Subaru WRX Forum banner

Well it finally happened

12K views 76 replies 15 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
I just found that my #3 cylinder is running low pressure (110) on my REX....which is causing some issues....so I think I am finally going to get the 2.5L bottom end and start making some real power....My only question is does anyone know where I can get a STI block for fairly cheap?

#28 ·
Hello everyone..!! I am new to the WRX world but i also had the same question that NICK did..!!! I just pulled engine out of my REX today cause i had low compression in my # 4 cylinder and # 3...so i wasn't sure what to go with either.... 2.2 stoker or STI short block.. Well i have read all your comets and now i need to decide myself on what i want to do and what kind of numbers I'm looking to get on the DYNO..!! thanks all again:D

#30 ·
I just ran into a semi closed STi block with CP pistons and cosworth bearings for 2500....I think I am going to hop on this while the hopping is good....I can get more outta this than a 2.3 stroke...

#34 ·
AuToMaN_1 said:
Hello everyone..!! I am new to the WRX world but i also had the same question that NICK did..!!! I just pulled engine out of my REX today cause i had low compression in my # 4 cylinder and # 3...so i wasn't sure what to go with either.... 2.2 stoker or STI short block.. Well i have read all your comets and now i need to decide myself on what i want to do and what kind of numbers I'm looking to get on the DYNO..!! thanks all again:D
with the STI block you could easily reach 450whp with some awesome torque and with the 2.2 stroker you could get in the high 300's with pretty good torque numbers....all in all from my research the 2.5L is the best bang for the buck...just get one that is semi closed and you should be good to go

#37 ·
AuToMaN_1 said:
SOLD...!!! On the thaught of going with a 2.5 shorty..my next question is does anyone know if there are any other things i will need or does the short block 2.5 bolt straight on with no other parts needed from a 2.5 needed..??
You'll probably end up needing a new tranny/clutch :) I'm eventually going to go with the sti 2.5l block once I get bored with my power level.

#39 ·
Well bad new's for me:(( i was going with the 2.5 block so i decided to send out my heads to do a pressure check and resurface come to find out that both the heads are (CRACKED).. now that bites...!!!! throws a big ass monkey wrench into the 2.5 build cause now i need heads...Now I'm wondering if a complete JDM 2.0 with AVCS along with ECU would be a great setup... They say that is a better built engine with 246hp versus my stock USDM 227hp... Just wondering what you all think about this setup... COMMETS please...!!! thanks all again..!!!

#40 ·
I guess for me, the price would be the deciding factor. If the JDM 2L swap is similar in price to a full STI one, I'd go with the STI swap just for the increased compression alone. Not only that, but with the STI block you have a great foundation for making some really nice power.

Just my $.02.

#44 ·
OK i have another question..?!!!! Will my VF34 turbo work with the complete STI engine..?? i am running up/down pipes,catless back exhaust, sti pink injectors and soon FMIC (greddy) along with new engine swap... or should i go to the stock VF39 turbo..!!?? Sorry about the NEWBIE questions but i am a GUPPIE still:D:)) THNX ALL

#45 ·
AuToMaN_1 said:
OK i have another question..?!!!! Will my VF34 turbo work with the complete STI engine..?? i am running up/down pipes,catless back exhaust, sti pink injectors and soon FMIC (greddy) along with new engine swap... or should i go to the stock VF39 turbo..!!?? Sorry about the NEWBIE questions but i am a GUPPIE still:D:)) THNX ALL

The 34 is way too small for the 2.5L IMO....I wouldn't go anything much smaller than a '18G' size turbo...unless you are planning AutoX'ing a lot than a Big 16G type of tubro. The VF39 is a good turbo but you won't get the full potential outta your other upgrades with that turbo....additionally you should get a higher flow fuel pump as well.

#48 ·
Ludachris said:
Nick, let me know when you start wrenching on it. I'd love to come by and watch :D

Okay, maybe I'd help out a little too...
Will do....Harvey is building the block rightnow at Super Rupair in boulder...I should pick it up in a few weeks....I am starting to get getty :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.