wanting to do a sti block swap in 02 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

02subieguy is an unknown
wanting to do a sti block swap in 02 wrx

i have a blown ej20 motor sittin in my car and want to swap in a sti shortblock and use my ej20 heads, what sort of problems will i run into with this set up? and any recommendations on how to do this will be greatly appreciated can i still use my factory wrx computer or no? and can i still use my five speed trans as opposed to the six speed (very very very limited budget here) just wanting to get the block swapped in so i can start work again then get transmission and everything else upgraded shortly after thanks again for any help guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can use your heads and transmission, the only thing i can think of that you will need is a reflash on you ecu to deal with the extra .5 liters.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#3 Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That has become a common thing to do with the 02-05 WRXs, search on here and NASIOC, I have seen guys give good info on what they did and needed for the setup.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 09-13-2008, 09:42 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Yes you can use everything off your 2.0L motor with the 2.5L block.. Your clutch will still work along with your 5 speed. You can also use your heads, accessories and all that. The only thing you will need is a reflash on the ecu (or a piggyback unit like AP or utec) and "New" Blues or Pinks wouldn't hurt.. However I don't think they are really necessary..

Don't forget to set aside funds for an OEM gasket kit which is a couple hundred. With the price of the block and the gasket kit you can do this build for a little over 2,000 if you do the work..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#5 Old 09-14-2008, 06:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

02subieguy is an unknown
thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it...can anyone give me an idea to find an sti shortblock for under two thousand...the cheaper the better but i dont want nothin to cheap aka junk i have a 2500 budget right now so if someone could tell me the bare essentials that would be great would an s-afc work temporarily i have one laying around but when i get the rest of my money i'm going standalone management my intake manifold and accessories and all will work correct? yet again thanks for being patient with me its just i have to pull the motor anyway and i wanna go ahead and get the sti block in and still be able to baby it around back and forth to work and no farther which would only be like 4 miles a day at very part throttle i just dont wanna bother pulling the motor again this makes the second time i had to pull it out and i'm hoping its the last thanks again for the time, info and patience
#6 Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

LeohMit is an unknown
DOOO IT... I just droped a ej257, & a vf39 turbo in my 02', & it ROCKS!

Tim "That Thangs Got Turbo?"
#7 Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

bradze isn't as helpful as most
thats exactly what i did, blew up my ej207 and thought "i can get an ej257 for a thousand more..." yes, the two do have several similarities, but get an ej257 block, youll then need a vf39, a 6-spd trans, new diff, axles, hubs, computer, etc... save yourself the time and trouble, get rid of the wrx. just get a 04 or 05 sti. youll end up spending over $15k to convert your wrx into an sti. my advice to you, stay 2.0l. find jdm parts.
#8 Old 09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
youll then need a vf39, a 6-spd trans, new diff, axles, hubs, computer...you dont need any of that...if anything just the turbo to balance out power with the larger displacement, the whole point in making a hybrid is well..so it uses everything you already have...all you need is a tune.
#9 Old 09-16-2008, 03:15 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
thats exactly what i did, blew up my ej207 and thought "i can get an ej257 for a thousand more..."
WHAT!?!? You guys are just tacking on a 7 to the end of your engine descriptions completely randomly! It's totally off. Do you just think it's EJ + displacement + a 7??? Why are you even giving engine description abbreviations if you have no idea what they mean?

Subaru EJ engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term "EJ207" does not apply to ANY car sold in the US, EVER. The 02-05 WRX had an "EJ205" which is more closely related to the 96-98 Vintage JDM STi EJ20K motor than an EJ207. A true "EJ207" is a 2.0L JDM STi motor from 1998 on. It has never and likely will never be sold in the US.

Similarly, "EJ257" is an STi motor from the 04STi onward. The 2.5L in the 06+ WRX is an EJ255.

When you talk about throwing an "STi shortblock" into your WRX, you're NOT putting in an EJ257. What you're building is a hybrid of an EJ257 and an EJ205. A full EJ257 swap into a WRX would require a new wiring harness, ECU, petals, dash, etc. Turbo/tranny/intercooler/fueling aside...

bradze, didn't mean to single you out. You are far from the only person to do this.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 09-16-2008, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
I have a quick random question.

Could you use the 2.5 block from the 06-07 wrx just like the STi 2.5 block?

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#11 Old 09-16-2008, 03:56 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02subieguy View Post
thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it...can anyone give me an idea to find an sti shortblock for under two thousand...the cheaper the better but i dont want nothin to cheap aka junk i have a 2500 budget right now so if someone could tell me the bare essentials that would be great would an s-afc work temporarily i have one laying around but when i get the rest of my money i'm going standalone management my intake manifold and accessories and all will work correct? yet again thanks for being patient with me its just i have to pull the motor anyway and i wanna go ahead and get the sti block in and still be able to baby it around back and forth to work and no farther which would only be like 4 miles a day at very part throttle i just dont wanna bother pulling the motor again this makes the second time i had to pull it out and i'm hoping its the last thanks again for the time, info and patience
Give Ron at Rawerformance.com a call. He will work with you on cost and help you out. He built my motor.

Bare Essentials..
Block
Full Gasket kit
Tune
Injectors (saftey net)
New timing belt (a lot harder to change when the motor is in)
New fluids (Coolant, Oil, Gear Lube)
New thermostate (why not, it's cheap)

I can't think of any other costs..

All the accessories work as I mentioned prior. Intake, heads, AC, Alt, blah blah blah..

#12 Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
thats exactly what i did, blew up my ej207 and thought "i can get an ej257 for a thousand more..." yes, the two do have several similarities, but get an ej257 block, youll then need a vf39, a 6-spd trans, new diff, axles, hubs, computer, etc... save yourself the time and trouble, get rid of the wrx. just get a 04 or 05 sti. youll end up spending over $15k to convert your wrx into an sti. my advice to you, stay 2.0l. find jdm parts.
Pleas tell me your kidding.

The EJ2507 works well with the 5 WRX trans. If not beat it will last as long as on a 2.0
The TD04 will work on the 2.5, however it will smother itself at high rpm, but will spool faster.
You don't need an STI 6 speed.
Thus you don't need the Rear Diff, Half Shafts, or hubs.

At most one would spend about 3,000 on the build and tune if they turn their own wrenches. There is also enough guys that can Open Source now that can help out with tuning to save more.

#13 Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
I have a quick random question.

Could you use the 2.5 block from the 06-07 wrx just like the STi 2.5 block?
It's not the same, and not as strong.

#14 Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You totally could use the EJ255 short block, you just wouldn't want to. That's because of all those little differences between the EJ255 and the EJ257 that 06+ WRX owners don't like to acknowledge.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Oh ok, thanks for clarification guys.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2