The time finally came...motor build! - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
To Brett...let us know what your builder decides. Sorry for dragging your thread off topic to a extent.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Kirt: Since yourself and I have a very similar build this thread has made me a little uneasy as well, but I've talked with my tuner and mechanic and they both told me that throughout all the years they have tuned subies they have never seen an OEM crank fail on them or an OEM nitrate treated crank fail thus far.

When I was putting together my build with Troy (builder) he never said he preferred one crank over the other (OEM vs Nitrate). He's out of the shop today but I'll call him tomorrow and discuss these concerns (cranks and bearings) and get back to you with his input.

Troy is an extremely reputable builder in Denver. He has built countless numbers of high power subies and I've yet to hear anything but great things about him. So I really trust his input/work and again will let you guys know what he has to say as soon as I talk with him.

Off topic...one of his Subi builds is making the front cover of the October issue of Modified Magazine. You guys should check it out...its beautiful!

Keith: I appreciate the info you posted about the cranks though...its definitely an interesting topic of discussion.

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#48 Old 09-05-2011, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cool, I'd be glad to hear what he says. I'm thinking as long as its done right and you don't let the oil get low (or empty ) Then...unless your road racing the heck out of it. I think the crank and bearings should hold up to the normal wear and tear or romping on it every now and then. I prefer import tuner...but, I'll take a look at his work. I like reading on projects.

Kirt
#49 Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bump Any info? My tuner has said the nitride cranks are what every builder is going to and the bearing issue should've just been the 09 build issue that has been long since figured out. I'm praying the ACL bearings are not a issue. Chad (my tuner) says they use ACL bearings in all their builds EVO engines or subaru.

Kirt
#50 Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a set of stock valves I'll give to you...lol hahahaha Hey they still work just a bit dusty.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#51 Old 09-13-2011, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Won't work...my heads are ported and polished.

Kirt
#52 Old 09-13-2011, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oh yeah the spiffy stuff...haha

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#53 Old 11-15-2011, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Bump Any info? My tuner has said the nitride cranks are what every builder is going to and the bearing issue should've just been the 09 build issue that has been long since figured out. I'm praying the ACL bearings are not a issue. Chad (my tuner) says they use ACL bearings in all their builds EVO engines or subaru.
Kirt,

Sorry for such a delayed response...but my builder said the exact same thing about the nitride cranks and yes I hope the ACL bearings hold up.

I just got done catching up on your build and I'm really excited to see the power you put down after break in. Seems like a really solid build...i'm happy for you man!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#54 Old 11-15-2011, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Update!

So here's the latest on my build:

My sleeved block came in last Monday and it looked gorgeous! My builder said it was the best work he has seen yet (I wish I had pictures but unfortunately don't and the camera on my phone is garbage). My heads came in last Friday and they looked great as well.

My jdm v7 tranny came in Monday and seems to be in great condition.

Short block is all together and the heads are assembled other than my cams. I had Kelford 272/268 cams but my builder called me this morning and told me he had a change of heart on my cams and wanted to downsize to 264/264 as the 272 had to much lift for my current setup.

Was suppose to get my car back on Friday but looks more to be next Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Can't wait to have her back and start breaking the motor in!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#55 Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Awesome news. Yeah, I have about 200 more miles to put on my car and then I can get the protune. Plus update my profile. I currently have almost 800 miles on the new engine and had the oil changed at 500 miles.

I'm also the guinea pig for a new Blouch turbo I hope it pans out to be a great update to the DOM 3.0 Blouch can never stop messing around with their products. Plus, I need the help to get more hp out of pump 93. Currently my tuner won't tune E85 or I'd keep the Dom 2.5XTR. That and it was a cheap upgrade to be the guinea pig. !Laugh!

Kirt
#56 Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Much Needed Update!

Haven't been on here in a long time but wanted to update everyone with my current set-up. It has been quite the journey the past few years with my subi but it will well be worth it in the end. I am currently on my 4th motor...I know right? :/

Stock blew due to crushed piston with turbo upgrade then the other 2 due to dropped sleeves...long story. As I still wanted a sleeved block, I went with Dan Benson Sleeves and sent my short block off last July and then received it back late October. Sleeves looked incredible!! Two thumbs up for Dan Benson!

