Subaru WRX Forum banner

stock sti short block vs built block as a daily driver

42K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
im due for a rebuild. going to drop in a sti block. but my question is, is it really worth it to build the short block or just keep it stock. i dont plan on doing any racing or track at all.yea everyone now and then ill hit pedal to the metal and have some fun,but thats about it. its going to be my daily driver and want it to last another 10 years. ive got a 2002 with about 147k miles running stage 2 and i want to add the sti block and supporting mods to build a decent street machine. what are some other users horsepower numbers on a stock sti with an upgraded turbo with supporting mods. also one last question when it comes to turbos. if im only aiming at high 300+ hp numbers(for the time) is it best to buy a turbo with a higher rated horsepower(say 450hp) and just keep low boost or buy a turbo rated for my needs. i just dont want to "double dip" and buy another turbo down the road when i want more horsepower.i know the weak link is always the tranny which someone may bring up,but i do plan on upgrading the tranny once its needed.
as always thanks for everyone's help !Thumbs Up

#2 ·
Im just curious as to what makes you think that you need a rebuild now, or in your near future? And why going with an ej257 makes a "better street machine" than a ej205/207? You are looking at ECU issues that will need to be overcome right off the bat there that will add to your total budget. Another thing that would help is describing, or letting us know what you mean by "high" 300+ hp? I mean is that 399 AWHP, or are we talking 335 as thats 35 HP over 300? In no means am I trying to be a d!ck, just trying to make sure I or anyone else understands and gets the full picture of what you yourself are trying to build/achieve.

#3 ·
i want to upgrade to the 2.5 sti short block. i know i need a custom tune which i can get done with my coob ap. i always hear on the forum about putting bigger turbos on a high miles motor. i was looking at an ej25(or any engine code that was used for all years usdm sti motors).my goal is to get around 370hp. i know with the cobb stage 3 build will yield me around those numbers but with a sti block and a custom tune i can get some better results. i would def. like to do the cobb stage 3,but ive seen so many people on here talk down about putting more hp on a stock 2.0 with high miles. basically im ready to do some more engine mods and just dont want to make the wrong choice.

#4 ·
I have had:

- Stock engine
- EJ205 w/ forged pistons and rods
- EJ257/205 hybrid
- EJ257/205 hybrid w/ forged pistons
- EJ257 w/ cams, valvetrain, forged rods, and forged pistons.

The most reliable was my factory motor. A factory assembled motor has less likely to go wrong with it than something a person has to build.

And I'm confused, are you talking 370 hp to the crank?

#5 ·
im aiming at the most hp i can get with in the guidelines of the stage 3 cobb map but with a custom tune for my car. i plan to get plenty of parts p&p from GrimmSpeed or a local shop. also going to buy small mobs that dont fall in line with the "guidelines" of cobbs stage 3 requirements

#8 ·
im basing my build off of the stage 3 setup but with a sti short block. still need to buy the injectors and the turbo.also going to get a protune to get the most hp out of my build. i know there is no off the shelf map for a hybrid build on the ap but i can still use the stage 3 build guidelines as starting point.

#9 ·
cobb dyno sheet on stage 3 build shows it as wheel horsepower so thats what im aiming at.
forgive me for im a little confused on that topic. i know there's crank and wheel hp but cobb stated about drivetrain loss is that what "crank" horsepower is also referred as

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.