Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Drag Strip Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   How do you launch (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f113/how-do-you-launch-14027/)

DesiSuperman 08-10-2006 11:07 PM

How do you launch

What is the quickest way to launch a wrx without putting too much wear on it, Im sick of having slow take offs, i dont wanna hurt it so I tend to take it pretty easy.

DesiSuperman 08-10-2006 11:14 PM

And im sick of losing to my friends stupid grand am, he has an auto and thinks he's the coolest thing in the world cause he beat a wrx.:mad:

Chris Rx 08-10-2006 11:45 PM

i hope he has the s/c 3800 cus if not how are you losing to his weak 3800 200hp?

its hard to explain a launch, alot say im a ####y when i launch, i rev to about 4k, and dump, then it bogs a bit but at the same time a fan the clutch or, double clutch it, and i get a decent launch, it all happens so fast. im not sure if i explained that right. im hoping to do a 5k launch next time i got to the track, but i dont wantt o break anything, i know how you feel

al5dsm 08-11-2006 12:21 AM

I launch between 5500-6000. I slip the clutch just enough to where the car starts to move, then I dump it. Worked for consistant 1.7-1.8 60'. But it is also part of the reason I am a member of Team Broken Tranny. Launching the car hard is going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If you do not want to take the risk of breaking something, do not launch hard.

zab 08-11-2006 02:21 AM

see, now this is the thread i was about to start, and like a good member, i looked around first.
I would formulate the Q a little different though:

here's the issue:
After driving 16 years worth of Suby NAE (naturally aspirated) old 4-banger "crap" (which, BTW, I loved), the WRX clutch, ESPECIALLY in first gear, has me stumped!!!

I try to dump, BOG
I feather, when it is not at stake, GREAT
I feather, when I need to burn somebody because a merge lane will end, BOG.

I'm trying all sorts of different take-offs in 1st because I'm new to the set-up, new to turbos, and well, just new.

BUT, I've gotten it to the point where about 2/3 of the time I don't bog, but only when I blip, or feather the clutch while I'm taking off in 1st (which NoseNuggets recommends against...)

HELP PLEASE, folks! coupla newbies here....
hey, at least I'll never post re: BOV!!!

zab 08-11-2006 02:23 AM

[QUOTE=Chris Rx]i hope he has the s/c 3800 cus if not how are you losing to his weak 3800 200hp?

its hard to explain a launch, alot say im a ####y when i launch, i rev to about 4k, and dump, then it bogs a bit but at the same time a fan the clutch or, double clutch it, and i get a decent launch, it all happens so fast. im not sure if i explained that right. im hoping to do a 5k launch next time i got to the track, but i dont wantt o break anything, i know how you feel[/QUOTE]

nope Chris, not to piss you off, but that was about as much help as a snort of cayene pepper.
sorry. that sounds pretty dick of me to say...
it's just that I'm trying to avoind ANY bog. 1st is my problem, not any of the other gears.

DesiSuperman 08-11-2006 02:30 AM

This is my first wrx and why does it bog, i hate that. You get the most interesting stares from people.

hunty 08-11-2006 05:55 AM

hey fellas another one here! ive got a o2 wagon and its an auto and mines great other than taking off so i hit my mechanic up and he said about replacing the up pipe with no cat. it makes the turbo spool up quicker and earlier. just tryin to get the cash together so i can get it done.

Imprezless 08-11-2006 08:09 AM

I think your biggest problem is that you are wasting time racing a grand am.

9d2TSi 08-11-2006 09:48 AM

Moved to track talk. There are alot of "how to" launching threads here.

Launching a WRX is kind of touchy, but it's just like anything else. Practice, practice, and more practice.

I have launch control with my UTEC, so my technique's going to be a little bit diferent than yours.

Here are some pretty good threas on launching your WRX.

[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832&highlight=launch[/url]
[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126&highlight=launch[/url]
[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11121&highlight=launch[/url]

Proper shifting is equally important to the launch.

[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6935&highlight=launch[/url]

goose05 08-12-2006 10:00 PM

The reason why your car bogs down is because when you dump the clutch the turbo doesnt have time to catch up so that is why it bogs down a little bit then goes.

Before racing your car, you should learn your clutch, learn when it catches!!!!!

Here is how i launch my wrx

I rev it up to 5,000 rpm and slid the clutch out, by the time the clutch is fully out, its about time to shift again.

This is IMO better than dumping the clutch, i just let it slip out, nice and easy

Nose Nuggets 08-14-2006 12:02 PM

the reason you bog if you dump the clutch is because the WRX does not make enough HP. plain and simple. i bet shoaf could dump the clutch in his wrx and get a descient launch.

you have to slip the clutch like a SOB to get a descient launch in a stock or slightly modafied wrx.

car_doper 08-14-2006 12:37 PM

[QUOTE]hey fellas another one here! ive got a o2 wagon and its an auto and mines great other than taking off so i hit my mechanic up and he said about replacing the up pipe with no cat. it makes the turbo spool up quicker and earlier. just tryin to get the cash together so i can get it done.[/QUOTE]

I have the 04 Wagon, and within the last month, I got the Cobb Downpipe, Cobb AccessPort, Cobb Cat back, and Cobb Upipe. :D (Delivered to me and installed in that order.) In my opinion, I would get a downpipe and/or access port before I got an uppipe. (Either of these will give you a noticeable difference. I saw no difference with the Uppipe, but I am glad that I did it for later upgrades/hard driving.)

FYI...If you install these yourself, expect to spend ~1.5 hours downpipe, ~15 min accessport, ~30 min catback, and ~4 hours uppipe.

fast_dak 08-14-2006 02:24 PM

I'm a bit interested on shifting with an aftermarket clutch myself

With the stock clutch, I could slip it perfectly, and could even shift fast and smoothly enough on 1-2, and 2-3 that it was hard to tell I even shifted, no loss of power between shifts at all. After I burnt the clutch up (ehhh, it was starting to go anyway), I put on a ACT street clutch (never forgive myself for that one!). With 350 miles on the clutch, decided it was time to make my first trip to the drag strip. I hadn't yet mastered the launching with the new clutch, because it's such a firm engagement, it's difficult to slip. What I round I really disliked, was that going down the track, each time I shifted, I would bog for 1/2 second, then take off. Even one of the guys watching me made a comment how I would take off really fast, then see the car pause for a second as I had shifted and bogged, then would go blazing again. Of course, on my 5th pass, I blew 2nd, and still waiting on my RA gears. I tried staying in the throttle (have UTEC with launch controller), it would do it. Tried getting out of the gas, and then getting back into it as I left off the clutch, same difference. My launches were pretty bad too, having a difficult time slipping it and wasn't willing to dump it. Most of the time I would just end up bogging down. I'm hoping that with the clutch broken in more, it will be a lot easier to slip on launch and shifts won't be so rough. Oh well, won't really get to know what she'll fun until next racing season, track closes in 6 weeks, and I won't have my gears in for at least 3 weeks, need time to break in the clutch more and the new gears.

Ian 08-14-2006 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets]the reason you bog if you dump the clutch is because the WRX does not make enough HP. plain and simple. i bet shoaf could dump the clutch in his wrx and get a descient launch.

you have to slip the clutch like a SOB to get a descient launch in a stock or slightly modafied wrx.[/QUOTE]
Plus our cars don't build boost unless we are under load ( driving )