Subaru WRX Forum banner

tire spin

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
i have an 06 wrx with cobb down pipe, spt intake, cobb pulley, cat back ex. cobb acc. port stage 2. I can not get the car to get off line without tires breaking loose. i rev to about 4000 rps and slip the clutch out

#7 ·
A little wheelspin is not a bad thing, it takes a bit of the stress off of the tranny and clutch. You want to learn how to modulate the clutch pedal to get the car to leave the line smoothly. When i launch my car (with stock gears) i usually launch it around 4500, and slip the clutch out slowly. I usually get a little wheelspin (mostly from the front tires), then the car hooks up, just be careful with the trottle till the car hooks, then roll into it. If you lay into it while the wheels are slipping a little, then you are coing to create more wheelspin, so just be patient, and practice finding that sweet spot where the wheelspin stops. It takes a lot of practice to be able to launch these cars properly. I can usually pull a 1.7-1.8 60 ft time with this method, and haven't hurt my tranny yet.

#9 ·
I have read a lot about modding your tranny on here. What is the most "cost effective" way if you don't have the $$ for PPGs? (How to get more bang for your buck) Before I upgrade my turbo, clutch or anything else. I want to redo my tranny. It's tempting to do all those other things first because you drop more for just the tranny than you can if you got the trubo, clutch, flywheel, exhaust, intercooler, protune, etc...,but I know that if you do that, you are asking for trouble.

#13 ·
Alot of people will tell you that the RAs are better, but most people and numbers say only about 10% stronger than stock. So honestly your best bet is to save and save some more until you can get the PPGs. I know how you feel though about wanting to mod away, but if you want the power and the ability to use it you got to attack and fix the weaker points first, like the tranny. I do know though, here in about 18months Im hoping the wife still says its ok to drop that money into my PPGs, then just waiting around some more until i can get the turbo and all.

#11 ·
Honestly, the cheapest way to strengthen your transmission is to have your stock gears cryogenically treated. Other than a better gear ratio, that's the only difference between our gearsets and the RA gears.

You are in Austin, the cryogenics facility i work with is very close to you in Driftwood, TX. Check out this link:

www.metalscience.com

Other than that, RA gears seem to be the most popular soloution, at about $1400-$1600 per set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.