Launching My Wrx - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
It sounds like it would bring my times down, but I have one question. Shifting with my foot to the floor between shifts, that's better with the 60/40 diff? Not too rough on my clutch?
OK 2 questions.
With the 60/40 or with the 50/50, the idea is the same. Maximum boost as quickly as possible. I was spiking boost around 22psi during my most recent data log by doing this.

Any launch is going to be rough on the clutch. Because you have the 04 5-speed, you won't need to shift between gears as early as someone with an STi or someone with the BA transmission like me.

Again, this is the way I launch. You're welcome to use it but let me warn you it is difficult to get perfect. I know I haven't even gotten close. Shifting from 1st to 2nd, I occasionally hit the rev limiter. I've even done it from 2nd to 3rd. That time, I ran 14.0. Knew I could do better, shifted about 100 RPM sooner, ran 13.7 without hitting the rev limiter. Had a little wheel spin but not much. Probably could have shaved another tenth off by dropping the tire pressure but didn't want to overheat the clutch any more than I already had.

The best advice I can give you, go 80% on your first couple runs to get the hang of it. Ignore the ETs on those runs, just concentrate on your reaction to the light and when you need to shift. Once you get the hang of it, go full out. Between runs, PARK IT for about 10 minutes or so. This will give your clutch time to cool off some so you get the grip you need. If at any point you feel the clutch is slipping, PARK IT and let the car cool off. I've overheated my clutch, tried to drive home and all I got was slip. Thankfully, after cooling off, the clutch gripped again.

That clutch has been since replaced with a ceramic 6-puck. Haven't figured out how to slip it yet. And to all those who argue about stock transmission = stock clutch, you're wrong. If the whole car is stock, yes. I only have had one problem that the transmission shop has never seen before. The snap ring that holds the viscous coupler in shattered.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Ok, another question....my boost gauge (after market) reads in MPs. It was on the car when I bought it. It says that the highest boost that my car is getting is 1MP. What is that in psi? I have absolutley no idea what kind of boost I'm pushing. It's only a stock turbo. Also, the "veins" in my intercooler have some places where they are pinched. I'll post a pic as soon I get one, but will that cause me any problems?

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#33 Old 06-03-2008, 03:24 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You have a factory option gauge I assume. You're not getting 1 MPa, you need to first learn how to READ the gauge... 1 MPa is 145 lbs of boost. You're missing the little decimal dot in front of it which means .1 MPa which is 14.5 lbs of boost. The next thing to realize is that gauge is crap and totally inaccurate. It's useful for looking pretty and letting you know that your turbo is actually giving SOME boost but as far as measuring your max boost, it's fairly useless.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#34 Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Well, glad I didn't pay for it. Yeah, you're right, it's .1mpa. OK, what about the pinched veins in my intercooler?

#35 Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Garage
it's not a big deal and won't effect much unless it's got serious damage. The stock design is kinda flimsy but it works.

Sorry, I'm kinda bitter about the whole Americans not knowing shit about the metric system thing. I more agree with the rest of the world that thinks furlongs are a little out-dated.

#36 Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Yeah, math is not my best subject, but i do my dosage calculations in metric, and I have no problem with that. Ask me to figure out how much morphine to give a patient and I can do it in my head, ask me to figure out something like...oh I don't know...psi? I'm screwed.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...rasPics035.jpg

Here's my intercooler, it's tought to see, but the bright spots are where injuries are.

#37 Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Looks like it's just the cooling fins that are bent. Relax that's normal. Should've seen my old stock intercooler. Basically, the only part you have to worry about is the wide vertical tubes. Puncture one of them, major boost leak.

My guess is you have the stock SPT boost gauge. It's mounted on the steering column? I've got the same one, they aren't very accurate from what I've heard. Funniest part of that is mine will max out at .15MPA and hold there for about 5 seconds while I'm at WOT in third. After that, it starts coming down to around .13MPA which is where is should be holding at. That's the wastegate vs. dp issue causing that. Soon to be fixed.

.1 MPA is stock boost.

This site might help you out
Pressure Units Conversion and Converter

#38 Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
That's reassuring. Thanks

#39 Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Garage
my god, that intercooler is nearly PRISTINE!!! Wow, you need to pop the hoods on a few more WRX's if your AT ALL worried about that.

BTW, .1 MPa is NOT stock boost. 02-05 WRX's stock is 13.5 PSI which is .093 MPa

#40 Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Must have a screen on your hood scoop.

I actually had a bat fly in and die on my stock one. Didn't notice anything other than the thud, pulled over, opened the hood and here lies a flying rat on the IC. Smelled horrible.

#41 Old 06-04-2008, 07:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Eww...I don't think there's a screen on my scoop, I'd have to look more closley. So, if I'm pushing past .1mpa when I'm at full boost then does that mean that whoever had the car before me turned it up? I noticed when I was test driving the car that it had some get up, then I had the clutch replaced and it seemed boggy. I found a sticker on the inside of the door that had the name and number of some performance company. Do you think whatever work was done to the car was affected by the car being out of commission for a week while my clutch was replaced or am I way off?

#42 Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
So, if I'm pushing past .1mpa when I'm at full boost then does that mean that whoever had the car before me turned it up? I noticed when I was test driving the car that it had some get up, then I had the clutch replaced and it seemed boggy. I found a sticker on the inside of the door that had the name and number of some performance company. Do you think whatever work was done to the car was affected by the car being out of commission for a week while my clutch was replaced or am I way off?
Well, couple questions before I can give a good answer but I'll try. How many miles on the car? What type of clutch did you have? What type was it replaced with? Any modifications? If so, is the car tuned and what EM are you using?

It's possible the clutch may cause it to feel "boggy," Especially if you are used to one that slipped alot. That's pretty much something you have to get used to, it's going to be that way for a long time hopefully. Make sure it's well broken in before you go racing though.

Another cause, if you were tuned, is that the ECU may have reset causing you to lose the tune... I doubt this is the case but if you aren't tuned, the ECU could have reset and it has to relearn your driving habits.

#43 Old 06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 CrazyTaxi View Post
Well, couple questions before I can give a good answer but I'll try. How many miles on the car? What type of clutch did you have? What type was it replaced with? Any modifications? If so, is the car tuned and what EM are you using?
OK, I'm probably going to dig myself a hole here, but I'll give you the short version of what happened to my clutch. I bought the car with 68k last September at this we finance almost everyone place. When I test drove it the clutch felt wierd, but I thought it was because I had never driven AWD. I gave them a deposit on Friday, they gave me a dealer plate and I took it for the weekend. During that two days the clutch started slipping through 2nd and 3rd no matter how much gas I gave it. I took it to the place and they replaced it. I haven't had any problems, but it just dosen't feel like it did when I first got it...before it started slipping. I don't know if the clutch that was in it was stock, but I'm pretty sure it was a stock replacement. It now has 91k. (I drive ALOT) There's an Injen CAI on the car, but it's the only mod. I would put money on it that the previous owner had it modded and took it back to stock. Why he didn't take off the CAI, I don't know. I know CAIs are not really good for the WRX, but I don't have a stock one yet. I haven't got a tune either. I change the oil religiously, I just replaced the air filter, and I put new plugs on it 4 months ago. No recent changes in performance, just the difference between the clutch replacement. Ok, not really a short story

#44 Old 06-05-2008, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
During that two days the clutch started slipping through 2nd and 3rd no matter how much gas I gave it. I took it to the place and they replaced it. I haven't had any problems, but it just dosen't feel like it did when I first got it...before it started slipping.
Ok, so the clutch was worn out when you got it. Now it's new. Basically you were used to it allowing slipage at a lower RPM and now when you start out at your usual RPM, it bogs. Did I get that right?

Anyway, if I did all you have to do is increase your starting RPMs just a little. 50 at most.

#45 Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Ok, thanxs.