Track guys? Need help for Launch - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-16-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

nbr1echo is an unknown
Track guys? Need help for Launch

Hey guys. Just have a quick question for you about launching. What is the best way to efficiently launch with the least amount of risk of damage to my tranny and or clutch. I'm in North Carolina and we have Freaky Fridays which is a 2 day event the first weekend of every month where we have a drag strip and circuit track. Awesome stuff but so many guys that don't know how to launch from what I physically see, try and tell me how to do it. I'm just looking for any tips you got. Persiate it guys/gals if there are any
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2006, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
-Put the shifter in 1st gear.
-Rev motor to 4-5k
-Slowly let out clutch, not so much that you smoke the hell out of the clutch, but so you don't try to get wheelspin
-Save up for new gears.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

nbr1echo is an unknown
Thanks

Hey bro. Thank you for the info. I won't be doing that often but I do appreciate it.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/foru...to_forumsearch

Type in the word "launch". There are many threads about proper launch techniques.

Drag Racing?
need advise how to launch
launching

You'll also need to know that it isn't all about launching either, proper shifting is as important as the launch.

When to shift and how to shift

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #5 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd>fwd
-Put the shifter in 1st gear.
-Rev motor to 4-5k
-Slowly let out clutch, not so much that you smoke the hell out of the clutch, but so you don't try to get wheelspin
-Save up for new gears.
wheel spin is the least of your ocncerns with a stock or slightly modded wrx. the idea behind a clutch slip launch like described above, is so you dont get bog.

if you had enough HP to brake the wheel loose, you would probably be dumping the clutch and modulating throttle.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

nbr1echo is an unknown
Thanks guys

I do appreciate your advice. I'm tellin ya this is the first car I've had that I can say I love you know. When I get back from Iraq again, I'm going to be doing some serious mods to it. I'm looking at dumping about 5k+ into mostly the engine. Again, thanks and I'll be talkin to ya later
post #7 of 7 Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
Yo man,
awd>fwd is on point , do exactly that, and you will have a great 60 time. Also, do you ever go to the rockingham track? I am from Pinehurst, which is like 30 mins south of you, I am just stationed at fort polk. I just know that i about three of my buddies take their rexes down to the rock quite often, if you are looking for worthy oppostion.PM me if you want directions, or i could even give you a contact, I have a lot of friends right around fayette-nam that drives some really groovy turbocharged vehicles(MR2's, VR4's, TSI's, 300's, Etc)

Matt

Also, please smoke the dog shit out of some of those 82nd airborne ricers for me, I miss outrunning those ###s. just the ricers, I'm not in any way saying that i dislike the 82nd, i can't i am in the XVIII airborne corps as well. By the way, that is a nice looking rex ya got there. That trip to Iraq will get your ride to stage 2 quickly, I am going ot Panama later this year, deployment money is a dream, war is a lucrative business, and the women in panama are crazy as well as beautiful.

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement