FEATHERING the clutch? ? ? ? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ybbob123 is an unknown
FEATHERING the clutch? ? ? ?

last summer was the first time at the track. I usally just have it in first hold the ER brake and go... what exactly is feathering the clutch? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 PM
b7g
WRXtuners Member

b7g is an unknown
...Slowly releasing it...

drive = freedom
post #3 of 6 Old 12-27-2007, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I believe it is supposed to reduce the effects of shockload on the tranny

...kind of like the job that a torque converter performs in an auto tranny. (I'm assuming you're talking drag racing)

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

robert.lshoc is an unknown
dont use the e brake I feather and still get a 1.8 60ft clutches are cheaper than gears
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
This might be a more helpful definition.

What is "feathering the clutch?"

Feathering the clutch is the proper way to activate the clutch pedal when changing gears. That is, rather than a sudden, jerky release of the clutch pedal, you ease-out when releasing it. This reduces stress not only on clutch components, but the entire drivetrain. The engine RPMs should match closely to that of the selected gear you're shifting into as well (see "double clutching").

There is a fine line between sudden release, feathering and letting the clutch slip. Practice this and prolong the life of your clutch! If you smell something burning, or the engine wails as you release, the clutch is slipping.

cited here

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
man i personally dont like the term feather when it comes to clutch work. feather suggested a constantly varying amount of X. Feathering the gas is what you do to negotiate a turn at the limit. feathering the brake is what you do to maintain threshold breaking. once you start letting the clutch out you shouldn't be increasing anymore, only continually decreasing. Contrary to the previous post 'slip' has been the term i have always used to describe a clutch doing what its supposed to be doing.

as a note to Vew's post. If you are doing correct double clutch down shifts you should be able to engage and disengage the clutch instantly (or as close to 'instant' as physically posible). in other words, you should be able to drop the clutch on a down shift, regardless of gear. Also "when you down shift from 4th to 3rd, the engine RPMs won't be much different" is extremely misleading. A car doing 30mph will have a much higher rpm in 3rd then it would in 4th. The fact that the RPM's should stay relatively close during the down shifting process is a function of car decelerating. if i was simply doing a double clutch down shift with no intention of slowing down my RPM's will increase. They should in fact stay exactly where i blip them to while at the neutral stage of my double clutch down shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement