Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Drag Strip Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   When to shift and how to shift (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/when-shift-how-shift-6935/)

absolutexk 02-08-2005 05:58 PM

When to shift and how to shift

I am a newbie at driving stick... so the way i shift when i am goin full throttle (i dont wanna say racing ### racing is illegal :D ), but i usually shift right b4 redline around 6500k and when i shift, i normally just drop the clutch sorta... but the nerve racking thing about doing that is everytime it engages, it makes thing (dunk) noise.. is that bad?? i mean obviously its not good, but is it damaging? i dont really push my car that often... and as far as launching, there have been some ppl telling me to rev to 4500-5000 and then DROP the clutch... but that cant hardly be a good idea... there are also other suggestions to sorta drop it but not really, kinda letting it slip.. but then doesnt that burn that clutch like crazy? I dunno, im pretty decent driving stick and its only been 2 months... unfortunately i had to learn on my WRX (poor thing)...
which actually brings me to my next question... ### EXACTLY does stalling to do that car? is it bad for the engine? i can imagine it must be bad for the tranny right? when i first bought the car, i stalled quite a few times, and i am worried that it might have crapped my brand new engine on the WRX... mayb ### i had a 98 auto BMW 328i previously, there are alot of noises that this car makes that makes me wonder about some things... mayb its just the difference between a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder? i dunno, i guess it must be the difference between German Engineering and Japanese Engineering, not to talk bad about Japanese engineering, but just some things about German engineering that makes cars so smooth and nice....

imbeterthanu 02-08-2005 08:35 PM

when im at the track i shift 7G's maybe a little more 7,100. and also when im at the track i launch at 5grand and dump it.yeah it is bad for the trany. but thats just me. also when i shift i dont let off the gas. i stay on the gas, and throw in the clutch, and throw it into the next gear.

WishIHad1 02-08-2005 09:41 PM

^your car wont last very long if you keep doing everything you just said buddy

Cosmo 02-08-2005 09:53 PM

Not to mention that, but your ET's will suffer. The best place to shift is where your car is making peak HP. Usually around 6500 or so. 7000 is too high. And, keeping the engine floored between shifts does nothing but make your car hit the rev limiter, which retards timing and opens your wastegate, which seriously reduces power.

imbeterthanu 02-09-2005 09:30 AM

like i said only at the track, and ive been there twice. and havent been sence. i never said i was a good driver.

Bullit 02-09-2005 02:38 PM

With the WRX you're gonna want to launch it around 4500 or 5000. You heard right. The stock clutch can handle it, but it's not strong enough for repeated lauches without letting it cool down. If you are planning on repeated lauches, get a stronger clutch. I shift at 6500rpms. Shifting any higher and you'll tend to lose power. But I strongly suggest, if you are planning on abusing your clutch, get a stronger one. If you just race every now and then, then you should be fine, just don't abuse the clutch. Respect it and it will treat you right.

liquidpopp3r 02-09-2005 03:15 PM

yeah my clutch is starting to feel wierd...either that or im just getting used to it LOL i started launching at 6 and just dumping it...but i stopped listening to my friends and just played with my car...now i launch around 3k-3500 and i dont dump the clutch i kinda ride it a little and then i shift at around 6900 or 6800 i can go to redline cause i dont run outa breath but i dont take just for the sake of my car.

CanadianSub 03-08-2005 02:14 PM

it makes thing (dunk) noise

yes i notice that to ? ! it,s the wheel biting the pavement ? or my spine doing this noise ! !Laugh!

wrx27 03-09-2005 02:05 PM

Kind of on this subject. Im good with the shifting/launching part. My question is concerning clutch play. My old car the clutch was shot and slipped hardcore. On my rex it grabs like crazy. My question is it better to put pedal to floor and let out fast or put it down partway and let out? Any opinions or thoughts?

Turbo_WRX 03-19-2005 10:54 AM

you'll notice a big difference on when you shift. At the track, I ran 15-20 times a night, over and over, each time shifting differently. I shifted at 7, 7.1k, 6, 6.5k, and everything in between. I definatly felt the biggest and saw the biggest improvements shifting around 6500. And yeah! I was racing my friend in another WRX down the street, and I would shift at 7000 and he'd pull a little, i'd shift at 6.5, and I'd pull. So yeah, everything that people are saying about the power band ending at 6.5 is def. right!! BTW I dump the clutch on a launch at 6500 rpms too! !Laugh! But yeah, Kaaz Hardened Gearsets are on the way as well as new stronger clutch and flywheel, and pressure plate or whatever else I need to make in stronger!

mosc 04-05-2005 09:56 AM

I don't dump the clutch 100%... I guess I'd rather burn clutch than break my transmissoin. I rev bout 4k an then let it 90% out or so and hold it till the wheels start going and then release. Burns a little clutch I'm sure but I still get a nice jump and it's smoother... you can really hurt your passengers neck! I try to shift before 7k but I suck at first to second. I end up with a serious jerk going into second gear and it doesn't take off smoothly. All other shifts are easier for me

Ian 04-05-2005 06:23 PM

That clunk you are hearing is the rear diff hitting because of the soft bushings, If you get the rear diff bushing kit that will cure your problem but you will get a little bit of vibration in the car from them not bad and you get used to it. You can find them for 30.00 bucks at Subaruwrxparts.com, easy install.

ultraspank98 05-15-2005 07:44 PM

Maybe...

[QUOTE=mosc]I end up with a serious jerk going into second gear and it doesn't take off smoothly. All other shifts are easier for me[/QUOTE]

are you letting off the accelerator when u shift? ### when u let completely off then hit it hard, it jerks a lot. try keeping some pressure on the pedal when u shift and ull be good !Thumbs Up

mosc 05-16-2005 09:31 AM

run the gas all the way between shifts? hoo the clutch is crying

Cosmo 05-16-2005 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=mosc]run the gas all the way between shifts? hoo the clutch is crying[/QUOTE]

I do that. Of course, I have launch control which limits my RPM to 5500 when the clutch is pressed....