Launching My Wrx - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 06-05-2008, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Oops, I meant 500 not 50.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
BC Girl, you might consider picking up a Cobb short ram or an SPT intake. Both actually work with the car unlike that CAI...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#48 Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Wich one would you recommend? Short ram or SPT? I drag occasionally, but it's pretty much just my DD until I can afford more mods and another DD.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#49 Old 06-08-2008, 01:11 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The SPT is the same design as Cobbs, just with SPT on it. Check for classified listing for eiher of them.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#50 Old 06-08-2008, 10:26 AM

Garage
COBB short ram, not anybody else's short ram. COBB and SPT are the only brands to look at.

#51 Old 06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
COBB short ram, not anybody else's short ram. COBB and SPT are the only brands to look at.
Umm, I have an AEM and haven't had a single problem with it.

#52 Old 06-09-2008, 12:06 AM

Garage
It's been dyno proven to cost you power but that's different than running poorly I guess...

#53 Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
It's been dyno proven to cost you power but that's different than running poorly I guess...
Ever since Prodrive had AEM make their CAI,the AEM ones have been redesigned.Also AEM is now manufacuring parts for SPT.Now which version is on anyones car is a different story but for the most part anyone with the dryflow filter should be good.On a WRX you won't get much more than sound from a CAI but the gains are obvious on a stage 2 STI.Never the less,the MAF signal seems pretty good.Also I have found recently,from spending alot of time on the Opensource forums,the stock MAF scaling has much to be desired with even the stock airbox.With the new MAF and injector scaling tools developed on Romraider it makes it very easy to rescale the MAF (and injectors) and really be able to see data in graph form.Makes it very easy to interperate how much of your scaling is off and where.

Harman Motive Blog 2007 STI Intake Test - Harman Motive Style
AEM - SPT and AEM develop performance parts

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#54 Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Guess I should have been a bit more specific. I have an AEM Short Ram with a Dryflow. Haven't had any power loss that is noticable.

#55 Old 06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
For people into drag racing,a short ram can hinder performance especially durring warmer temps.Unfortunally there have been many cases of detonation (knock) durring the hotter weather because of the increased IAT's from underhood temps.IAT's affect timing big time.So when timing is sky high and you puch it and suck in that burst of hot air,do not expect good things (whether it be performance or knock).The K&N,SPT and Cobb will be the better ones as long as you use the heatsheilds.But the stock box is still better than all of them.It's 100% sealed and made of ABS plastic which is much more resistant to heatsoak than the poo-poo aluminim piping or cats aluminum that most are made of.Cobb I think might be the only one that is made from a resin base.But none of those heatsheilds are even close sealing the intake from the underhood temps 100%.

#56 Old 06-11-2008, 05:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
For people into drag racing,a short ram can hinder performance especially durring warmer temps.Unfortunally there have been many cases of detonation (knock) durring the hotter weather because of the increased IAT's from underhood temps.IAT's affect timing big time.So when timing is sky high and you puch it and suck in that burst of hot air,do not expect good things (whether it be performance or knock).The K&N,SPT and Cobb will be the better ones as long as you use the heatsheilds.But the stock box is still better than all of them.It's 100% sealed and made of ABS plastic which is much more resistant to heatsoak than the poo-poo aluminim piping or cats aluminum that most are made of.Cobb I think might be the only one that is made from a resin base.But none of those heatsheilds are even close sealing the intake from the underhood temps 100%.
Is there anything you don't know? I think I'm going to get a stock intake. The Injen CAI I have is short ram I think. How dose humidity affect them?

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#57 Old 06-11-2008, 06:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
it's not a big deal and won't effect much unless it's got serious damage. The stock design is kinda flimsy but it works.

Sorry, I'm kinda bitter about the whole Americans not knowing shit about the metric system thing. I more agree with the rest of the world that thinks furlongs are a little out-dated.

Kilopascal [kpa] To Psi [psi] Converter

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#58 Old 06-11-2008, 01:05 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
Is there anything you don't know? I think I'm going to get a stock intake. The Injen CAI I have is short ram I think. How dose humidity affect them?
Humidity affects forced induction vehicles in gerneral not so much intakes.

#59 Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Garage
the SPT's intake has a pretty good heat shield. It's not exactly in engine bay type shorty that a lot of WRX's run. Just staying it's a lot better than most.

#60 Old 06-11-2008, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Ok, but doesn't the turbo heat the air quite a bit more than ambient temps? Thought that's why we have intercoolers and watersprayers