08 WRX.. 1st time at the Track... tips please - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BmFwrx is an unknown
08 WRX.. 1st time at the Track... tips please

Hey... tomorrow i will be taking my 08 to the track for the first time. The car is completely stock besides 17' motegi track lites, and a drop in K&N filter. I wanted to see if anyone else who has experience racing the 08 has any tips for me as far as what rpm i should launch at, tire pressure, gas, ect. Also if anyone has run a stock 08 what times did you pull and what should a good baseline number be as far as 60ft, E.T and speed. I plan on doing some more work to the car in the near future so i want to find out what my baseline numbers are. thanks for all your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
there are a number of threads on here that deal with the proper way to launch a car, that you should search for. here is a good one...
1st time at the track, SUCKED!!!

basically rev to 4k then slip the clutch
post #3 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
In order to get a decent launch you have to build some boost. Without boost you will bog. Without launch control this can be tricky. You want to learn your clutch and its grabbing point. Once you have that down just practice launching. Hold in the clutch just before/at the grabbing point and build your rev to about 4k. On the green you want to let the clutch out slowly while smashing the gas quickly. If you do it right you can launch perfect. AWD launching takes LOTS and LOTS of practice if you dont have launch control. The key is finding that point right below where your clutch is gonna grab and holding it there and controling your revs. If its your first time at the track I recommend not even paying attention to the tree and reaction times. Just practice launching and shifting quickly and effectively. Launch control is VERY effective at getting consistent perfect launches on the other hand. If you are a drag racer I'de get that...Oh shit nevermind you dont want that> Just be nice to your car...well try anyways

12.7 @ 109
post #4 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BmFwrx is an unknown
Yea i understand... i have plenty experience with awd launching, and know all about clutch sliding. I was wondering more along the lines of exactly what rpm people are launchin their stock wrx's at, what times they are pulling, and if they are adjusting tire pressure before, or between runs for optimal traction, even though i dont think it will make that much of a difference since the car is stock, u but i appreciate the info so far, anyone else?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
well in subarus diff tire pressures is a big no-no...it adds alot of stress on the center diff so if you do change the pressure change it on all 4 tyres...and like 04pauliewrx said 4K is the most common launch rpm for stock cars w/o launch control

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #6 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmFwrx View Post
Yea i understand... i have plenty experience with awd launching, and know all about clutch sliding. I was wondering more along the lines of exactly what rpm people are launchin their stock wrx's at, what times they are pulling, and if they are adjusting tire pressure before, or between runs for optimal traction, even though i dont think it will make that much of a difference since the car is stock, u but i appreciate the info so far, anyone else?
Oh, well it kinda sounded like you were a total newb at the track. Well if you have experience just go out there and tear shit up. Lets see what you can pull.

12.7 @ 109
post #7 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BmFwrx is an unknown
lol not at all.. just new to the WRX game... im a dsm man, the wrx is actually my brothers car and he has never raced before so i thought i would come on here and we whatsup with the WRX brother hood, now when it comes to dsm's i dont need any info lol, just wanted to see what i could learn about this car before we take it out, anyone know what the record for a stock 08 is?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BmFwrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
well in subarus diff tire pressures is a big no-no...it adds alot of stress on the center diff so if you do change the pressure change it on all 4 tyres...and like 04pauliewrx said 4K is the most common launch rpm for stock cars w/o launch control
ok cool, yea thats someting i really wanted to know, i didnt plan on really adjusting it, maybe droping it a couple pounds all the way around but at it probably wont affect much since its awd and low HP. also im running the car in phoenix, anyone have experience Icing their top mount between runs? and do you think it will make much of a difference?
post #9 of 10 Old 06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
well when i was on my stock TMIC i did ice it between runs and yeah it really helped keeping consistency between runs because it helped combat heat soak

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BmFwrx is an unknown
Cool. thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated. Unfortunately my brother caught a nail in the side wall of his left rear tire the day we were supposed to go, so we had to postpone until he replaced his rubber. Got 4 new yokohama S-drives. Very nice tire. So we will be going this wednesday, i should have vid's and pic to post so stay tuned lol. Also can someone tell me what a XPT is exactly, if its a total flash or just some tuning. And any other advice would be cool too lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement