Subaru WRX Forum banner

Went to the track tonight

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  fast_dak 
#1 ·
My first time to the track with the WRX (have made plenty of passes with my DAkota). Well, made 5 passes.. started off with a 15.6, bogged bad off the line.. Following 3 runs were between 14.0 and 14.3. Even had a .033 R/T on the 14.3 run, though my 60's were all 2.1-2.2

Best Run

R/T: 1.20
60': 2.144
1/8: 9.126
MPH: 79.92
1/4: 14.096
MPH: 98.93

Now, the bad news.

5th pass, Going against a well modded 5.0, we're pretty even off the line, go into second.. BOOM rattle rattle rattle

Well, there goes my transmission I think (maybe the clutch??? ). Clutch has good feel to it, but cannot change any gears, even into neutral. Whenever it's moving (like when I was getting towed off the track), you could hear it rattling. Just got in 10 minutes ago, Bah!

See less See more
#3 ·
What you think it sounds like? Clutch, gears, input shaft?

I know whichever it is, it's going to be at least $1,000 (clutch), $2500-$3000 if it's the gears and I go with RA gearset. Dunno if it's the gears, cause I've read plenty of threads on here where guys have blown second gear, but have been able to use other gears and "baby it home". It's got clutch feel, but clutch in/out makes no difference. Shifter will go from first to neutral with some resistance, but no where else (not that it's actually going into neutral). Possibly the input shaft? (Subbie owner that works where I take mine to says he's broken his input shaft twice, has similar mods to me, though he's converted to RWD)

#7 ·
Well, one guy that works on transmissions here says that he was able to get it to go between gears except 2nd and drive it in the parking lot, so definitely looks like I killed 2nd gear, and possibly the master shaft. Going to take it out, see what I actually need to order. More than likely, will be ordering the RA Gearset. Not stock clutch, it's got the ACT street/strip clutch. I had hoped it being an organic clutch, that it would go before the transmission.. well, that didn't happen :poorme:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.