Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Time for a new block...advice please (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/time-new-block-advice-please-26023/)

wagonracer 04-25-2009 09:17 PM

Time for a new block...advice please

After 137K hard miles of being driven extremely hard, the wagon has severe rod knock (right side... sounds terminal :() so it's time to breathe new life into the car with a new engine. I'm not really in a financial position to do this, so please don't suggest a Cosworth shortblock or something equally non-realistic. So far it would appear the obvious options are:

New shortblock from Fuji and re manufactured heads from Super Rupair (approx $ 2K)

JDM low mileage engine and ECU from one of the importers ($ 2-4k )

Possible junkyard or E-bay score

The advice I'd like to get are the pros and cons for the first two options, or the possibility of going with a 2.2 or 2.5 block, and the can of worms that might open. I'm not usually lazy about searching for previous posts, but have my hands and brain full trying to get a full drive train swap (FWD auto '93 impreza L to AWD 5 spd. from a '95 L) done so I don't have to take my daughter to school in the race car (it's sooo embarrassing !) for too long. Thanks in advance !Thumbs Up

Oh and yes, I am excited about the prospect !

baller_v24 04-25-2009 10:33 PM

I guess the best question to ask is what is your spending limit?

wagonracer 04-25-2009 10:46 PM

Realistically, around $2500 will be the best I can do, maybe 3K, and I probably won't have it to spend all at once. That's why I'm wondering if the older 2.2 T might be a viable block option, as I've read that they are quite sturdy (non interference ?) and can be had for cheap from time to time.

I'd really like to go with the newer 2.5, but am pretty sure there's no way to do that within budget.

edit: I checked and can get the EJ22T closed deck oil squirter crated short block for $2600 shipped, or EJ25T crate short block semi-closed deck with turbo pistons $1900 shipped, I'm still waiting for a EJ205 short block price from my friend Lisa (import performance service)

wagonracer 04-27-2009 09:13 PM

No opinions ? How unlike these forums ....

WRXKidid775 04-28-2009 05:23 AM

The 257 shortblocks are probably the easiest and most accesable way to go. The 2.2t closed deck are tanks, i can't say if they are interference or not.

Are your heads still good? a hybrid would probably be a good option 257 block with 205 heads, but i have heard of them having oil breather problems, that was on my friends track only car, but he was running lots of boost on a big turbo.

Do you think you could possibly bore then sleeve your existing block? probably not, but that would be the cheapest option and give you a very strong platform, maybe even get a little more displacement.

What turbo are you running I can't remember...all the damn drugs aahaha

VD5505 04-28-2009 06:36 PM

I would build up a strong EJ257 motor!!!

baller_v24 04-28-2009 10:38 PM

Oh wait you did^^^^^ lol

wagonracer 05-29-2009 05:23 PM

Update time:

I have a rebuilt EJ205 shortblock on the way from Out front Motorsports. [url=http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/homepage.htm]Welcome to Outfront, mate ![/url]
They are also sending me the gasket and seal kit and a water pump. Total w/shipping $1400. There's a 180 day warranty on the block. I figure I can give it a good thrashing after the break-in, to see how stout it is ! Out front is also going to go through my heads for me ($325 for both) They seem to be good guys, with their main business related to Subie powered sand rails and such. I'll let you know how it all turns out. The blown engine will be hanging from a chain in a couple of hours. A buddy is bringing me his TD04 with 12K miles on it for $50 !Thumbs Up It's looking like the wagon will be resurrected strong again for under $2K. I am very excited

newtothegame 05-29-2009 09:21 PM

Good deal wagonracer. Hope it all works out well for you.

basco 05-30-2009 10:51 PM

great stuff man...hey btw what lip is that on your car?

wagonracer 05-31-2009 09:58 PM

It was a Liberal. It's long gone now...

basco 05-31-2009 10:10 PM

I've been thinking about getting one...how was the fitment?

wagonracer 05-31-2009 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got lucky and bought it used, already mounted on a bumper, and painted silver. I just painted the black insert (to make it mine) and installed. It looked like fitment was good, by the way it was glued to the bumper, nice and tidy. Clearance was definitely an issue, esp when my splitter was on it (pic). It was a noticeable aero improvement for fast sweepers (90+ MPH) and under hard breaking from high speed (125ish) I don't think think it was effective at lower speeds, and since the car sees the third world roads here in N.M., I removed it and sold, before it got destroyed.

Back on topic, I got the motor pulled and broken down today, so the heads can go out for machining tomorrow. (see new thread) The new block and stuff should arrive Tues. Hopefully I'll have the heads back by the beginning of next week and can start reassembly. I'm shooting for having it buttoned up by the 13th.
[ATTACH]4129[/ATTACH]

newtothegame 05-31-2009 11:49 PM

Nice pic wagon, and good luck with everything.