a different subie - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxnfx is an unknown
a different subie

ive been recently thinking about getting a different car. I found an 04 sti with No mods for 16,900 and has 68k on it, its black on gold and has a small lip on the trunk instead of the usual wing, but im not to sure since my current 02wrx was a total impulse buy. if i trade mine in they will give me 10,500 for it and i wont have to put any cash down, they have a few to choose from. im torn, my car is finaly paid off but im bored with it and would like to upgrade, i was paying 394.90 a mo with a apr of 9.49% so a large monthly payment isnt that bad. insurance isnt an issue either because i get real good rate through teamsters/GMAC
my question is what would you do? should i get a differnt car and spend more cash or dump it in my current car which is stock except a custom 3" cb exhaust. ive always wanted a STi but cant justify spending so recklessly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awdturb
stick with what you have and mod it, i mean with that kinda monthly payment you could murder a credit card and go completly crazy with the wrx. i borrowed 10k on a personal loan to buy my car to beat interest rates and i pay 250 a month.....with 10k into it your subie will rival almost anything on the road..youd beat em on the drags and in the twisties. even if you dont wanna borrow money to put into it, the money your not paying every month could be put into mods. buy another car and you have another payment = less money for mods.
#3 Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
No no, get the STi. It's a much better platform and finding one clean that age is extremely hard (I could not). The transmission alone is worth the price difference but you'll also get a 25% larger motor, brembo brakes, forged wheels, better suspension, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, etc etc etc. It's the best rounded $6,400 upgrade you could ever do to your WRX.

You might try to sell the WRX privately though instead of trading it in. If it's clean, that would be a very easy sale. A lot of people want clean bugeyes, there aren't many of those either.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxnfx is an unknown
a buddy of mine said to keep my current car AND get the STi, but i dunno,I still have my first car i ever bought when i turned 16 which is a 89 chevy camero rs with a beefy junkyard 350 and other goodies that make me wish i had a mullet. so its kinda nostalgic with it being my 1st subaru. both of the replies above are 2 awsome things to consider. just wondering but what are some good firts mod for a STi? keep ya guys updated

i forgot to mention the STi has an after market moonroof
#5 Old 11-20-2008, 09:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Get the STi. I just recently made the switch and I am sorry that I didn't do it sooner.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#6 Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Garage
I dispute that 10K into your WRX would beat an STi with $3,600 in it (the exact cost difference we're talking about). 10K WRX is going to need a transmission. There goes half of it. 2.5L? $2-$3k gone. Are we still even talking about this?

A STi mods very similar to a more capable WRX. The downpipe sees huge gains as does a good tune. Stage 2 STi's see similar % gains to a WRX but start higher so a Stage 2 STi is more like a EJ205 with a big 16G turbo... except with a much beefier tranny and all the other wonderful upgrades.

You can tilt your headlights up and down. You can squirt water on your intecooler. CMON YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!

#7 Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxnfx is an unknown
ive seen it referd to as STi envy, and damn it ive always wanted one. i just wish i could take my mommo steering wheel with. would i have to use only brembo pads when replacing them and will there be a noticable differece in maintenance cost. 100 bucks for a Royal purple oil change in the driveway is a must though
#8 Old 11-20-2008, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
That sounds like a great deal. Mosc is right about the tranny. It would be awesome to never have to worry about a broken tranny, wouldn't it? If I were you I would go asap and just trade in the WRX so they don't sell the STI before you get to it.

Moonroof too...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#9 Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02wrxnfx View Post
You can tilt your headlights up and down. You can squirt water on your intecooler. CMON YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!
.... and the STi has the adjustable power distribution Front/Rear.....

I say go for the STi..... Like mosc said, the STi tranny itself is worth the upgrade... Plus it comes with the awesome brembos, everything mosc listed.

How many miles does your WRX have on it? 10.5k doesn't seem too bad a quote from a dealer. They usually lowball your trade-ins really bad

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#10 Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxnfx is an unknown
yeah they always lowball, but i used to sell cars so im gonna be a bloody fish surrounded by sharks. im takin the day off work to check it out. my 02 now has 140226 mi and ive owned it since 1-8-05 with 92k
#11 Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
the only reason I would say to wait on this is because of the shit economy right now...banks are pretty picky about giving out loans for anything...and getting a good apr right now is very hard...but if you have awesome, flwless credit and the banks are willing to work with you for a good apr do it!! also since the economy is really bad you will probably be able to get the dealer to go even lower on the price of the car so I would check that stuff out FIRST if they are willing to work with you....get the sti!!!!

12.7 @ 109
#12 Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Wow, they are offering you 10.5k and it has 140k miles? That's a really good trade-in price than. Go check it out, test drive it, see how it feels... If you used to sell cars, you know their secrets to selling cars, don't be fooled by their lies and fine print contracts. If there is anything wrong with the car, get them to fix/replace the parts before you buy it. I've made the mistake of buying a car with parts broken. They never fixed the problem even when it was writin' on the contract/bill...

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#13 Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Garage
As somebody who just bought an STi and sold his WRX, the price you're getting on both ends is frankly awesome.

Take the STi to a mechanic who knows Subarus. Make sure it's as stock as they say it is. Please do this. Please. I did not, I regret not doing this step. Please learn from my mistake. That said, even if it's not totally stock that's a great price.

You do like black though, right?

#14 Old 11-20-2008, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

awdturb is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awdturb
i guess im just a jdm purist..us americans are the only ones that get the BIG BLOCK 2.5 as they call it across the pond. the better suspension, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, etc etc etc. you will be changing out anyway when you start modding 6,300 for rims and breaks??...you cant even touch a sti with out a tune due to boost creep when you add a dp. i dont think any one will dissagree that a wrx with a 18 or 20g with supporting mods is under 4k and will beat a STI.

(when i say supporting mods i mean injectors,fmic.fuel pump and tune)
#15 Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM

Garage
Transmission. Transmission. Transmission.