1st attempts at DSLR Photography - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
1st attempts at DSLR Photography

Messing around with a star point filter.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Looks good! Not easy with all the various and varying light sources in the background in my humble opinion.

I'm looking forward to seeing some daytime shots!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #3 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I don't know much about photography, but I can appreciate cool-looking pics. Your car makes me think of a christmas tree, while your friend's car makes me think of... yellow snow. AHahAHHAHahaha

John
07 WRX
post #4 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Looks good Jon. And a good background/location also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Vew

Thanks all. It was taking by our new Alumni Center. The tracks are the PRT system the university uses to shuttle students between campuses.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Purely the image nut in me talking and I'm sure most people will just roll their eyes but you should be careful not to use wide angles when you have geometric shapes across wide areas of your shot. Basically back up and use a longer lens. This is best shown in that picture with the circle on the ground. The wide angle distorts it into an oval. If you move your feet and lengthen the lens, this effect will be mitigated. Wides are great because you can get more stuff in a shot from closer up but they cost you distortion, particularly noticeable when you have some rigid figure. It also comes up when people stand too close to their cars and fill the frame with their car. Certain lines are supposed to be straight and wide angles aren't straight at the corners.

Also composition wise, I've always leaned on the rule of thirds (most cameras even put on the dotted "tic tac toe" grid lines for you these days). The second shot with both cars at the gate has much better framing because it lines up more logically with the rule of thirds. The cars are more central to the image. In the first shot with them in the gate, your eye is pulled by the yellow well lit box in the right/middle third and the freeway kind of making you want to tilt your head in the all three top thirds.

Ok, I'll shut up now. You can stop rolling your eyes. They look great! *ahem*.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Vew

No, not at all. I appreciate all the comments. I actually took a bunch of shots. These just happened to be the one's I liked because I had a lot of lighting problems. I try to keep the rule of thirds in mind. The only problem with your suggestion for the 1st picture is that one, I only have 1 lens at the moment. It will be a few months before I can get more.

And the second is that if you saw where I was taking the photo, you'd think I was nuts. I'm on top of a fence pillar with the tripod extended as tall it will go. Behind me, about an inch is a drop off into a rainwater overflow stream 12-15 feet below (dry atm). I tried to put each car in the corner of the grid when it came to the 3rd. So, you're saying it didn't work quite well? I had a hard time shuffling cars in that manner so any input is appreciated.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Garage
don't know if you have a canon or a nikon but I'd look into these:
Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
(Note, you'll need the slightly more expensive AF-S lens if you have a D40 or D60 due to the way Nikon handles auto-focus)

They did a lot of image study in the 19th century and came up with a good approximation of what we consider a "natural" focal length. for 35mm film, it equates to about 85mm. These 50mm primes are very bright (F1.8) and very cheap and with the inherent magnification in the budget DSLR camera (1.6x for a canon and 1.5x for a nikon), give a very natural perspective. They help make you a better photographer by moving your feet rather than the lens. Not saying there's anything wrong with other lengths at all, and most of the time you don't have much choice. Just good to have a point of reference.

They'll also help with the low light you had to deal with due to the massive aperture.

post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Vew

Got to borrow some lenses from my friend Matt. Tried them out on some campus night shots.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Garage
Some nice shots there Jon. I really like that first shot with the staircase.

post #11 of 11 Old 09-15-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Vew

I had trouble with the glare on the hospital. I was hoping it was acceptable. The stadium is across the parking lot on the right and all their lights were on since the local HS and WVU band was practicing at the time.

That 85mm prime lens you were taking about is what I used with the 2nd and 3rd photos from my friend's stash.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae