My wife and I are taking her car to the track tonight for the first time. With the mods listed what is the best way to launch it being an automatic. I have quite a bit of racing experience in various vehicles, but I have never ran this one down the 1/4. It is obviously not a race car, we just want to see what kind of numbers it will put up.
04 WRX Automatic
Cobb Stage II
Turbo XS-Turbo back
S&B Drop-in filter, silencer removed
Last edited by Gangkopff; 06-01-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Reason: mods not listed
1. (left foot on brake, right on gas) At a complete stop, put the car into N.
2. Start revving until you feel the brake pedal depress. (usually a quick rev to 5k RPM does the trick)
3. WAIT until the revs drop all the way back down, and put the car back into D.
4. With your left foot still firmly planted on the brake pedal, start revving the engine. You should see RPM's climb to around 2400 rpm and stall. After 2-3 seconds it'll start rising and you should hit around 3200 RPM.
5. Once at this RPM take your foot off the brake, and hold on for dear life!
I never could get it to launch right yesterday. The way they rushed everyone through the tree didn't give me time to go through the whole routine. The car launched very soft then came on strong as soon as the boost hit. I only had a 2.5 sec 60' time, 9.99 sec 1/8 mile @ 76.09mph, and 15.14 sec 1/4 mile @96.30 mph. Does anyone know how hard it is to install a torque converter?
Just came across this post. Gonna try this out today with my 04. I've wondered how to get rid of the slow start. I never would have bought a auto WRX but my wife hates manual, thus had to compromise. One positive is the constant pull with little to no despooling due to no clutching!