Subaru WRX Forum banner

Race gas good or bad?

6K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  lucky4586 
#1 ·
I'm going to go to the drag strip on friday and I know they sell race fuel there but was wondering if it would harm the engine. I don't know what the octane rating is but if it helps it's Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, CA. Any input would be helpful. BTW I know Subarus are not made for drag racing but there's no road courses that I know of and I want ot see what this car is capable of in terms of 0-60, 1/8, and 1/4 mile.

#3 ·
Chris Rx said:
i asked this question on here a while ago, they responded with. if you dont have an EM setup, or new turbo there is no point to run anything higher then 93. someone correct me if im wrong
Your pretty much right.
Most likely the gas there is leaded which is bad for your cats and injectors.

#6 ·
Race gas is great, if you're tuned for it. For your car, go with whatever your premium is. You won't really benefit from the higher octane the way your car sits right now.

#7 ·
C16 will net you Large gains on the Dyno with supporting mods when Tuned for it, but if not don't bother throwing your money on 8 bucks a gallon.. Even the $5 turbo Blue is a waste in our cars.. A more cost efficient option is Pump + Meth Injection.. With tuning this combination eliminates the need for Race / Street Gas..

#13 ·
I finally got a chance to post my times! I'm actually kind of dissapointed but here it is 14.6@92mph. I know I could've done better but it was like a hundred degrees and I was runnin the stock Potenza RE92A's. Any way next time it won't be bone stock. Let me know what you guys think.

#14 ·
was that your first time at a track, b/c if it was that's not too horrorible. did you adjust your tire pressure, remove spare or anything. also letting your car sit as long as possible between runs and possibly icing your intercooler would also help a considerable amount. i bet you could easily shave .5 off your et just by doing that stuff and practicing launching. although there have been several people running as low as 13.6-13.8 bone stock, atleast from what i've seen. hey goodluck man

#15 ·
14.5 is the usual bone stock for a WRX. Especially if it was hot outside (has less to do with the intercooler than with the air intace) those numbers are pretty good. What were your 60' times? That's really where you can see how good a job you did.

#16 ·
Well my first run was 14.956@92.50mph 60' 2.205 and then a very long (1hr 30min) wait for second run (someone spilled oil on the track) the whole time I had a bag of ice sitting on the intercooler then I ran the 14.662@92.88mph 60' 2.112. As far as tire inflation the first run I was in the middle of lowering the pressure when the line started moving in the staging lanes so i only got the rear tires done at 26psi. and the fronts were at about 40psi, that run I spun all four tires when I launched at about 5k. then second run I got the tire pressure right all the way around and got a nice launch at bit lower rpm about 4300rpm. My tire's are Bridgstone Potenza RE92A's size 215/45/17. I think on a good day I would probably do about a 14.4 all stock.

#21 ·
Chris Rx said:
here in cali 91 is the highest, i said 93 cus in other states 93 is common. i heard here in cali there are some stations that have 93 up to 100, but i still have yet to see them.
Ive only seen one station with 100 oct...its in mission viejo..I think thats like an hour from u ..I'm getting my car tuned for 100 oct...it should be done tommorow...my buddy is a high oct dealer so thats how I'm getting it..a lot cheaper going threw that route....I'll let u guys know what type of numbers I put down..

#23 ·
I know of a couple places that sell 100 octane, highest rating sold in california that won't harm the cats on street cars.

But like any other car unless your tune or mods ask for higher octane because of timing etc. then it's not going to do much good.

#24 ·
I got a PDX race gas map (and a new base map) for $200. I don't have a protuner within 300 miles of me, so that was the way to go. I'm mapped for 100 no lead, which I can get 35 miles of twisty canyon road from where I live @4.60 per gal. Life is good !! I'm going to try Torco race gas concentrate for next years track events, since fuel is quite expensive at the tracks I run. So far, after only one track day, I'm happy with their maps. I'll post after I try the Torco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.