Subaru WRX Forum banner

Strength of the EJ20G

22K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  nick4592 
#1 ·
Hey Gang,

Sorry first post is a little long, but it seems you US guys have a lot more experience in Suby hardware then us Aussies :shhh:

I have a mate with a 91 Liberty (you guys call em Legacy's) with a EJ20G, which is also in the '94 GC8 WRX. It comes with a water > air IC.

Its got VF22@18psi making 180@rwkw's (all 4) Zhaust, intake ECU etc.
180kw is I guess about 340bhp ((180x1.4) x 1.34)

My question is what types of power you guys see on these open deck blocks before doing pistons etc. Assume its tuned right, and wont see any cylinder pressure spikes from detonation, when do people have issues?
I think the VF22 is too small, and thinking bout a Garret 500-550hp turbo, or Trust TD06, but wondering if maybe theres no point on the stock motor if something will let go soon. I come from a Nissan world, where even a SR20 should take 280-300rwkw in stock form for a long while... but this motors got 150,000km (93,000m) on it :beatentod

Any assistance thoughts, flames, etc would be massively appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!!!

Michael

See less See more
#2 ·
most of the expertise here is on USDM models. We don't have experience with the older turbo models (although we did get a turbo legacy way back when). You might get a bite here but I'd try to find a aussie forum.

#3 ·
I think that the EJ20G already has forged Rods so it already can handle a bit more than the USDM model...so all you have to worry about is crushing a piston...if you all want to break 400whp on a EJ20 I would recommend 20G, GT12, or a GT30 with Methanol Injection. What type of Engine Management are you all using?

#4 ·
ECU is a NZ made unit called a ECUlink. It is a signal bending piggy back, but tuning and my turbo choice to move the air we want isn't the issue. Its how much power people are making from a (94 WRX) motor that im looking for.

Thank for comments

#6 ·
Yah, the GTR. Id chew my leg off if i couldn’t own my dream car, you guys can import and compliance them as well though yes?
Couple dozen people that i know run em. The extra torque and ability to spool larger turbos is fantastic, but many (incl me) think it takes a little away from the originality. Not many people buzz the setups up over 9k RPM due to the inertia difference. I like the idea of sticking to 2.6.. (maybe a HKS 2.8 kit, but they're pretty $$$)

#7 ·
sweet man thats awsome..for real though the skyline is seriously my dream car and i will own one even if i can only park it in my garage. Its very bad to have one here in cali because of all the laws you cannot legaly own one here and drive it on the streets. I have however owned well half a skyline haha. I had a nissan 240sx and i swapped with with a RB20 actually out of a cefiero(sp?) from australia.. I would give my pinky toe to own a skyline preferably an r34 or the r32! Yeah ive never seen the hybrid block but ive heard of people running them on my 240sx forum. A new company made an all bolt on kit to run the awd on a 240sx but still not a skyline in anyway just at heart..

im not sure about all the states but for awhile i was hearing that we could only DOT appove the R33 in the states and ive never been a fan of that model.. Its shitty though because you need to crash something like 3 skylines to make 1 legal. Motorex was doing it for awhile but he is in jail now and the company is closed.

#8 ·
Well off topic, but yah, I almost got 180SX (240) with a 20 as well, but figured the extra weight would kill the handling. Serious!!?? A 180SX with the 4wd would be insane, hell, it would be lighter then the 1530kg of a R32. That 350Z with the BNR32 running gear looks insane too.
Tough gig about not being able to get the R's on the road. Maybe move to Canada :eek:

#9 ·
*BUMP BUMP*

No ones ever known anyone to blow a EJ20G motor? Most forums are full of story's (unfortunately hehehe)
Surely people have crack a ring land or two, split a liner, spat a head gasket, thrown a rod???
Serious, any information would be reeally helpful!! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.