Subaru WRX Forum banner

How to use launch control with no AP?

41K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  NickL 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I've seen people using launch control on their newer WRXs (2015-16) by using the cruise control button somehow. I've tried to replicate what I've seen but no one has really made a descriptive how-to so I was wondering if anyone can explain it step by step. Do I need to be in 1st with clutch in or neutral? Whenever I try it never works to where it holds the revs where I set them. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

#3 ·
Launch control is essentially just a user selectable rev limiter fuel cut. Add 2 parameters, one for vehicle speed (usually less than 5mph) and one for fuel cut rev limit so when your below the speed threshold you can be WOT and not redline as you launch... it can be done opensource, and the newer subies have it built in... not familiar with what you described.

#4 ·
its possible they have deleted the cruise control from the car and that just a secret launch control button. this doesnt sound like anything SOA would impliment into thier cars. or maybe they have a Cobb AP.

#5 ·
I wouldn't think that Subaru would implement a racing feature like launch control into their setups without an encyclopedia of warning labels.

That said there are a few VW tuners that use the cruise control button for things like launch control, flat foot shifting and selecting between maps. So its not that out of the ordinary to think that 1 driver in particular might have found a way to use the cruise control input to prep for launch control, I just cant see Subaru including it without warning you first.

#6 ·
The 2016 CVT,s have a launch sequence that works when you step on the gas and brake at the same time. Once you put your foot all the way down on the gas and brake at the same time no matter what drive mode you're in the ECU knows what you are doing and will rev to 2500 rpm and hold. This won't give you really any boost but will take you out of a vacuum. Once you release the brake you will launch. Its not hugely exciting but its what the engineers decided wouldn't hurt the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.