Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tips for a newbie ?

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  BC_Girl 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this site and I own a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX. I've had it for 7 months. Last summer, about 1 week after I purchased the car I took it to Knoll Gas Motor Sports park in Martin, MI to see if I had what it takes. My best time was 15.12 in the quarter mile, and my best reaction time was .520. Not to float my own boat, I had some good advice from a seasoned racer, but not too shabby for a first timmer right? Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice that may benifit me. I am still learning how to get a good start, an all wheel drive clutch is different than anything I have ever driven before, but I plan to go to an open test and tune on April 5th. I have a good feeling about it because I know my car better, but I don't want to damage my car while I'm just learning. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sara::D

#29 ·
Some people dont have the luxury of having an autocross or rallycross track within a distance that is suitable. Maybe dragging is the only thing around. Me, I have an 1/8 mile strip just around the corner from my house. Nice, easy, and convenent. However, I'm not even sure where the closest autocross track is around these parts. I know these cars aren't made for drag, but i use what i can and keep it off of the streets.

#30 ·
Not saying there's anything wrong with it at all and I applaud you for keeping it off the streets but you have to accept the damage it causes is all. Cars can do more than A to B and a drag race now and then is sure fun but it does have a cost, that's all I'm saying. It's not a car that transitions from the streets to the strip routinely like your average RWD muscle car.

#33 ·
I suppose I wouldn't be so worried if I had a "rainy day" fund to repair any damages I might cause, but just like the rest of us I work hard for my money and I have a family to support, but mosc, your right, u have to pay to play, and its a risk that we take, I guess I'll have to baby it until I save up enough $ to fix a burned out clutch.....until then......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.