STI longblock smog test - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-04-2009, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
STI longblock smog test

first off, hello this is my first post!!!

I have a 03 wrx that has had a blown engine for about a year now, and im finally gonna have enough engine to pay for a replacement. But i want more reliability and a little bit more power, so an STI longblock, or possibly sti shortblock with wrx heads, is what im looking to do.

Heres the problem, I regestered my car as a NON OP, but when i fix it i have to get it smogged to regester it for normal driving use. If i go with either STI longblock or STI shortblock with wrx heads, will i pass smog? i have the stock wrx exhaust components, stock turbo. stock intercooler. If i run all these parts with stock exhaust manifold as well, can i pass smog?

sorry if this is confusing. i will be going from 2.0 to 2.5 so i didnt know if my stock turbo would work on it.

Now , im only doing these "stock parts" for a short period of time for smog reasons, then im going to put a sti turbo and intercooler on just to bump up the power alittle, im only looking for 300+whp. thanks guys and i look forward to talkin with everyone here on this forum, it looks real imformative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I wouldnt see why you wouldnt pass the smog test. FYI the STI runs a 2.5, so does the 06+ WRXs. As long as you have the cats and CELs you wouldnt have a problem at all running the car and passing smog.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
yes i kno thanks, ive been into subbies for a while now , i just left a different forum, to many admins abusing there powers putting people down and name calling and such.

But this place looks good. I have the stock cats with about 40k miles on them from my 03 wrx, stock cats. will they work fine when it comes to smog, cus the motor is a 2.5, and also, will my stock turbo push enough through the motor just to get it smogged. i dont plan on using wrx turbo on sti engine for longer then a few weeks just for smog test. Thanks guys
#4 Old 04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
anyone?
#5 Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
I don't see why you wouldn't pass as long as you keep the stock exhaust with stock downpipe's and what not.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#6 Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If it's catted, properly tuned, and has no CEL's, it should have no problem passing any smog test. It might fail a visual inspection if the inspector is a dick, but that's different.