WRX '02 Cylinder Heads cracked - any suggestions? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

CompuPsych is an unknown
WRX '02 Cylinder Heads cracked - any suggestions?

I had my 2002 WRX (109,000 miles) in the shop to have a head gasket replacement and was told that there are cracks in both cylinder heads. There doesn't appear to be any coolant leaking at this point. The options I've been given:

1. Replaced both with Subaru heads ($1000 each plus labor).
2. Replace the entire engine.
3. Use the existing heads and pray.

I've done some research and have found places that will refurbish heads, but I haven't found any info about the reliability of the companies.

Any suggestions of other options or solid companies that reburbish head or provide new heads at a reasonable cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Where are the heads cracked at? The good thing about Alum heads are you can weld them. Ask to see where they are cracked at as well. Look around for some used head here is a website, give them a call and they might have some bare heads they can see ya.

P&L Motorsports - Home
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Depending on the internals, you can purchase blank heads for half that. I purchased two blanks for 800..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuPsych View Post
I had my 2002 WRX (109,000 miles) in the shop to have a head gasket replacement and was told that there are cracks in both cylinder heads. There doesn't appear to be any coolant leaking at this point. The options I've been given:

1. Replaced both with Subaru heads ($1000 each plus labor).
2. Replace the entire engine.
3. Use the existing heads and pray.

I've done some research and have found places that will refurbish heads, but I haven't found any info about the reliability of the companies.

Any suggestions of other options or solid companies that reburbish head or provide new heads at a reasonable cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
WOW, $1000 each to fix :eek:! I think you need to find a new mechanic. I got a new EJ257 Short Block for $1850, back in August when my EJ205 got the knock (I told her to use protection, LOL). Now maybe a good time to consider a hybrid build.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
How big are the cracks? Mine had micro cracks that my machinist assured me wouldn't be a problem for a long time. I just used them. I'll get fresh heads on my next build, but they're fine for now.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #6 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

CompuPsych is an unknown
cylinder heads cracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Where are the heads cracked at? The good thing about Alum heads are you can weld them. Ask to see where they are cracked at as well. Look around for some used head here is a website, give them a call and they might have some bare heads they can see ya.

P&L Motorsports - Home
The cracks run from the valves to the spark plugs. They are thin cracks (there isn't any wide gapping).

Thanks for the reference.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
Now maybe a good time to consider a hybrid build.
Well first off his heads are cracked any by doing a Hybrid he would have to use his EJ20 heads which are the prob right now so by him doing a Hybrid he would be in the same boat he is right now but just another $2,000 down for the EJ25 shortblock. I would take the heads to a machine shop and have them magnaflux both heads, you might be surprised what they say, they could just grind them down and call it good or do a little welding job on them. Try that and see what happens bro.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompuPsych View Post
The cracks run from the valves to the spark plugs. They are thin cracks (there isn't any wide gapping).

Thanks for the reference.
My friend has the same thing. They put the motor back together and he has been running the car for a year with zero issues.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 06:10 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Cast aluminum can be welded much easier than cast iron.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

+1 to that!!!