Subaru WRX Forum banner

Who here has cams?

8K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  TwoCobras 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of adding cams and other internals to the Parts Guide soon... just trying to gauge how many people actually have them.

#14 ·
cams!!! THE PRICE OF CAMS is not that bad but the cost of install is close to $2000 that is just crazy, and for the power you gain about 20whp is not worth the cost at all, use the 3 grand and get a turbo and a new tmic and get up to 100whp depending the turbo and what the boost is set to!

#16 ·
My 4eat/20g/2.5litre with ported heads and Crower Stage II cams made ~30whp less than my tuner's STi with a Green and stock heads/cams. My car was tuned in 2nd without locking the converter, his was in the traditional 4th/5th gear.

The estimate of how much power the torque converter eats up varies between 20whp and 50whp.

#17 ·
Cams is one of the last thing most consider due to the money-power ratio.Definatly not one of the best bangs for the buck.I would probably want ported/polished heads and a valve job to get the most out of a cam swap.

#18 ·
But here is the thing.. The issue with Cams is the same that I've been saying over and over again.. IT's not about Peak numbers.. Cams along with P&P will definitly fatten up your power band which is MUCH better then peak numbers.. Coupled with a decent Turbo like a 20G will definitly make a difference...

#21 ·
True but most Subaru owners (like myself) don't like the sound of equal length headers. But with that aside I agree that headers are a good choice once you upgrade to a decent flowing turbo.. But imagine the gain with both.. LOL..

#25 ·
I'm using Cosworth cams. We tried to buy Crower, but the backlog was months. Until I get the trans built, I can't really say how well they work. For sure, we'll be well over 400/400 on a very conservative Mustang dyno. The trick, as you well know, is to figure out what you want out of an engine, and for what reasons, and then to put a package together that does exactly that. I really don't think it's necessary to P&P for most people. Simply deshroud the heads, make sure the valves fit properly. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that whether or not you keep the stock cams, if you are going to try for big hp, then you better get new springs and retainers.

Hey, how do you like your ACT clutch? I put in a ClutchMaster 200, and it sucks big time. No way, no how can you avoid chatter in all gears, up and down both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.