need advise how to launch - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-15-2003, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
need advise how to launch

need advise on how to launch the sooby for the best 1/4 mile at how many rpm launch? whats the best rpm to shift ? any one ? launched my friends sooby at 4000rpm first gear and we almost hit the roof of the car with the jump it made and it did not felt like the right launch???? new to all wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2003, 12:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
It's only practice. You probably let go of the clutch a bit too soon. Try and hold on to it a bit longer even if you feel a bit unconfortable until you get the idea. But get it quick because it's REALLY bad for the clutch to drag it all the way or depress it "in a wrong manner".

P.S.

POR FIN!!!

Today I saw a black WRX at the Colegio (UPR de mayaguez). Let's see if we invent something...
#3 Old 01-17-2003, 07:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

koki is an unknown
hey you know on ponce the department of labor a new building near the beach? close by to it its where the boats of uscs and fura are serviced is called global marine ,thats our second shop facility im manager of the fura contract so quite often i go over there and do work maybe we will meet in el tuque one day thats why i asked about it the day before.. take care
#4 Old 01-18-2003, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

AWD WRX is an unknown
Launching

I have been in the turbo world for some time now and I am quite the perfectionist. I have noticed searching through this site that launching is quite a problem for some of you guys.

At first I had a 92 Eclipse all wheel drive and that is where I started. After months of different techniques I found the one that worked the best and NEVER failed in my Eclipse I pulled 1.7 60 ft all day. People say launching a AWD isn't rocket science I laugh at those people because unlike RWD and FWD you can't just leave it at a steady RPM and pop the clutch. You actually have to use a process. When I am at the track and I line up I wait for the first yellow light then as soon as the light comes on I floor it and at the last yellow I slip the clutch out but don't slip it to slow or your loosing power and don't slip it to fast or your car will bog out and your launch will be one worth laughing at you have to find a happy median. When I slip the clutch out it's around 5500 rpm and I leave almost everyone out the hole.

The reason you floor it is to build boost which more boost is more power out the hole which is obviously good. If you have a aftermarket boost guage you will notce that you are at about 7 psi when you slip the clutch out at 5500 rpm. This launching technique dominates the competition you will scare your compeditor and he will pop the clutch mess up his launch and light his tires up or if he's all wheel drive he will probably bog if he pops it. Everyone I know with a AWD now uses this technique after they tried it their was no better way which is what they tell me.

Sorry to be so long winded but I had to give you the exact details. But anyway good luck if you get this down then your 60 ft time will change for the better.
#5 Old 01-20-2003, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

bodybuildr is an unknown
If you want to "launch" an automatic is it safe to revthe trainy in "N" and then drop it into "D" or is tis a no-no. Or is it better to throw it into "1", "2", "3", "D"?

thanx for the info
#6 Old 01-20-2003, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD WRX is an unknown
With a automatic like you said start in first 2nd drive. Always get to the line before the other person and give yourself time to build boost by powerbrakeing (basically hold the brake floor it and watch your boost build as high as it will and then when you see the last yellow let off the brake) this is not stressfull and it works I tried it with my friends supra and it was actually really impressive, all the automatic supre guys and Grand National guys use this technique so it will work. I tried it in a 99 auto GSX and I was happy with the launch. If possible I am not sure if they make one or not but look up and see if they make torque converters for the WRX. But to be honest their is nothing like a AWD launch in a Manual. Well actually I pulled a 1.9 60ft in the supra so who knows.
#7 Old 01-23-2003, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

bodybuildr is an unknown
Is there a rev limiter with the WRX for when the break is on????
I tried the above and my tech never went past 2200 rpms and my understanding was the turbo doesn't activate until 3000 rpms...?????
#8 Old 01-24-2003, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

AWD WRX is an unknown
When you have a automatic their is a limiter when you are holding the brake everything you said is normal just when you do it watch your stock boost guage build boost trust me it works.
#9 Old 02-16-2003, 11:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

EVILWRX02 is an unknown
Cool WRX Launch

Alright ive read all the replies to the launch techniques and rocket science and blah blah blah and 2nd generation drivers of turbo and yeah that. Ok im a first gen. AWD turbo driver and im a read and try guy. I love street racing along with track racing and ive tried practically every way everyone is talkin about launch wise. Good info about the automatic launching I agree.
#10 Old 02-16-2003, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

EVILWRX02 is an unknown
Cool WRX Launch

Alright ive read all the replies to the launch techniques and rocket science and blah blah blah and 2nd generation drivers of turbo and yeah that. Ok im a first gen. AWD turbo driver and im a read and try guy. I love street racing along with track racing and ive tried practically every way everyone is talkin about launch wise. Good info about the automatic launching I agree.

