Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   upgrade my oil pump? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/upgrade-my-oil-pump-27727/)

Drexer13 12-07-2009 09:28 AM

upgrade my oil pump?

Sorry if this has been covered a thousand times:beatentod but Iíve been searching the sight for a few days and still canít find the info Iím looking for. Iím doing a pretty mild ej205 build pretty soon and I canít decide if I should upgrade the oil pump or not. Iíve heard of a lot of people spinning bearings because of oil starvation and Iím just wondering if I can avoid this by upgrading the Oil pump. Hereís what Iím using so far.
Stock sti rods
wiseco forged pistons 8.5 :1
ACL race bearings
Oem gasket kit
Oem water pump
Iím not planning on adding a lot of high power mods probably just a TBE and a stage 2 tune.
What do you guys think?

RcrsWetDream 12-07-2009 11:29 AM

I really don't see why not... Your build isn't going to be a 500hp monster from what it looks like so you don't really need it but since you have it all torn down why not save time later and just do it now. Down the road you might go crazy and crank the power up and then you will need it and you'll be glad it's already done.

Drexer13 12-07-2009 12:48 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking the same thing.
but I was also wonding if the stock pump is to blame for all the spun bearings. I bought a block from guy that only had 6000 miles on a subaru crate short block and it spun a bearing. Whats The cause?

RcrsWetDream 12-07-2009 02:20 PM

Usually oil starvation causing the bearing to come in contact with the rods, causing them to spin with the rods- usually because of high rpm's on a cold engine. Another cause can be over revving, causing your rod bolts to over stretch, letting the bearing spin from lack of force holding them in place. Either way the guy beat the crap out of the motor.

c2bcoolwrx 12-07-2009 02:52 PM

I would be more worried about the oil pickup and the oil pan. When doing a build from a blown block it is better to start with a new oil pan and baffle, than to worry about getting all the metal shavings/etc out of the old oil pan. The way the EJ205 oil pan is designed it is not as good as the EJ257/STi oil pan design in how it holds the oil/the way it flows to the pickup. I believe many people are running a modified oil pickup for safety. This has been discussed in great detail on the NASIOC boards.

Personally, for my EJ257 hybrid build I am running a STi/OEM oil pan, STI/OEM oil pump, and a slightly modified oil pick up (my engine builder/tuner modded it a bit for a little bit better safety/reliablity, I just never cared to ask exactly what he did.

Regardless, I agree with the other posters. You just need to make sure to run the correct oil, the correct amount of oil, and check it on a regular basis. Also, it would not hurt to have an oil pressure gauge. I would also add a new timing belt to your list and your clutch may need some looking at too (i.e. new clutch disk and/or pressure plate; resurface flywheel).

Drexer13 12-07-2009 03:02 PM

Thanks for the insight. I didnt even think about moding the oil pick up. After a bunch more reading I think Im going to go with a 08 sti oil pump. Its 11mm and flows a bit better.

yamasubaruge 12-13-2009 01:45 AM

So an 08 STI oil pump will work on a EJ205? I need to buy one in the next week.

VD5505 12-13-2009 09:45 AM

I really wouldnt worry to much about getting a different oil pump unless you were going to really make some higher numbers with that engine. Bigger oil pans are starting to come down in price, anytime you can store more oil in the engine lubricating system is a good thing cause it gives it more time to cool down before being used again, also maybe look into a better oil cooler system, but i know guys that are making 500whp tack cars with the stock oil system and having no problems. Like noted above just make sure you are running a good oil and that it is topped off all the time and you should be good to go.

jed344 12-13-2009 12:52 PM

ya i have oil temp gauge in my car and it never gets very high and if i wana cool i can hit the heat and in under 5min min it will drop 40deg. so unless you are planning on going big heating isnt a issue. as far as lube i dont know.

yamasubaruge 12-13-2009 02:37 PM

I found an 08 pump for the same price as the stock 02, could or should I get it or am I sill beter off with stock?

newtothegame 12-13-2009 05:33 PM

If its the same price I would get the bigger one, but thats just me. Gives headroom for latter down the road, never can tell what you might do with the car.