The time finally came...motor build! - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Get rid of everything Brian Crower from your list. The BC cams do nothing but give you a poor idle. They don't make power. And their valvetrains are known to fail.

<--- is running GSC cams
What brands would you use instead for my headwork? Going to go with the Kelford 272 cams but what would you go with for the valvesprings/retainers, and valves?

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Supertech's products are what most people recommend.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#18 Old 08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Supertech's products are what most people recommend.
Thanks Kirt! What is side coating pistons? What are the pros and cons (if any)? Thanks man!

Also where do you get it done at?

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#19 Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Side coating is just a dry lubricant that is applied to the skirts... Some pistons come with the coating on it like my Wiseco's did:

Some don't.

Other things to think about are coating of the domes like Kirt said. It helps to form a barrier between the combustion heat and the piston, helping more of it get out through the exhaust and into the turbo. It's also a slight barrier to knock vs an uncoated piston. Don't confuse that as your pistons are knock proof if you get them coated, they're not.

Coated:

You can put the same coating on the valve faces and combustion chambers as well for the ultimate in coatings, that's what I'm doing.

-Chris
#20 Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Side coating is just a dry lubricant that is applied to the skirts... Some pistons come with the coating on it like my Wiseco's did:

Some don't.

Other things to think about are coating of the domes like Kirt said. It helps to form a barrier between the combustion heat and the piston, helping more of it get out through the exhaust and into the turbo. It's also a slight barrier to knock vs an uncoated piston. Don't confuse that as your pistons are knock proof if you get them coated, they're not.

Coated:

You can put the same coating on the valve faces and combustion chambers as well for the ultimate in coatings, that's what I'm doing.
Thanks a lot for the side coating info and pics...I really appreciate it Chris!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#21 Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Update

Just got back from talking with my engine builder and this is what we put together

Short Block
-OEM Bearings
-Darton Sleeves
-STI Nitrate Treated Crank
-Cosworth Forged Piston 100mm 8:2:1 (my builder swears by these and has told me that he has built a lot of motors in the past 2 years with cosworth pistons and has never had problems with them).
-Cosworth Piston Ring Set
-Eagle Rods

Heads
-Porting & Polishing Heads
-Kelford 272 Cams
-Supertech Valvesprings & Ti Retainers
-Supertech SS Valves 1mm Oversized

Drivetrain
-JDM STI v7 6 speed swap
-Clutch Masters FX400 clutch
-Goodridge SS Clutch Line

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#22 Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
ACL bearings bearings are normally not that much money and are thought to be better. That's the only thing I would change. Damn man...your car should be a beast after its done. Oh...and make the exhaust side valves iconel Supertech makes them also. Iconel withstands more heat.

Edit: Oh yeah...if your not using this. Make sure your tuner uses some of these. APR's stuff will bolt your engine back together and keep it together better than the OEM stuff.

Funny how I almost forgot about that....I would've felt like a asshat later.

Kirt
#23 Old 08-30-2011, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
ACL bearings bearings are normally not that much money and are thought to be better. That's the only thing I would change. Damn man...your car should be a beast after its done. Oh...and make the exhaust side valves iconel Supertech makes them also. Iconel withstands more heat.

Edit: Oh yeah...if your not using this. Make sure your tuner uses some of these. APR's stuff will bolt your engine back together and keep it together better than the OEM stuff.
For whatever reason he doesn't like ACL bearings and lives by the OEM bearings as he has "personally" had the most success with them.

To my knowledge we aren't but I could be wrong...ill definitely ask him about that tomorrow and if not will definitely get some

Thanks Kirt!

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#24 Old 08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

The ARP head studs keep the heads locked down and they have a higher retention strength vs the OEM studs. I think they even make main studs or whatever. I had these from my last build...I was told about them when I was looking to do my first build by people on here and my tuner. Its very good to know your stuff is going to stay together better than OEM.

Kirt
#25 Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
ACL has been having issues with uneven wear and/or fast wearing bearings on the new Nitrate OEM cranks. Just a heads up they are starting to suck to. I'd use OEM or Clevite bearings.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#26 Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
ACL has been having issues with uneven wear and/or fast wearing bearings on the new Nitrate OEM cranks. Just a heads up they are starting to suck to. I'd use OEM or Clevite bearings.
That's exactly what Troy (my builder) told me. He said ACL is on the verge of filing bankruptcy and therefore their products aren't the same quality as what they use to be.

I've tried searching but haven't really found anything...do you know if the Cosworth have the same problems? I know that Cosworth buys their bearings from ACL but then adds their own personal touch to them. They are quite a bit cheaper than the OEM but im wondering if the OEM's are the best route to go?

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#27 Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

bmoney is an unknown
Quote:
The ARP head studs keep the heads locked down and they have a higher retention strength vs the OEM studs. I think they even make main studs or whatever. I had these from my last build...I was told about them when I was looking to do my first build by people on here and my tuner. Its very good to know your stuff is going to stay together better than OEM.
I called my builder and asked him to throw in some ARP headstuds and he said he was going to use those anyways and just forgot to put them in my estimate. Thanks anyways for bringing that to my attention though.

Brett
2006 WRX TR
Dom 2.5 XT-R
430 awhp 428 awtq
#28 Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
OEM or, like in my case, Clevite. I have had luck with both. Cosworth simply coats the ACL bearings, and I believe they use the ACL H race bearings..

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#29 Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Last time I was told...Cosworth used spec 0 ACL bearings. FML if I get a pair of bad ACL bearings. I do not want to go through another engine. Because my engine is already built with them apprantly. My tuner is picking the engine up friday. Which means its already built and shipped. I hope what you guys are saying doesn't screw this engine too. I will be so pissed. Oh...and my crank is one of the OEM Nitrate cranks. EFFF. Way to make me paranoid guys.

Kirt
#30 Old 09-01-2011, 05:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well for what it's worth I haven't seen a newer Nitrite crank crack in half. I could have sworn they used ACL race bearings....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...