Subaru WRX Forum banner

Well it finally happened

12K views 76 replies 15 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
I just found that my #3 cylinder is running low pressure (110) on my REX....which is causing some issues....so I think I am finally going to get the 2.5L bottom end and start making some real power....My only question is does anyone know where I can get a STI block for fairly cheap?

#7 ·
It's really a toss up there. I'd go with the STi block simply for the higher revving capabilities over the strokers. Do the STi block, head work, cams, and raise the rev limit. That would be sick. :rocks:

Oh yeah, the 25 psi would be nice too. :D :sneaky:

#8 ·
EH....I dont think I am going to raise the rev limit til I get hardened internals...at the moment my No. 1 concern is gettin my Rex back on the road :)....I just need to find out what will work best for me the 2.5L or a stroker....hell I even have some people telling me to just sleeve the EJ20 and fix the rings on the #3....so many choices so little money :)

#12 ·
I just dropped in an STI block. I would say don't sleeve the 2.0 and attempt to keep it. As for the stroker they produce massive torque numbers but you can't rev them as fast, but I personally don't have any personal experience with them.. Here is what I know for sure.. Coupled with the GT35R turbo I noticed a Hugh increase in bottom end.. Even with my fuel map still getting the kinks worked out.. Definitely ditch the 2.0 for the stroker or the 2.5... !Thumbs Up !Thumbs Up

#14 ·
Well you can sleeve it, but it costs what, 900 for Darton sleeves.. Plus you need rings and other assembly pieces, also you still have to disassemble to a short block anyway, I purchased my STI block from Kerven Subaru for 1,600.. An additional 500 gained me a nice bit of NOTICEABLE bottom end.. Just my suggestion.. But I can honestly say you will NOT regret going to the 2.5.. ;)

+1 for the Loto.

#16 ·
Humm.. Let me ask my engine builder.. I will get back to you on this one.. I didn't think about that because I had an upgraded turbo.. GT45R... I would "assume" you can, however you might over spool it with the added exhaust form the extra displacement even at just .5l... Does anyone know what turbo is on the 06s.. I know they are 2.5L blocks.. Let me ask Manic he has an 06...

I sent out a message I should hear back from him soon...

Edit: Ok, I talked to Manic and his 2006 WRX with the 2.5L stock block has the TD04 Turbo stock so it's all gravey baby..

#18 ·
I talked to my engine builder.. He said that the TD04 will spool almost instantly but you will most likely max it out on the top end.. But if you want a hole shot monster that will be one.. But upgrades are always a + but I though you were on a budget??? lol. As for the Transmission get a Spec clutch or like that will slip a little.. DON"T get and ACT, mine engages so hard it's ridiculous and horrible for my drive-train.. Other then that I would also say Gear sets for your transmission, but just going to the 2.5 and a slightly larger turbo will not require an upgrade.. Just keep the stock clutch which will slip before your break gears...

#19 ·
LiL Shoaf said:
I talked to my engine builder.. He said that the TD04 will spool almost instantly but you will most likely max it out on the top end.. But if you want a hole shot monster that will be one.. But upgrades are always a + but I though you were on a budget??? lol. As for the Transmission get a Spec clutch or like that will slip a little.. DON"T get and ACT, mine engages so hard it's ridiculous and horrible for my drive-train.. Other then that I would also say Gear sets for your transmission, but just going to the 2.5 and a slightly larger turbo will not require an upgrade.. Just keep the stock clutch which will slip before your break gears...

I am on a budget...but most of my upgrades are already done ready for 450+whp..I am not worried at all about breaking my gears or anything else for that matter :) ...my internals on my Ej20 was my weak point which finally did break..

MY list of 'upgrades'

BIG Ass FMIC with BOV
EJ5-40T Turbo
565cc injectors/walbro 244lph pump/perrin fuel rails
3.5" catless exhaust
unequal headers/includes up-pipe
UTEC
DOG BOX TRANNY/RPS Street Disc
and other random suspension/engine stuff

#22 ·
Just going to go with full internals

I am going to go with the 2.3L stroker kit which includes pistons, rods, rings..and all that jazz...so with that said..I am going to get a Billet Crank Shaft but I dont know what size to get the Ej20's 75mm or the EJ25's 79mm and additionally I am going to need a whole new valve train...from my research everything is "the best" but what is...I don't want to go into this halfcocked you know ...anyone have any ideas/suggestions

#23 ·
!Thumbs Up Nice choice.. Let me know how the stroker spools up and runs.. I am thinking about taking my old 2.0 block and sleeving it and stroking it as a "Back Up" motor.. Sounds like you and I might be a nice match up at the strip.. Nice work.. Ohh, as for the valve-train, I ordered new heads, cams, valves, springs, port/polish through Ron at Axis Racing.. Ron is a great guy that knows his stuff.. He is also very eager to help out and will work with you on prices.. I know I saved a lot because I did it all at one time through him.. Give him a call and talk to him, he might be what you are looking for... !Thumbs Up !Thumbs Up

Edit: Ron @ Axis Power Racing - 1.314.443.7414

#24 ·
I am just going to port and polish my wrx heads and keep them....this should be fun to put together :) do you know if he can make my block fully closed...I have someone here...but I also want to do all my busniess in one spot if you know what I mean

#25 ·
Just called 'em....they do know thier subby's....nice to talk to someone like that every once in a while...they don't do the closed deck thing nor did he recommend it....weird..but I am going to do some more shopping around and see what I can see

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.