After I had my first motor built I pulled 430whp/428wtq at 21 psi. Still had more to go but she overheated due to the sleeve dropping. Can't believe I got those numbers on my top mount. Stock motor was 385whp/378wtq.

Not to long after having received my block, my shop got broken into and my wheels and tires were stolen. Other cars in the lot didn't have it as good as I did, even though it still sucked!

Long story short, I decided to switch from the 5x100 to the 5x114 hubs. Scored a mint pair of the current sti 18 inch bbs wheels on ebay which I'm very happy about and am going to run 245/40/R18 Nitto NT-01 tires for the track this spring/summer. Went with Feal road race coilovers 10K front, 9K rear. Was going to go 12K/11K but still wanted to be able to utilize the coilovers as I won't run the Nitto's all year, as my subi is currently still my DD. Also added in some whiteline sways front(22mm) and rear (24mm).

My current mods:

Engine:
-Blouch 2.5 DOM XTR
-Turbo XS TMIC
-Grimmspeed EBCS 3-port
-ID 1000's
-MSI Fuel Rail Kit
-Dan Benson sleeved block
-High Compression Cosworth Forged 100mm Pistons (9:2:1 Compression)
-Cosworth Forged Rods
-Cosworth Main Bearing
-Cosworth Rod Bearing
-Nitrate Treated Crank
-ARP Head Studes
-Grimmspeed TGV Deletes
-Airpump Delete
-PnP Heads
-Kelford cams 264/264
-Supertech Retainer Set
-Supertech Intake 1mm oversized valves
-Supertech Inconnel nickel base exhaust 1mm oversized valves
-Killerbee Oil Pickup
-Killer bee Oil Baffle
-Perrin Tubo Inlet
-Walbro 255lph fuel pump
-Group N engine mount
-Cobb TBE
-Cobb AP V2
-SPT intake

Drivetrain
-JDM V7 6 speed
-Group N tranny mount
-Clutch Masters FX400
-JDM V7 R180 rear diff
-5x114.3 hubs
-2012 OEM Sti BBS 18in wheels
-Feal Road Race Coilovers 10K front/9K rear
-Whiteline adjustable sway bars: Front (22mm) Rear (24mm)
-Kartboy front and rear end links
-06 Brembo Fronts and Rears
-DBA T-Slotted rotors front and rear
-Hawk HPS Brake Pads

Interior:
-OEM boost gauge
-AEM wideband AFR

Exterior:
-Stock

Soon to come:
-Fully custom FMIC
-GTX3582R
-Walbro 400lph fuel pump
-A/O separtor
-Nitto NT-01 tires 245/40/18
-New paint job

In the near future:
-Dry sump pump
-Status Ring FIA seats
-Status 6 point harnesses
-Roll Cage
-New DD

Car is currently still in the shop as I'm waiting on parts but should have it back in 2-4 weeks. Once I get the motor broken in, then I will add the "soon to come parts".

Hope you guys enjoy!

Brett

Dan Benson sleeved short block

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.

Fully assembled short block

Cosworth rods

Fully built heads

Supertech retainers

Close up of the PnP

New bbs wheels

There she is in the flesh, right after my rims where stolen

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#57 Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Damn!
Glad you're back! Let's keep this thing rolling

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#58 Old 01-10-2014, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Damn!
Glad you're back! Let's keep this thing rolling
Thanks Randy! Glad to be back and can't wait for what's to come. She'll be a full blown track car before I know it

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#59 Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh sh!t....fourth motor? That sucks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
#60 Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Oh sh!t....fourth motor? That sucks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ya its been pretty awful, thankfully my builder is an outstanding individual and has paid for my 3rd and 4th (minus the benson sleeves). He stands behind his work even though the dropped sleeves wasn't his fault as he outsources them. I can't rep him enough!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq