Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Drag Strip Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   preparing for the track (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/preparing-track-23836/)

boost_556 07-29-2008 09:39 AM

preparing for the track

hey guys
i will be hiting the track this friday its WRX/Sti Vs Evo shootout.Now i have never adjusted my tire pressure when racing on the track but i know everyone does it i am sure it helps with your 60 ft ect.My question is what tire pressure i should run i have 17" wheels with falken azenis 215/45/17.Also i might be using some 100 octane race gas.I am aimimg for some low times like 12's
thanks

turmic 07-29-2008 10:07 AM

I don't know about the tire pressure. But, I'm hopeing you have some sort of tune or quick flash for the race gas or i'd assume you'd be pissing away money for nothing.

Edit: sorry, just now saw your other posts. ;)

boost_556 07-29-2008 01:57 PM

i am thinking more like 24-26 psi let me know if i am wrong.

mosc 07-29-2008 04:03 PM

The tune on your car is mostly what determines the power (or boost) you'll be hitting. Higher octane gas gives more POTENTIAL but the car must be tuned to USE that potential. What the above posters were getting at is that you can put 100 octane fuel in there if you want but if it's still using a map designed for 91 minimum, you're not going to see any gains at all.

boost_556 07-29-2008 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=mosc;201661]The tune on your car is mostly what determines the power (or boost) you'll be hitting. Higher octane gas gives more POTENTIAL but the car must be tuned to USE that potential. What the above posters were getting at is that you can put 100 octane fuel in there if you want but if it's still using a map designed for 91 minimum, you're not going to see any gains at all.[/QUOTE]

thanks for that piece of advise Mosc, i think it was tuned with 93 Oct, also what tire pressure is good to run on the track?

mosc 07-29-2008 04:47 PM

If it's tuned for 93 octane, guess what you should use?

If by "track" you mean drag strip, you shouldn't need to worry much about your air pressure. There are things to discuss in terms of air pressure reducing wheel spin but you have AWD so wheel spin should not be an issue.

Basically, drive up and go. Sorry if that's not very dramatic.

pzr2874 07-30-2008 05:58 AM

He was referring to "track" not drag. [color=red]*EDITED*[/color] At a "track" more pressure is needed.

I thought he was referring to a real "track".... Not dragstrip.

[color=red]pls be respectful of moderators. You can complain all you want in PM
-mosc[/color]

boost_556 07-30-2008 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=pzr2874;201700]He was referring to "track" not drag *EDITED* At a "track" more pressure is needed.

I thought he was referring to a real "track".... Not dragstrip.[/QUOTE]

ok sorry guys i mean DRAG STRIP i will be a little more specific next time.
But yeah we are AWD so i guess traction should not be a prob.
thanks