Time for a new block...advice please - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Question Time for a new block...advice please

After 137K hard miles of being driven extremely hard, the wagon has severe rod knock (right side... sounds terminal ) so it's time to breathe new life into the car with a new engine. I'm not really in a financial position to do this, so please don't suggest a Cosworth shortblock or something equally non-realistic. So far it would appear the obvious options are:

New shortblock from Fuji and re manufactured heads from Super Rupair (approx $ 2K)

JDM low mileage engine and ECU from one of the importers ($ 2-4k )

Possible junkyard or E-bay score

The advice I'd like to get are the pros and cons for the first two options, or the possibility of going with a 2.2 or 2.5 block, and the can of worms that might open. I'm not usually lazy about searching for previous posts, but have my hands and brain full trying to get a full drive train swap (FWD auto '93 impreza L to AWD 5 spd. from a '95 L) done so I don't have to take my daughter to school in the race car (it's sooo embarrassing !) for too long. Thanks in advance

Oh and yes, I am excited about the prospect !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-25-2009, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I guess the best question to ask is what is your spending limit?

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 04-25-2009, 10:46 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Realistically, around $2500 will be the best I can do, maybe 3K, and I probably won't have it to spend all at once. That's why I'm wondering if the older 2.2 T might be a viable block option, as I've read that they are quite sturdy (non interference ?) and can be had for cheap from time to time.

I'd really like to go with the newer 2.5, but am pretty sure there's no way to do that within budget.

edit: I checked and can get the EJ22T closed deck oil squirter crated short block for $2600 shipped, or EJ25T crate short block semi-closed deck with turbo pistons $1900 shipped, I'm still waiting for a EJ205 short block price from my friend Lisa (import performance service)
#4 Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 PM

No opinions ? How unlike these forums ....
#5 Old 04-28-2009, 05:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
The 257 shortblocks are probably the easiest and most accesable way to go. The 2.2t closed deck are tanks, i can't say if they are interference or not.

Are your heads still good? a hybrid would probably be a good option 257 block with 205 heads, but i have heard of them having oil breather problems, that was on my friends track only car, but he was running lots of boost on a big turbo.

Do you think you could possibly bore then sleeve your existing block? probably not, but that would be the cheapest option and give you a very strong platform, maybe even get a little more displacement.

What turbo are you running I can't remember...all the damn drugs aahaha

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#6 Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I would build up a strong EJ257 motor!!!
#7 Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Oh wait you did^^^^^ lol

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#8 Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 PM

Update time:

I have a rebuilt EJ205 shortblock on the way from Out front Motorsports. Welcome to Outfront, mate !
They are also sending me the gasket and seal kit and a water pump. Total w/shipping $1400. There's a 180 day warranty on the block. I figure I can give it a good thrashing after the break-in, to see how stout it is ! Out front is also going to go through my heads for me ($325 for both) They seem to be good guys, with their main business related to Subie powered sand rails and such. I'll let you know how it all turns out. The blown engine will be hanging from a chain in a couple of hours. A buddy is bringing me his TD04 with 12K miles on it for $50 It's looking like the wagon will be resurrected strong again for under $2K. I am very excited
#9 Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Good deal wagonracer. Hope it all works out well for you.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
great stuff man...hey btw what lip is that on your car?

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#11 Old 05-31-2009, 09:58 PM

It was a Liberal. It's long gone now...
#12 Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I've been thinking about getting one...how was the fitment?

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 PM

I got lucky and bought it used, already mounted on a bumper, and painted silver. I just painted the black insert (to make it mine) and installed. It looked like fitment was good, by the way it was glued to the bumper, nice and tidy. Clearance was definitely an issue, esp when my splitter was on it (pic). It was a noticeable aero improvement for fast sweepers (90+ MPH) and under hard breaking from high speed (125ish) I don't think think it was effective at lower speeds, and since the car sees the third world roads here in N.M., I removed it and sold, before it got destroyed.

Back on topic, I got the motor pulled and broken down today, so the heads can go out for machining tomorrow. (see new thread) The new block and stuff should arrive Tues. Hopefully I'll have the heads back by the beginning of next week and can start reassembly. I'm shooting for having it buttoned up by the 13th.
Name:  splitter new 001.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  190.9 KB
#14 Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Nice pic wagon, and good luck with everything.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"