Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Drag Strip Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   Vs 350z Stock for stock (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/vs-350z-stock-stock-6089/)

Rain_Racer 09-23-2004 08:45 AM

Vs 350z Stock for stock

Well a buddy of mine finally got his 350Z broken in so on saturday we are going to the local 1/8 mile dragstrip!

From what I understand a WRX vs a 350z (both stock) are about evenly matched and it will be a driver's race... hopefully I will get video of me Stomping up on him :)

does anyone think either of these stock cars has an advantage? He has been talking a little smack so hopefully my little silver wagon can put his Z in it's place.

Cosmo 09-23-2004 09:12 AM

In a 1/4 mile track, I think he would have the advantage as those cars have a stronger top end. But, in a 1/8 mile you should be fine if you can get off the line well. If you can get your 60' times down under 2 seconds, you should have no problem beating him.

IBAUCLAPlaya 09-23-2004 11:33 AM

Exactly, in the 1/8 you got a VERY VERY good chance of beating him. AWD baby!

Quack 09-24-2004 11:31 PM

in a wagon you will lose in the 1/4...

Rain_Racer 09-27-2004 09:26 AM

well we raced 4 times and every time he lost by at least a second.

for the 1/8 mile my best time was 9.74 (which is still pretty crappy)
my 0-60ft is still around 2.2s I am too scared to push it any further.

his best time was over 10.7 seconds, but he just needs to learn how to drive...

my best Reaction time was .570s and his was around 1.2s :eek: that was his biggest problem.

the best part of the night was when he got pulled by a 12s (1/8 mile) stock saturn 4 door by 2 car lengths off the line... the announcer said "Maybe he is giving the saturn a head start" I need to teach that boy how to drive. His girlfriend was saying "Why don't you just let him drive your car because i want to see what it can do" she kept saying "I thought your car could beat his WRX" the truth is with 2 better drivers we could each improve by a second or more...

even though I would take him by a second his trap speeds were about the same as mine, so I can tell even with his crappy driving he could probably take me in the 1/4, unless I learn how to drive better in the mean time...

My friend is still working on running the video through the codec, after I get it I wil post it up. Maybe I will get scans of my Slips (I have his too).

bah14 09-27-2004 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Cosmo]If you can get your 60' times down under 2 seconds, you should have no problem beating him.[/QUOTE]

I test drove a 2004 350Z the other day for about 2 hours. I pulled the usual things i'd never do to my own car. personally, the Z is a bit more refined, but doesn't pull nearly as hard at the wrx. However, like Cosmo says, the Z will have a slight top-end advantage.

Solice 09-29-2004 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=bah14]personally, the Z is a bit more refined, but doesn't pull nearly as hard at the wrx. However, like Cosmo says, the Z will have a slight top-end advantage.[/QUOTE]

When you say WRX do mean WRX or WRX STI :D? I've never even considered to race a 350z, I always just figured I'd get owned by one. There are a ton of them things running around here.

Solice

bah14 09-29-2004 06:02 AM

[QUOTE=Solice]When you say WRX do mean WRX or WRX STI ? I always just figured I'd get owned by one. Solice[/QUOTE]

I mean the WRX. Stock to stock, it doesn't carpare to the sti. The 350z just looks mean. If you know what you're doing in your wrx, you will be fine . At high speeds it might be able to take you, but i wouldn't know anything about that.

I will say this, the idea of swapping for better internals, a huge FMIC, and a dual turbo kit, makes my mouth water.
:eek:

Quack 09-29-2004 08:15 AM

my stg2 wagon took the win vs. a 350Z in the 1/4.

friday i'll see how the VF30 runs :D

bah14 09-29-2004 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=Quack]my stg2 wagon took the win vs. a 350Z in the 1/4. [/QUOTE]

Quack, where in ohio do you make your quater mile runs?
:confused:

Quack 09-29-2004 08:26 AM

we're running at Norwalk (west of Cleveland) on friday if you want to meet up.

i ran the 350Z at Dragway 42 (south of Cleveland) but the track sucks SOOO bad that my times there (at Stg2) were close to my times when i only had a DP and cat-back (at Norwalk)

both are about an hour away.

bah14 09-29-2004 11:41 AM

I'll get some directions and see if i can't make my way out there. I don't have anything worth racing with up here, but can at least watch. ;-)

Quack 09-29-2004 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=bah14]I'll get some directions and see if i can't make my way out there. I don't have anything worth racing with up here, but can at least watch. ;-)[/QUOTE]

if you can, we are meeting at the McD's off of I-480 Exit 1B at 6pm on Friday