Subaru WRX Forum banner

timing belt gone wrong question

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  battlegorge 
#1 ·
here's the back story, well i put a new timing belt in my 06 wrx as well as water pump and oil pump and new radiator, when putting the timing belt on, i ended up putting the top right cam 180 degrees out of time, i cranked it over by hand and there didnt seem to be any sort of collision, it turned through 2 full cycles with no trouble, so i installed the radiator and filled my fluids, went to start the car and noticed that only the left 2 cylinders were firing and the car wouldn't turn over, hence i assume that the belt was 180 degrees out of time, since i had spun it around a few times in the process of installing the timing belt and must have switched the orientation.

now for my question, does anyone know if in fact there is clearance in valves and piston to where i didnt just throw a valve into my piston and destroy everything, the motor is stock with stock internals

#2 ·
If you turned the motor by hand enough revolutions to complete a cycle and didnt feel anything and didnt hear any noise when attempting to turn over then the valves may just be clearing the pistons in the recesses. But to be completely sure, why not just do a leak down test?

How do you know you turned a cam 180 degrees the wrong way? Seems like alot

#4 ·
and in reply to the other question, when u take the belt off the bottom cam on one side depending where the motor stopped, is loaded by a valve spring, so when i released the tensioner the bottom cam that was loaded pulled the belt and spun the top cam, the top cam spun pretty freely, i think because it is hydraulic, and lost traction with the timing belt and i didnt pay much attention to it untill after the fact, when i realized that the car wasnt starting and it clicked in my brain that thats the only reasonable answer to it, i basically didnt pay too close of attention to the whole situation because the timing mark on the bottom and top of the cam gear/pulley or whatever you want to call it different i just didnt notice it, im going to do a leak down test once its all together because i think that it should be good, i was just trying to decide if while i had it torn down for the seccond time to just buy new heads n valves n cams n what not but im thinking it should be good now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.