STI Swap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Shift_Mike is an unknown
STI Swap

hey guys i have a 2004 wrx, i bought it about a year ago, blew the motor in the 1st week...... anyways, i had a daily driver at the time and a race car so i couldnt put any cash into my subie.

Well finally landed a sweet job, i got some money now and i need to get my car going again. I want to do an STI engine and tranny swap in it and possibly upgrade the turbo.
Goal is 400+wheel im basically asking you guys what your recommendations are for me? As far as the swap goes, turbo uprade, and some kind of ems and whatever else you guys recommend, if any of you guys know a round about price estimate that would be nice (money isnt really too big of a deal now, i work on the road now and all my living expenses are paid for by my company, that being said though i am a mechanic but i wont have time to do the swap i seriously dont get days off lol so if you guys know about what labor would cost too that would be cool just so i know how much more i should save up) I want to have ron at axis tuning to do all the work because he is the closest subie tuner to me back home where im from.

thanks in advance guys, just recommend what you would do if its your own car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Check out NASIOC, its been done several times and is better documented over there. With that engine swap you will need the ECU or a stand alone EM. And the tranny will be rather expensive also. You will need more than just the 6 speed for the car.

As far as you old engine goes, what exactly is wrong or happened to it? A hybrid build might be a choice also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 15 Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Shift_Mike is an unknown
lol hybrid build is not an option, i was going to do that, but lol after i tore it down a few weeks ago i found that one of my piston wrist pins let loose/broke what ever you want to call it, the rod kept traveling up and down pownding the piston into my cylinder head, metal was all over my engine, my piston was like in 8 molten pieces haha and some how my other head got ####ed up too, all in all my old ej20 is a hunk of scrap haha.

I definently need entire new everything sooo even if it isnt an ej25 somthing has to go in there haha, i would like to stay the usdm route though, and i do want about 400wheel, so what ever you guys recomend im gonna do.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well the thing is if you go with a full STI engine then I'm pretty sure you have to splice or replace the wiring harness, and definately need an STI ECU like New said, which is why most people with WRX's go with the hybrid. That being said, it would probably be more cost effective for you to go with the full STI block and pay for the afore-mentioned than to buy seperate heads and a block and pay to have them put together.

I know that guys in my area were getting quotes for an STI tranny swap completed at around 6K. Whether that was for a new of used transmission, I don't know. But that's a starting point.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #5 of 15 Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If you are close to Ron he can do a fully built motor setup for you.
Product List

I would go with a set of Street Series Heads and Block.

Then all you need to do is find an STi tranny and swap in.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-19-2009, 02:30 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
As chase stated that price is for a USED STI tranny, at least in my area. Good luck with this all. Keep all of us updated and informed as to your decisions and outcome.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 15 Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Shift_Mike is an unknown
well i have been doing a little reading, it seems like alot of guys in my situation would do the jdm v7 swap the average price im finding all the stuff for is 8k, do any of you guys know if ron does jdm swaps?

And yeah right now where my house is at i live at my house and my car is like 20 minutes from him, im in new jersey right now for work, but im about ready to have it dropped off there i just want to get my ducks in a row and know what i want.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
For me the EJ257>EJ207. The 2.5L motor is so much more drivable it is ridiculous. Lots more low end torque. You can make good power with the EJ207 but you make it by revving the motor out more than the EJ257. It is all a matter of preference.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
OP-your so lucky to have a great shop in your area and you dont even know about them.
Should I tell you who they are.......

Talk to Jeff or Dylan at DS1, there just outside Chicago. I would love to have a shop like that, that close to me

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
post #10 of 15 Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The cheaper option rather than a STi swap is a hybrid (avoids DBC to DBW conversion problems and ECU problems) and a PPG 5-speed. Don't waste your money on STi parts. If you want an STi, buy an STi. If you want to build a monster, skip the STi parts and go big. It's cheaper. It doesn't matter if your heads are shot. EJ205 heads can be had for cheap. Put the money into upgrades for a custom built motor, tranny, and turbo rather than blowing them on used STi stuff.

ECU? Stock with open source protune.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #11 of 15 Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Really? The ECU wouldn't have to be changed out if he used opensource on his WRX ECU?

I was just thinking with all the money that would go into buying an STi shortblock, WRX heads, and having them built he'd be looking at close to the same amount as just doing the wiring harness splices/changes and dropping in a full STi motor.

But if he wants to make 400+ then upgraded inards would be the way to go...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #12 of 15 Old 01-21-2009, 01:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
I was just thinking with all the money that would go into buying an STi shortblock, WRX heads, and having them built he'd be looking at close to the same amount as just doing the wiring harness splices/changes and dropping in a full STi motor.
I don't see it like that at all. The EJ257 isn't that cheap itself and adding in an ECU and harness, gas petal, and other things needed to do this swap is a real pain in the ass. The building up of a motor using the EJ257 block and the EJ205 heads isn't that costly even compared to just slapping in an EJ257 without all the needed support work. The clear advantage of the hybrid though is you only need to deal with the motor and the tuning. I could see the hybrid as HALF the price mattering on how stock you left it.

Course, put some of those funds into beefing up the internals of your hybrid and you can have a monster that will put a stock EJ257 to shame.

post #13 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

MNScoobaru is an unknown
so it is doable to take the ej257 with ej205 heads without needs to swap the tranny or have to do any ecu reprogramming?
post #14 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Garage
Well, you would need to tune the car but the stock ECU can be adjusted, yes.

Ronnie at RS would tune it up for you: 952-707-0100
Tell em mosc sent you, maybe you'll get a discount. More likely you'll get blank stares though.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
do the hybrid option thats what i did and i love it, you will have to do your research in it though, get thicker head gaskets to lower the compression back down since your using the 2.0 heads on the 2.5 block, and just build a really strong engine and put the rest of the money in the tranny if you have the money get PPG gears then work your way to suspension if you havent already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement