Subaru WRX Forum banner

WTB: EJ22 Turbo Closed Deck Block

21K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  STi 22B 
#1 ·
Sorry... Not sure where I should start this tread :(

But I live in Australia and I'm looking for a replacement engine for my 22B. It needs to be a closed deck block. I believe you guys got a EJ22 turbo in the States? I just need the bottom end without the heads and stuff.

Can anyone let me know where I should be looking?

Cheers,
Paul :)

#3 ·
Yeah... We didn't sell the EJ22 Turbo in Australia and the Dealers are saying it could take between 6 and 12 months to get 1... :(

So I thought it would be easier and proberbly quicker to buy a secondhand block from the States... Do you have any scrap/recyclers junk yards that deal with Subaru's?

#9 ·
From what I'm told, your Turbo Legacy SOHC EJ22T had a closed deck block, the same as my 22B but I've never seen your Legacy's insides... That's why I'm looking for someone who knows of a good salvage yard, who would be prepared (payed of cause) to pull the heads off and check for me. Cheers :cool:

#12 ·
Yeah me too.... it's not exactly the same but it's the base to start the rebuild with. :)

Sorry about that... here is the website link :)

http://ozcarsightings.com/subaru22bphotoshoot.php

One of the boys in my local club took these photos just over a year ago. He does this as a hobby and gets to go to lots of good places. Jan (the photographer) really loved taking the pictures of my car, because he too is a Subaru WRX owner.

#13 ·
I don't think it's a bad idea. Sure it may be an old block, but if all you're using is a bare, fully-closed deck block from a stock legacy, how bad could it be?

If, in fact, there is such a thing as a usdm ej22t, you can try car-part.com. They let you search a bunch of junkyards nationwide. If you're not sure, you can search or ask on nasioc.com. I'm sure you can find your answer there.

#15 ·
Cheers Mate... !Thumbs Up I'll have a crack at it...

Your car is what a Subaru nut's wet dreams are made of!!! It is soo stinking pretty! Good luck with the rebuild, and keep us posted.
I must tell you that I had to sell my house to buy this car :eek: but it was a sacrifice one must do :D The only hard part was convincing the wife it was a good investment ;)

#19 ·
Have I said that car is pretty yet? Damn it's pretty. I keep pulling up that web link and starring at it. Can we have some pictures of the interior as well? I, um, am doing research. Yeah, that's it. Research.

I had forgotten how nice the sides were with that clean coupe sculpting. Has similar sides to a R34 skyline cept with a much better roofline (not that there's anything wrong with looking like a skyline). The spoilers are so clean as well. So purposeful. Man, you really can't beat that thing. Can we all just send emails to Subaru: "Dear Subaru. All your cars should look like THIS from now on and we will never drive anything else. Thank You"

ok, I'll stop kissing ass now, promise. Damn nice car.

#22 ·
The EJ22T sold in the US was a closed deck block complete with oil squirters. It does not have forged internals which is what seperates it from a 22B. If you wanted to get the strongest block in the US without importing one the EJ22T block is the one to use. Place in new internals and put your WRX heads on and you are ready to rock a 2.2L fully closed deck.

If you don't upgrade the pistons your compression ratio will be lower than stock also.

The 2.5L is a semi-closed deck so the EJ22T block is superior.

Here's some wiki info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ22T

Now there is obviously more to this swap, but don't sell the EJ22T short.

Here's the best place for EJ22T info http://bbs.legacycentral.org

#23 · (Edited)
i have been building my 2.2 block for awhile and when i have enough money for the turbo etc it will be in my wrx. I am basicly running an OEM 2.35 hybrid block using phase 1 2.5 rods and a 2.5 crank and a set of weisco pistons. My 2.0 liter heads will bolt right up and i can use my wrx wiring harness and ecu. I will have a write up on this when i am all finished. Oh and for the people that think the 2.5 block is the way to go... i have completed my 2.35 bulletproof block at 1,500. The next part will be better cams valves and springs.
(specs)
Stroke 79mm (phase 1 crank pre 1999)
Piston bore 97.5mm (Wiseco K602M975)
Rods 5.137" 130.48mm (Eagle CRS5137S3D)
WRX heads 49cc (link)
Headgasket 0.051" 1.295mm (Cometic C4263-051)

btw does anyone have a extra phase 1 crank forsale i want another one..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.