4EAT Launch - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2010, 01:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
4EAT Launch

So guys, I think I am finally taking my car to the track for the first time. I have an 05 4EAT WRX and I was wondering the best way to get myself off the line. I have read about brake boosting: revving in neutral while applying the brake until it locks, then letting the rpm's fall, putting it in drive and then revving again while still applying the brakes, then letting her go. Is this an efficient/effective way to launch. I would love to try it and get boost quicker but I am so afraid to break my tranny. I guess what I am looking for is someone to tell me to do it or not ha. Shoot me some thoughts and opinions, aka tell me if I will break my car ha!

Thanks,
Jason

-Jason-
Protuned 4EAT- Helix DP, Grimmspeed CC UP, Grimmspeed EBCS, SPT CBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
possibly called brake-torque haha

-Jason-
#3 Old 08-13-2010, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
To be quite honest, it sounds like a pretty efficient/effective way to ruin your tranny(unless its built). I would just put it in gear, hold the brakes, and give it gas like you're going to do a burnout. Depending on how good your brakes are you should be able to get the rpm's high enough to get the turbo spooling.

Mike
#4 Old 08-14-2010, 01:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

KCsubikid is an unknown
Well that is all that that process does, it just gets the brakes to vacuum down a little more to get to higher rpm's. I have tried just revving while on the brake and i can't get to boost doing that. I would probably need a high stall torque converter to get to boost doing that. I have heard of people doing this process with no problems, ha I'm sure its not good for your car in any way, but anyone think I should try?

-Jason-
#5 Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Gangkopff is an unknown
Its pretty tough to do at the track because it the process takes so long. I tried to do it this past Wed. and by the time the cars were stagged they threw the tree and the car wasn't into boost. The next time I go, I'm gonna try to only light the pre stage bulb, rev it in neutral to bleed down the brakes, then inch forward to light the stagged light while starting to build boost. I think some practice is in order to get good at it. Let me know how you make out. I was only able to do a 15.1 @ 96mph with a 2.5sec 60'. With that speed it should have run a low 14 or high 13. Without a converter its tough to get a good 60' time with a 4EAT.

04 WRX Automatic,Cobb Stage II,Turbo XS-Turbo back,S&B Drop-in filter, silencer removed,STI Scoop