First track experience for me and the WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-01-2004, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

cyberwolf is an unknown
First track experience for me and the WRX

Beautiful day in the midwest yesterday so an early morning trip to US-41 in Indiana became the order of the day. First time my WRX has been to the track and first time I've been anything but a spectator.

The end result, best of 3 was: 15.6 sec @ 90.37 mph with a 0.937 sec reaction and an abysmal 2.4 sec 60ft time.

The WRX is stock with a manual trans. My launches were at about 3000-3500 RPM without popping the clutch. Something that occured that I've never had to deal with before in the WRX was wheel spin.

Without changing parts on the car is there anything I can do as a driver to improve on my performance? Specifically:

Will shifting into 4th in that last 50 feet help me to get a little more speed, and will that matter time wise for the short distance involved? As I crossed the line I was in 3rd pushing about 6700 RPM.

What can I do to minimize the wheel spin and get a better 0-60ft time? Or, is this solely dependant on tires and track condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Launch at a higher RPM!

I launch at 5700. No wheel spin. Well, the fronts chirp, but that's why the back ones are driving too. I average about 1.8 for the 60'. That RT is not bad for the first time.

If you are having wheel spin, (spinning all 4) try lowering your air pressure. Just don't go too low. You'll have good traction but have to drag flat tires across the finish line.
#3 Old 03-01-2004, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

cyberwolf is an unknown
Won't launching over 5000 severly limit the lifespan of the stock trans?
#4 Old 03-01-2004, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Yeah it will. But if you launch it right it wont be so bad.

Che
#5 Old 03-01-2004, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

gverdinez is an unknown
If your worried about the life on your tranny dont go to the track. If not launch around 5500 to 5700 RPM's.
#6 Old 03-05-2004, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXXX04 is an unknown
I havent gone to the track yet, so I dont know how the launch is on sticky pavement. I have been practiceing on the street and I found that if you just let that clutch fly at 55k it leaves two nice 3ft long black marks from your rear wheels and who ever is in the other lane with there jaw dropped and them squintin to read what your license plate says. YYYYEEEEEAAAAA...
#7 Old 03-28-2004, 09:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

meyek is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to meyek
Re: First track experience for me and the WRX

You shouldn't need to hit 4th. I took my car the the strip for the first time last week (slips when I get the scanner working) and I hit my rev limiter shortly after finishing the line. You want to hold the gears as long as possible because whenever you up-shift you're essentially throwing away a torque multiple, not to mention that it takes a fraction of a second to do the shift itself.

Like the others said, work on your 60' times. You should be able to get into the 1.9 range in stock trim. Other than that, hold 1st and 2nd as LONG as possible. They're your power gears, use them. If everything goes right, you SHOULD be able to reach mid 14s.

As for my runs. I did a 15.1 @ 93mph (held 3rd to the end) and a 15.0 @ 83mph (missed 4th, BIG BIG mistake even reaching for it)
#8 Old 03-28-2004, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Tyte WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tyte WRX
my first and only run so far in my car was a 14.6 at 93 with a 2.1 60'. That was only a few weeks after I got my car and it was completely stock. I am going to be heading to the track this friday night to see what I can pull down with the few mods that I have.

The only thing I like more than my WRX is a dumb girl with big juggs!
#9 Old 05-08-2004, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

MdnghtDsrs is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to MdnghtDsrs
i ran lastnight. ran 15.5 first time. i need better launches and stuff. it was my first time so I'm hoping to learn to launch better and everything. I held rev at 5500 and it bogged out a bit then took off, but on the street when I do that it hella takes off. stupid track. o well. I'm hoping to get better times when I learn to drive the WRX a lil better.

~~~Midnight Desires~~~
#10 Old 05-08-2004, 12:35 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Practice makes perfect...

And REAL good launches destroy weak trannies....:eek:
#11 Old 05-11-2004, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quack is more helpful than not
my 1st time at the track i ran 14.5's (93MPH) launching at 5500 - 6000rpm.
i let the clutch slip until i started going then lifted my foot all the way for the launch. my 60' times were 2.0. you should only need 3rd gear. i shift at around 7000rpm.
#12 Old 05-17-2004, 07:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoadRacer is an unknown
if you launch it high you will limit the life span of you clutch disk, You f*ck up the tranny when you pop the clutch and grind or miss gears. Slip it smoothly and dont grind!