wheels start going and then release. Burns a little clutch I'm sure but I still get a nice jump and it's smoother... you can really hurt your passengers neck! I try to shift before 7k but I suck at first to second. I end up with a serious jerk going into second gear and it doesn't take off smoothly. All other shifts are easier for me

#12 ·
That clunk you are hearing is the rear diff hitting because of the soft bushings, If you get the rear diff bushing kit that will cure your problem but you will get a little bit of vibration in the car from them not bad and you get used to it. You can find them for 30.00 bucks at Subaruwrxparts.com, easy install.

#19 ·
A new clutch will not help the bog situation, if anything it will hurt it. It will bite harder, but will hurt your tranny. Just learn to slip it from about 5 k rpm. Practice in a big empty parking lot or something. You will get it. And if you slip it quick enough it isn't that bad for your clutch.

#20 ·
eh, any way you slice it its not good for your clutch. the least amount of time you have your foor on the clutch the better, but i wouldent sugest doing it at all.

i have found, reving to about 4-5K gets roughly the same results. ill left the clutch out about 50-55% instantly and hold for about a half second and gradualy but quickly release the rest of the way.
seems to work well. but damn do i feel guilty after.

sometimes ya get that wreched clutch in a fernice smell and i feel really bad, i want to get out and say im sorry to my clutch.

thats why i prefer to race from a roll if im going to race at all. 5-8 mph in first, prepare to get eaten up off the line. after 45 mph its all HP anyway.
again i begin to reflect on why 1/4 mile racing is so lame to me. throw a couple turns in there to make it intaresting i say.

#21 ·
scoobnoob said:
what clutch would you recomend for launching? I was racing the other night and got my but handed to me by my friends bmw 328. all he had was a chip and exhaust. I noticed that everytime I launched it would bog like you said. So a new clutch will fix that?
Our cars don't build boost at a stand still they only build boost at load, so thats why you are bogging and with that a new clutch won't help you

#23 ·
i usually launch at about 5800 and slip it just enough to where everything locks and then i dump it. i did that with my vr4 for about 2 years on the same clutch(act 2600) doing about 5-10 runs a night on a weekend and would have better 60ft times(1.6-1.8's) than the guys that just dropped the clutch out of the hole

#24 ·
if your bogging its all the driver. you havw to bring the clutch out fast but not drop it or slip it to much to brun it up. i pull of the clutch 50% or the way to get rolling then let it off fast, but controlled not droped. doesnt burn up the clutch to bad if any.

#25 ·
absolutexk said:
I am a newbie at driving stick... so the way i shift when i am goin full throttle (i dont wanna say racing because racing is illegal :D ), but i usually shift right b4 redline around 6500k and when i shift, i normally just drop the clutch sorta... but the nerve racking thing about doing that is everytime it engages, it makes thing (dunk) noise.. is that bad?? i mean obviously its not good, but is it damaging? i dont really push my car that often... and as far as launching, there have been some ppl telling me to rev to 4500-5000 and then DROP the clutch... but that cant hardly be a good idea... there are also other suggestions to sorta drop it but not really, kinda letting it slip.. but then doesnt that burn that clutch like crazy? I dunno, im pretty decent driving stick and its only been 2 months... unfortunately i had to learn on my WRX (poor thing)...
which actually brings me to my next question... what EXACTLY does stalling to do that car? is it bad for the engine? i can imagine it must be bad for the tranny right? when i first bought the car, i stalled quite a few times, and i am worried that it might have crapped my brand new engine on the WRX... mayb because i had a 98 auto BMW 328i previously, there are alot of noises that this car makes that makes me wonder about some things... mayb its just the difference between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder? i dunno, i guess it must be the difference between German Engineering and Japanese Engineering, not to talk bad about Japanese engineering, but just some things about German engineering that makes cars so smooth and nice....
you should launch the car at like 5000rpm probally if it is stock yes but, make sure your boost is up above the 0 point on your boost gauge and don't dump the clutch if it is below the 0 and your not getting boost, bmw's are nice I had one to but this is much more fun to drive plus a bmw looks like an old mans car thats why i got rid of mine, don't give up on the shifting just do what i said, it works well you will really be suprisied how much more of a push you will get.Good luck bud^^^

#26 ·
ok, i dunno if everyone has a problem with this... but i seem to be having a few problems with my second gear...when im goin at WOT, every other gear is great, but when i shift into second, i get that loud back end engagement and then the car doesnt seem to be going that fast for about 1-1/5 seconds, and then it picks up the torque again... the weird thing is, when i shift, the rpms fall right above 4000, but it still seems like its losing power... i noticed this happening the longer i keep my car.. because it used to not do that, it would make that loud THUNK noise, but the car still pulled strong, but nowadays the car seems to lose the pull right after engagement... and this is ONLY in 2nd gear... ive been thinking up a few things that i could do to fix the problem, like getting tranny mounts and shifter bushings... but what would make my car lose power like that over time...? and second gear seems to be the only problem i have shifting into these days... its never as smooth as 3rd or 4th or 5th... wats up with that?!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.