Getting down to business and to the more important things. Launching an AWD turbo. I give alot of props to (I dont know your sn but I saw someone talkin about when the first yellow light goes to rev your engin to let the boost go up.). Boost is very important when launching the scooby. But to better your suggestion when you are on the line and your heart is pumping keep tapping the accelerator to gain boost. Hitting your gas peddle and releasing it many times is what im talkin about. You have to do this really quick. So when you tap the accelerator and let it go, bring it up to about 4.5-5000rpm and let it go. And for all of you that are like me and you dont know wtf anyone ever is talkin about when trying to explain it what you are going to do is (Tap Tap Tap Tap last yellow light push peddle let up clutch and watch your car jump towards the finish line faster than ever before)

PS

If you still dont understand reply and ill try explaining it better. I dont know how but ill try.

Billy
#11 Old 03-25-2003, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWRX0983 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SWRX0983
I found out a pretty good way to launch an auto. Hold the brake down all the way, then floor your car. When you get your rmp up to about 2200 or so pull up the parking brake. You'll see your car jump to 3000 easy. I don't know how good this is for the car though. Does anyone know if it hurts the trans more then if i did a regular brake torque?
#12 Old 05-21-2003, 02:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

2003wrx is an unknown
Re: Launching

Quote:
Originally posted by AWD WRX
I have been in the turbo world for some time now and I am quite the perfectionist. I have noticed searching through this site that launching is quite a problem for some of you guys.

At first I had a 92 Eclipse all wheel drive and that is where I started. After months of different techniques I found the one that worked the best and NEVER failed in my Eclipse I pulled 1.7 60 ft all day. People say launching a AWD isn't rocket science I laugh at those people because unlike RWD and FWD you can't just leave it at a steady RPM and pop the clutch. You actually have to use a process. When I am at the track and I line up I wait for the first yellow light then as soon as the light comes on I floor it and at the last yellow I slip the clutch out but don't slip it to slow or your loosing power and don't slip it to fast or your car will bog out and your launch will be one worth laughing at you have to find a happy median. When I slip the clutch out it's around 5500 rpm and I leave almost everyone out the hole.

The reason you floor it is to build boost which more boost is more power out the hole which is obviously good. If you have a aftermarket boost guage you will notce that you are at about 7 psi when you slip the clutch out at 5500 rpm. This launching technique dominates the competition you will scare your compeditor and he will pop the clutch mess up his launch and light his tires up or if he's all wheel drive he will probably bog if he pops it. Everyone I know with a AWD now uses this technique after they tried it their was no better way which is what they tell me.

Sorry to be so long winded but I had to give you the exact details. But anyway good luck if you get this down then your 60 ft time will change for the better.
Arent you going to ruin your transmission using this technique? Do you need to upgrade the clutch due to the slipping you are doing on the stock clutch?
#13 Old 10-25-2003, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

caliwrxsun is an unknown
JUST A QUESTION, SO BASICALY i'm getting the idea that NO ONE is sugesting completely lettting go of the clutch, at your desired rev, by i this i mean "POPPING" the clutch? couse thats the way i was tought, on DSM'S and i was hitting 1.7 60 foots! , i need to know this specificaly becouse popping the clutch , and releasing it fast , are 2 VERY different things, and realy dont want to break my new toy!!!!! so if anyone knows let me know!!!

Calisunshine come visit , just dont stop at stop signs with bullet holes in it....
#14 Old 10-25-2003, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Well the clutch linkages on DSMs are different. The clutch linkage on WRXs are Hydralic while the ones on DSMs are Cable. So with a DSM you can pop and go, but with a WRX you cant, since the friction point is either a hit or miss situation.

Che
#15 Old 10-25-2003, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SloRice
NEVER "pop" or "sidestep" the clutch on WRX's. Thats just gonna equal to a broken 1st gear. Its a very quick release. Tom Payn from Payn Technologies showed me how he launches his car and he has consistant 1.80 60 foot times. He puts the revs right at 6000rpm and quickly releases the clutch....the car launched hard......real hard! So I went to the track and did this. I slipped the clutch a tad bit more than him b/c I like my tranny. But I'm getting consistant 1.82-1.85 60 ft times. Also the reason for such a high launch RPM is b/c you want the tires to break loose a little bit.....this will also put a little less stress on the drivetrain.

Tim