poor 1/4 mile times - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 05-23-2003, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
Angry poor 1/4 mile times

I ran my car at the track a few weeks ago and was dissappointed. I have no mods beside a blitz nur-spec muffler section and a TXS BOV. I ran a 14.73 as my best time. I know it's not my driving. I had great 60 foot times and the like. It was a rather hot day and I didn't have any ice to cool my intercooler between runs. Is it possible that the temp and conditions that day are the reason for my slow times? I don't know the elevation but the temp was around 85.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 06-01-2003, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
dont feel bad at all im from puerto rico and here is very hot and a stocker w a regular driver the most he makes is from 14.8 to 15.1 ive seenbeter times but w better drivers ,here temp is 80's to the 100's
post #3 of 46 Old 06-06-2003, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostedBoxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBoxer
could be slow shifting, and shifting at the wrong place....what was your 60ft?

"pure adrenaline attached to a license plate...isn't it time to experience one yourself?" - Dan Gurney

|-Boost Is Bliss-|
post #4 of 46 Old 07-24-2003, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
I've got the same problem. I've got a 3" turbo-back and gutted uppipe and could only manage a 14.6 @ 92mph (2.08 60ft). I know it's not the launch because I've seen other people that have a 2 sec 60ft and no mods at all that are faster than me.

I think some WRX's are just slower than others. Has nothing to do with the driver or conditions some cars are just weaker.

Use it or lose it!
post #5 of 46 Old 07-24-2003, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
its foolish to say that the performance doesnot depend on driver and the weather conditions yes some car are faster than other but those two aspects make the difference
post #6 of 46 Old 07-24-2003, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
What I meant by that is, Being a beginner I ran my car it's best at 14.6 @92mph. If you put an expert in my car I'm willing to bet he can't cut off more than a 1/4 of a second, which is still considered slow for a car that has a turbo-back and uppipe.

Use it or lose it!
post #7 of 46 Old 07-25-2003, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
No, that's not a bad time. Especially at the elevation you are at. I understand that you guys have uppipes/turbo backs/whatever. But those mods alone don't add much power. You get the majority of power by raising boost and adding fuel. The uppipe and turbo back allow you to safely raise boost, but don't do a whole lot for power by themselves.

Mid 14's is nothing to be ashamed of, considering your car is pretty much stock.
post #8 of 46 Old 07-25-2003, 09:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
Quote:
The uppipe and turbo back allow you to safely raise boost, but don't do a whole lot for power by themselves.
I disagree. My turbo-back alone gave me 20whp more over the stock system. My uppipe is good for another 5whp. That hp increase is equivalent to raising my boost about 2psi.

Quote:
Mid 14's is nothing to be ashamed of, considering your car is pretty much stock.
Some people are running 14.2's completely stock. I've got 25 more hp and I'm running almost a 1/2 slower.

Use it or lose it!
post #9 of 46 Old 07-25-2003, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
20 peak hp? That won't help you in the 1/4 mile much, where most of your time is spent below redline.

Engine management will give you power where you can use it.
post #10 of 46 Old 07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXMan is an unknown
Yeah with a chip you will beable to utilize the turboback and uppipe more. Look into a utec or some other engine management.
post #11 of 46 Old 07-25-2003, 11:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mattr762 is an unknown
I agree engine management is a must, and I will be getting the AccessECU and soon as funds are availible.

Quote:
20 peak hp? That won't help you in the 1/4 mile much, where most of your time is spent below redline.
My 20 peak hp is at 6400rpm. When drag racing my RPM's stay between 5000 and 7000 RPM. So I think my 20 peak whp is right where I need it.

Use it or lose it!
post #12 of 46 Old 09-01-2003, 01:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

TKOPerf is an unknown
Absolutely. Drage racing is about the only area where peak power matters a lot more than the curve. That 25 HP gain should be good for 2 tenths of your ET, netting you a low 14 or a high 13 in optimum conditions.

Stock cars can run 14.20s with an experienced driver and good conditions. Conditions make a world of difference. Heat an humidity will kill the times of a turbo car, because it is easy to heat soak the intercooler.

What are your 60 ft. times? You should be shooting for a 1.85 in good conditions. 60 ft. times make or break a run in a WRX. Even if you are pulling down 2.1 or 2.2 times you should be able to run a 14.8-14.6 in good weather. What launch technique are you using?

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
post #13 of 46 Old 09-01-2003, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hmm. Well, we seem to differ here. Of course, what do I know? I've only been drag racing for 12 years. I currently own a low 10 second big block F-body, and have run Sportsman, Pro-Mod, and Pro-Stock bikes in my time.
post #14 of 46 Old 09-07-2003, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxpeed is an unknown
I'm completely stock and ran 14.4

[img]http://www.wrxtuners.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1263&papass=&sort=1[/img]
post #15 of 46 Old 09-09-2003, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostedBoxer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBoxer
Quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
No, that's not a bad time. Especially at the elevation you are at. I understand that you guys have uppipes/turbo backs/whatever. But those mods alone don't add much power. You get the majority of power by raising boost and adding fuel. The uppipe and turbo back allow you to safely raise boost, but don't do a whole lot for power by themselves.

stock sti=260ish-awhp...depending on which dyno you use and temp/weather
stock sti with just a txs turbo back=285+awhp

and it only raises boost .2 psi and doesnt add fuel....

"pure adrenaline attached to a license plate...isn't it time to experience one yourself?" - Dan Gurney

|-Boost Is Bliss-|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement