Subaru WRX Forum banner

First Dragstrip Running With My Rex!!!

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  *wRx03* 
#1 ·
Just thought I would enlighten you all about my fun filled night last night! I drove down to Pueblo Colorado to the Pueblo Motorsports Park drag strip to get an Idea of what my car would run before I started modding it and heres how she went.

I ran a total of 7 times but here is my best timeslip:
4900FT ABSL
Non-compound
Completely Stock 04 WRX

LEFT LANE
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/AOD_SNOWMAN/scan.jpg

R/T- .055
60FT- 2.147
330FT- 6.413
1/8- 9.930
1000FT- 12.946
1/4- 15.485
MPH- 88.39

Sure as hell was fun I can't wait to get some money so I can get better times!!!!!

#6 ·
What is your launch rpm that you're using? You're best off doing what Mike said above, I can attest to that personally. The time that I didn't do that, I had a bunch of teeth missing in my tranny. WTF

The cool thing is, when I go back to the track, my launch control is set to 4500. So, hopefully I won't do that again.

#7 · (Edited)
Whoa... only a 15.4? Should have been down in the low 14s. Let air out of your tires next time to get your launch down. You should have like a 1.9-1.8 60' time. It also seems like you're letting off the gas too soon... your ET MPH is way down. Not bad for a first time at the track though! I was somewhere around the same my first time. 2nd Time, I burried my car in mid 14s with the exact same mods as the first time I went.

#9 ·
Jive masterT you gotta remember I was running at nearly 5000feet above sea level!!!! I can't get low 14's factory. And yes I haven't got my launching and 60ft times where they should be. But I'm going back to the track tomorrow and I'll get some more practice in!!!! Also i was on the gas all they way through the traps!!!!

#10 ·
AOD_SNOWMAN said:
Jive masterT you gotta remember I was running at nearly 5000feet above sea level!!!! I can't get low 14's factory. And yes I haven't got my launching and 60ft times where they should be. But I'm going back to the track tomorrow and I'll get some more practice in!!!! Also i was on the gas all they way through the traps!!!!
Didn't realize you were at 5k above sea level... I hope you get your 60' times down... try to get into like 1.9 or so and you should be into high 14s, I think.

#11 ·
Ok I ran again tonight!!! But I could not get below a 2.1 60ft, and couldn't top the 88mph mark or the 15.4 1/4 time!!!! But I'm getting a better feel for the car! I noticed that my fronts are spinning quite a bit. BTW I'm running the FUSION HRI stock sized tires. I was thinking maybe some stickier ones might help. But I'd rather spend the money on my Stage 4 dream!!!!

#14 ·
:eek:
AOD_SNOWMAN said:
mainly I'm just wanting to get my 60ft times better, my reactions are great, but like I said I'm still spinning alittle bit off the line!!!
I'm willing to bet that letting some air out of your tires or getting a stickier set of tires will cut that down for you quite a bit.

What rpm are you launching at? I can tell you're not dumping your clutch, and your tranny loves you for that.

#16 ·
No i tried the dumping clutch things and didn't like it at all, just felt way too shocky!! At first I was only getting 2.4's with slip method, and 2.1 with sidestep. Lastnigth I got 2.1's with slip method!!! Do you think dropping some pressue in my tires will help my times, but i've herd it doesn't help on radials!?!?!? I've thought about different tires...like some nittos or something. Who knows. I still don't get why I can't brake into the 90's in trap speed..Damn thin air up here!!!!!!

#17 ·
Dropping your tire pressure is going to hurt your ET MPH, but it should help your 60' times. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on your radials.

Remember, practice makes perfect but too much practice makes for needing a new clutch.

Edit...
I just remembered how I got my ET MPH up... At the top of 3rd gear I drove it a little past redline because that shift to 4th is right at the end of the track. Not something I'd advise doing all the time, but it's something to consider.

#19 ·
AOD whats up man? Springs here also.. currently deployed but will be home soon. I have a 04 also.. my first time out i ran a 15.0 at like 86 with a crappy 2.1 i think.. duno it was in 04 at pueblo also.. not the greatest track. the elevation is a killer. thats for sure.. dont worry about the tire spin.. your not making enough power to want all the grip right now.. as a friend told me "your just making enough to break parts right now" i am running cobb stage II now. only ran it once cause it was so busy before i deployed but i ran a 14.0 at 96 wiht a crappy 2.0 60ft... coulda run better but there were so many people there i wasnt waitin 3 hrs for another run! i know i could have run in the high 13's with a good launch. but like i said to many people! keep up the practice.. everything is gona be closed when i get back from iraq:( so will have to wait til next year... i have a ej5-40t, huge TMIC, pinks an fuel pump to put in an have tuned when i get back.. hopin to jump straight to the 12's.... we shall see! keep in touch.. i know alot of good suby guys in the springs..

#20 ·
My first time out mind you I have a 03 wrx sedan dont know if it is that much differant than the 04 but i am bone stock and ran a 15.0 at 90 with crappy 2.1 60' times i was launching at 6500 walking out the clutch and shifting at redline 7000 to 7200

Then went this past weekend and was launching at 5000 walking out the clutch was yeilding 1.9 60' times:) and was shifting at 6500 and was pulling off 14.3 to 14.5 at 92 and 93mph

Keep practicing, launching a awd car is tricky (for me anyways) you will get it. Going fast is a great high

Billy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.