Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tips for a newbie ?

6K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  BC_Girl 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this site and I own a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX. I've had it for 7 months. Last summer, about 1 week after I purchased the car I took it to Knoll Gas Motor Sports park in Martin, MI to see if I had what it takes. My best time was 15.12 in the quarter mile, and my best reaction time was .520. Not to float my own boat, I had some good advice from a seasoned racer, but not too shabby for a first timmer right? Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice that may benifit me. I am still learning how to get a good start, an all wheel drive clutch is different than anything I have ever driven before, but I plan to go to an open test and tune on April 5th. I have a good feeling about it because I know my car better, but I don't want to damage my car while I'm just learning. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sara::D

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice, but I'm confused. "You can only build boost under no load conditions when the engine is accelerating at WOT" I'm a driver, my husband is my mechanic, but neither one of us is sure what "WOT" means, could you elaborate?

#7 ·
Holy @#$%! What a difference. Had it out practicing my launch yesterday and I couldn't beleive how much power my car actually has now that I am learning how to drive it. I had to read that article a few times before I understood what I should do, but I reved it up to 3000rpm then right before I wanted to go I took it to 5000 and dropped the clutch. It launched like it had been kicked in the rear. Think I held the clutch a little too long though for fear of shock loading, because I could smell it burning. Can't do that again those things aren't cheap to replace. Anyways, thanks for the advice it really helped. Just have to get my %^&* foot off the clutch a little faster and I think maybe I should take it to 5500rpm to get a little more @#$% and get out of it.

#9 ·
i gots a question. it says rev up to 3k-3500 then at the lights go up to 5500 and release the clutch fast and smooth. ok so do u get the same response from ## car if u just rev to 5500 when u pull up.... i dont understand y u need to go to 3k 1st. can anyone explain.

#20 ·
It's what shows up when you use a restricted word. People too lazy to use you're and your often just put a u followed by an r which is incredibly lazy. In an effort to clean things up, it was restricted like a curse word.

#22 · (Edited)
I agree, if your driving a rally car auto is useless. if your driving a track car auto is useless. if your driving a back mountain road with some friends auto is useless. and if you really want to win a drag race go get a camaro or mustang.( yes I said it!) I just can't understand why so many of us are obsessed with the one type of racing that our cars are least suited for. I don't think i have ever lead off the line in a drag but so far i haven't lined up with anything that could keep up after first gear. not even a late model corvette kept up over any kind of distance. and in the end the subies handling lead me over the horizon while he was still stuck in traffic.
I say this all just to vent, I still value launching and everyone should practice the afore mentioned tech. I myself use launch control on romraider and it works very well. but like I said I never sweat it when I'm behind on the shift to second. because when boost hits the competition comes up short.

we all drive a handling car. lets go race some corners!

no where above do I mention street racing. I in no way support street racing. not pissed, just saying;)

#24 ·
mosc: thanks for that, I agree that the street is no place for dragging, that's why I take it to the track, controlled environment and all. If I screw up on the track I don't risk killing the family of four in the minivan just trying to go to church.
bocaks: I know my car isn't the best suited for dragging, but I don't know any rally tracks in my area and dragging just feels right. I could go get a stang or a piece of @#$% camaro, but I LOVE MY WRX, there's just nothing like it.

#26 ·
amen to mr04. auto*****s are only for the serious drag racers. manuals are way too much fun and u cant beat having control over your car like u do in a manual. but back to the topic. i would be carefull not to go over 5000rpm. at least not in a non-sti. but i concur that it is better to burn a clutch than to brake a gear. replacing the clutch isnt fun but im sure its better than replacing a gear. good luck with the launches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.