New Rex looking for opinions. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-17-2008, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
New Rex looking for opinions.

Howdy Folks,
I recently purchased a 03 wrx. Now i have no plans to rush into dragging it...(Though i really want to) But id like to get to know the car first. This is my first turbocharged car and i bought one with all the bells and whistles. Anyone have any opinions on what i might see for quarter mile times with this list of mods. (sorry kinda long) power enterprise 1820 turbo, aps dr550 front mount intercoole,r power enterprise 650cc fuel injectors, 255lph walbro fuel pump, perrin fuel rails, turbo xs cat-back exhaust, 3" stainless steel midpipe,
4" stainless steel downpipe, 3" stainless steel high flow cat, perrin uppipe, turbo xs hp boost controller (Set at 16lbs) hks turbo timer, turbo xs rfl bov, aps cold air intake, perrin springs, kyb struts, seibon carbon fiber hood. i also have the turbo xs utech for it un-installed which im not going to mess with myself being the noob i am. But any feedback you guys could give me id appreciate it. Thanks peeps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Well hopefully the car is tuned for that setup. If it is it should run relatively quick, but that depends on your launch and driving habits/techniques. Read on here, there is a nice "How To" on launching a WRX so as not to destroy the tranny.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
Yea im hoping its tuned right too. Ive been having what seems to be a rich backfire from my car. Now when i bought the car the kid i bought it from gave me a turbo xs utech system but it wasnt installed. He said he had it taken out and had the car re-tuned to get better gas mileage. So im trying to drive the car as little as possible till i get the utech put back in and the car re-tuned. Im just really hoping he didnt set it back to the stock map with the setup it has. But quick question. Is the utech something i can put in and tune myself, with maybe some help from a friend? I have a buddy whos very good with DSM link, who owns a GSX eclipse. Is it similar to that?
post #4 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
You need a Widebadn o2 sensor to tune a car.

Id lose the boost controller and get a gm 3 port boost control solenoid.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
^^^ What he said.

The UTEC is a very easy installation. Pull the carpet up on the passenger side, pull the X shaped plate off, attach the UTEC to the ECU, plug the connectors off the ECU into the UTEC and the UTEC connectors into the ECU. Put the X plate back on with the standoffs and you're done.

To tune the car, get on TurboXS and see if they have a base map that is close to your set up. Set the UTEC to map 1 and upload the tune via serial cable and hyperterminal. If it's not connected to the car, use the 9v battery attachment to get power to the UTEC. Personally, I would do this part first. That way it's in the UTEC before it ever takes control of the car.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #6 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
ok so ive been on turbo xs to look at the maps they have can you gimme a link to exactly where id go for the downloads, just to make sure i wasnt in the wrong in where i was looking? And where do i look for the boost control solenoid
post #7 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooms789 View Post
ok so ive been on turbo xs to look at the maps they have can you gimme a link to exactly where id go for the downloads, just to make sure i wasnt in the wrong in where i was looking? And where do i look for the boost control solenoid
heres a link to a BCS
Perrin Performance - Boost Control Solenoid
I guess you can look around other sites for it cheaper but its gonna be around the same price.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
thanks man, ya i didnt understand either why he had a UTEC set up and still had the MBC, but i just ordered the BCS.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Please tell me you didn't order the one from Perrin. I just ordered mine from GM Parts Direct and only paid $45 shipped for both the BCS and the pigtail. Wish I would have posted this sooner.

Anyway, try this one if your turbo is an IHI VF3X. The X is just a space holder, ie VF34 or VF39.
Turbo XS - Software updates

That will give you the UTEC firmware 5.8 as well as the base maps and parameters. When I had the UTEC, I loaded stage 1 on map 1, stage 2 on map 2, stage 3 on map 3, and stage 4 on map 4. I also had the selector switch so I could use the valet and security modes. Love the valet mode.

Anyway, I never really made it past stage 1 with the UTEC. Got a little bored with it and couldn't see myself spending over $200 for a tune. Ended up going with ROMraider which is free. The tuning cable and jumper will run you $91 new. A dyno tune will run you around $125, maybe up to $200 depending on the tuner and what mods are done.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
hey thanks for the heads up, i actually got it in time to cancel the order with perrin. But yea thats where i was looking on the turbo xs site but thanks for the link. but when going to stage 2 and up why were you paying 200 plus to get the tune from a shop?
post #11 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

That's what a local UTEC tuner charges for a 2 hour session. For the OpenECU tuner, he only charged me 125 for a Stage 4 tune. I'll be giving him another 75 for a C12 tune once I get the car fixed.

Did you find the GM site or do you need a link?

post #12 of 15 Old 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

subiespike is an unknown
i have a perrin ebcs for ya

You just got smoked by a 4 Banger!
post #13 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
so is the utech something i can install and set up the stage 1, and then take to a tuner after? and how much you lookin to get to the perrin ebcs?
post #14 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
ok so i put the utec back in, but realized the kid didnt give me the software to run it on the laptop. Now the utec works, when the car is on the red led lights up, and i only drove it from my house to my girls house about 2 minutes down the road and it seems to be fine. You can notice it pushing a little more boost, and the idling problem i had is actually better. But, did i do the right thing? like i said i just put it in and ran it i didnt get to read anything and its going next thursday for the tune. Should i take the utec back out? and the kid is meeting me to give me the software tommorow. let me know asap. i wont be driving the car until tomorrow but id like to know so i can take it out before i drive it.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tooms789 is an unknown
also for those who want to know my boost gauge doesnt read the correct boost so i know it was running 15 but when i say i noticed it pushing more im not sure how much. The boost gauge doesnt go past 10psi, and the guy who put it in said because the sensor cant read right because the piping from the turbo is too big????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement