poor 1/4 mile times - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 46 Old 12-18-2004, 07:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

SpeedDoc is an unknown
WRX Tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Racer
well my shift points came from the fact that my local 1/8 mile strip is never crowded on test and tune days, I have probably made 40 passes, just dont launch hard, let your intercooler cool off between runs, and your car can handle LOTS of runs in one night.

*trial and error*

but as for a good rule of thumb just try to notice when your car stops pulling hard, and when you know if you shifted it would pull harder, it is all about torque to the pavement... well at least for the first 1/8 mile.

really the biggest secret is that knowing your car can mean the difference between a 16 second 1/4 mile and a mid 14s time. Practice makes perfect.

Also the first gear ratio sucks a lot on a WRX so I shift to second at a lot lower an RPM than I shift into third.

I picked up my '05 WRX last night and am wondering what can be done about the 5sp. Even with the Subaru short-throw shifter it seems a little sloppy and you can drive a truck through the ratio spacing. I'm used to the sublime 6sp in my '01 S2000 and might consider swapping out the 5sp for the 6sp from the STi but am wondering if there's a cheaper "fix." Any suggestions?

ab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement