Launching My Wrx - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you want filled in, search for it. It has been asked and discussed several times.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
The post with the link that Z gave us above is a good one, I read it 3-4 times before I understood it, and my launch is really good using that technique. The only problem I have is I think I hold the clutch a little too long because my 60ft times are around 2.5, I know it's capable of running around 2.0-2.1. Well, burnt clutch is better than broken tranny. My reaction times on my last track day were all below 0.8. My best was 0.504! Practice makes perfect
By the way, did anyone notice how old this thread is? It only came back because sombody spammed it this morning.

Boys will be boys, but girls will be fast !
#18 Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You honestly should be able to get your 60 ft times down to around 1.9 maybe a 1.8 honestly if not better. Like you said practice does make perfect. Good luck with it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#19 Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Thanks, I'll keep working on it. I must be riding the clutch too long. I had this one perfect launch and it threw my head back into the seat when I let off the clutch. It usually dosen't do that. My 60ft time on that run was 2.2. I just need to get more consistent. Thanks for the support.

#20 Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Read the link that I posted earlier....I used it last time at the track and it worked perfectly, ran the 1/4 with a 1.7 60' time, SMOKED a vette most the way down the track.....and DROVE my car home...didnt get it TOWED home!!!
My car is fine...

12.7 @ 109
#21 Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
not getting towed home after a night of racing= A GOOD NIGHT!!!! yea my best 60ft was a 1.62 and a 12.84 1/4mi with my stock turbo i launch the hell out of my car im sure i will pay for it some day though lol keep my fingers crossed
#22 Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
Thanks, I'll keep working on it. I must be riding the clutch too long. I had this one perfect launch and it threw my head back into the seat when I let off the clutch. It usually dosen't do that. My 60ft time on that run was 2.2. I just need to get more consistent. Thanks for the support.
that's the best way I could describe it also; like being snapped (or slingshotted) off the end of a rubber band. It's quite exhilarating.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#23 Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Your going to burn clutch.It's that simple.This is straight from Subiesport Mag per Ali Ashfar(Oct 05) and for the most part is the perfered way of most Subie drivers.Best way would be with Launch Control,but the technique is the same for a manual tranny.

1. Bypass the water box
2. Start to launch when you see the third yellow illuminate.If you wait for the green,you will be behind.
3. Launching:Blip the throttle constantly to keep the revs between 4-5k rpm and as fast as you can(this is where launch control comes in handy).This keeps the turbo spinning/spooling.Slip the clutch,donot drop it.If you do you will either bog (depending on your tire size/type and flywheel weight) or break something (tranny)

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#24 Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
Exactly, I'm just slipping it a little too long, not too much though because I never smell burning clutch.
By the way, I should be under 2 in the 60ft even with my car being totally stock?

#25 Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Girl View Post
Exactly, I'm just slipping it a little too long, not too much though because I never smell burning clutch.
By the way, I should be under 2 in the 60ft even with my car being totally stock?
Sure. I was running 1.7's-1.8's stock.

12.7 @ 109
#26 Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 AM

Absolutely you can do it. You are on th right track of practicing. The car is very capable, once you find that sweet spot you will get it down there. Good luck with it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#27 Old 06-01-2008, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Everyone on here is basically right, at least on the right track. I noticed you have an 02 WRX... Those are really not good to launch on. Ok, that's an understatement. Check under the hood for your transmission code on the data plate next to the drivers side shock mount. If it ends in AA, DO NOT launch on it using the method I do. If it's BA, congradulations! You have RA gears for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. They are beefier and can handle more abuse.

1st- avoid the water box. You don't need to heat up the tires, and you don't want them wet.
2nd- stage the car slowly
3rd- hold the RPMs around 4500 (I have to go around 5500 because of the flywheel)
4th- preload the clutch, let it out to that point just before it engages
5th- last yellow comes on, quickly let off the clutch in a smooth motion. DO NOT SIDESTEP
6th- shift to second with your foot backed off the gas a little
7th- flat foot shift all other gears if your shifts are quick, should end up at the top end of 3rd

Couple quick pointers.
-I usually run about 20psi in the tires for better grip, at 32psi I tend to spin. This can differ based on track conditions so experiment, make sure you have an accurate tire gauge though.
-Try to find the sticky spot on the track at the start line, you'll get better traction
-Start at 4000 RPM and work your way up. Before the lightweight flywheel, I was launching at around 4750.
-You'll know you hit the right RPM and tire pressure combination when your 60ft times are at their lowest, too low RPM=bog=high 60ft. Too high RPM=slip/tire spin=high 60ft.
-The reason for the flat foot shift between 2nd and 3rd is your boost will return ALOT quicker if you stay on the throttle.

Using this, I was getting .002 reaction times and 1.8 second 60fts when I was "Stage 2." I haven't run since I put the VF34 on, gotta fix the downpipe and get the C12 tune for 24psi .

Oh, I know when I get it right cause I go cross-eyed for about a half second. Can't breathe until third either.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#28 Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

BC_Girl is an unknown
It sounds like it would bring my times down, but I have one question. Shifting with my foot to the floor between shifts, that's better with the 60/40 diff? Not too rough on my clutch?
OK 2 questions.

#29 Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 AM

Depending on how hard/quick oyu let out the clutch its going to be hard on your tranny. You really DONT have to do that, just shift quick. Keep up the practice.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#30 Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
my best pass in my sti was on my 7th and final pass of the night. (13.3) practice does make perfect. as soon as u let a little clutch out and the car is moving continue to let off the clutch out in a fast smooth fluid motion. and get ready for the 1st to 2nd shift, because it seems like it's right away.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty