Subaru WRX Forum banner

sti block wrxs heads

7K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  imbeterthanu 
#1 ·
ok well as some of u might know, sat night i let one of my friends borow my car to get more boose for my party. i get in the car next moring and motor is fryed.threw a rod. so im looking about possibly getting a STI bottom end, and port and polishing my WRX heads. good idea will it work, better sugestions. long block, short etc.

#2 ·
whoa, sorry for your loss. the 2.5 bottom and wrx heads is a good match. new 2.5's can be had pretty cheap, hell a mildy built 2.5 can be had pretty cheap, that's the route i would go. and i think cobb is back into CNC heads so you may want to hit them up for a head job.

gruppe-s has built bottom ends available, so does Cobb.

#3 ·
imbeterthanu said:
ok well as some of u might know, sat night i let one of my friends borow my car to get more boose for my party. i get in the car next moring and motor is fryed.threw a rod. so im looking about possibly getting a STI bottom end, and port and polishing my WRX heads. good idea will it work, better sugestions. long block, short etc.

Man, I hope this is some sick joke. That sucks. Back on topic though.

If I was in your position, the 2.5L with WRX heads would be the way that I would go. Also, why you're at it, I'd also throw some ARP studs/Cometic headgaskets, and build it up some.

Then it would be time for a green. :rocks:

That would be a pretty badass set-up, all said and done.

#5 ·
stacy thats what i was thinking about. BUT, my trany i'm gonna have to baby it untill i get once again more money.

jea, orgianaly i thought it was the turbo.(which it might be still) told him about it. he said ok. yesterday got to look at the car, and turns out to be the rod. called him, and he made a million and 1 excues, on how he didnt do it.

i was looking on gruppe-s and they have a j@p spec 2.5 motor, every thing there just drop it in and tune. so i'm thinking about that. but i still have to price around on sti bottom's

#6 ·
Yes, the 2.5 STI short block and the 2.0 WRX heads are a potent combination.. It's currently what I am running.. I would also suggest spending an extra 400 on Forged CP Pistons since it's easy as pie to swap them when the block is fresh.. That way you can boost up to 24psi with a 64lb turbine turbo down the road with no worries.. I also agree with Stacy about ARP head studs and Cometic gaskets, both actually on my car as well. As for porting I would suggest Axis Power Racing Stage 1 for your heads if your not planning on going Crazy.. I have their Stage 2 and I couldn't be any happier.. I have hugh valves and a wicked cam and my Vacuum is still decent and I have a strong flow through my power band.. They do VERY nice work, give RON a call..

STI short block - 1700 through a Subaru Dealer
ARP Head studs - 200 through Axis Power Racing
Cometic Head Gaskets - 150 through Axis Power Racing
CP Pistons - 600 through Axis Power Racing
Stage 1 Heads - 1200 Through Axis Power Racing.

Know I know that adds up to 4000 bug Ron is cool and will discount parts if you purchase it all through him, he did for me, and he will also put the pistons into the block, and bolt the heads on for you.. He is a good guy and builds good motors, he played a major role in mine.. If you talk to him and ask for some help he is very willing to do so.. I spent so much through him that he assembled mine all free...

#10 ·
Yup.. I have over 30,000 invested into my entire package..

Hell, I put almost 10,000 into my transmission alone..

The 2.8L short block is 8,000 alone.. (My next block)

It gets VERY expensive VERY quickly but can be done little at a time.. IF you going to get the block (which you kinda have to) I would honestly suggest doing as much as you can internally NOW.. It's already broken down and out of the car so why do it twice.. Do the Pistons and Rods now.. Do the head latter as you can take them off while the motor is in the car.. Not the easiest thing to do but doable none the less... The stock turbo on the 2.5 will spool crazy fast but flutter out on the top end.. Same as the 06 setup.. You don't NEED to upgrade everything now.. The trans will be ok if you baby it a bit for a while.. That's a hefty upgrade too, 1500 or so just for gears that are only good to 300 or so whp.. Just always keep in mind your final goal and do what make sense to reach that goal..

#11 ·
i went on to axis racing, and im going to them call tomorow and price out every thing. the shity thing is, i have to wait to get the money together. cought me at a bad finnacial time.ive got pretty much every thing planned out, that i pretty much want to do.

#17 ·
not yet. i've been busy. i'm calling them tomorow. and getting all the info. and maybe i'll start pulling my motor this weekend if i get bored enough. oh does he time it. and put the belt on it or do i have to install all all the seals and pump and stuff.

#18 ·
'BOOSE' and wrx's dont' mix...

...sorry about your motor-a lot of the blame goes to you for letting a 'freind' drive your baby especially one that's all rummied up'....anyway the good part is it forces you to speed up your plan for a kickass motor...yep i just picked up a 2.5 block for my '02 X from Kingofparts-1550$ with shipping included!!It's sitting in my garage ready to go in tommorow...i think you can find him on this site or for sure on CLUB WRX..good guys too-very good service and attitude. goodluck DANIELLE in CA:nono:

#20 ·
Ron assembled the complete bottom end for me.. Timing belt, oil pump (with shims to up the pressure), oil pan, heads (dahh), valve covers.. All I had to do was slap on the headers, intake and accessories like alternator, clutch, flywheel and what not.. It was very close to a long block when I got it back from him..

#21 ·
vew he wasn't intoxicated. ok i talked to to ron today. for what i want to 2 its gonna run about 5G's. thats not upgrading the valve train. he said the sti block doesn't rev high enough. and thats with timing belt oil pump water pump etc. so all i'll really need to do is the acceesories. intake etc. now the problem is getting the money.!Cry!

#22 ·
hey i realize that it has been a while since someone posted here, but... heres my situation. starting from the begining. alright so about x mas or new years, we had a flood here and i hydrolocked my engine because i bought my rex and it had a stupid aem cai on it. great. luckily, it was covered under my comprehensive with my insurance. ok so 500 deductable, a little extra for a header, about 600 bucks out the door and i was back on the road.
about a month ago or so, we had a snow storm and like an idiot i hit a curb covered in snow doing donuts. jacked my driver rear rim up, and some suspension. so i replaced my knuckle and hub assembly, my rim and the strut. yay. well, driving it home about a week and a half ago, i got a nasty knocking. had it towed to school next day, because i go to an automotive school where we are trained for certification, and the engine teacher says, "sounds expensive." great, so i call my insurance and their warranty on the replaced engine is a year, or as long as subaru warranty would last. so im thinking that since my car is still under warranty, they would replace it. anyway. i got the ok to tear it down and diagnose it. well, i pulled the pan, and i grabbed one of the rod caps and i was able to shake it around. feels like there isnt even a bearing in there. got the cap off and found out that i spun the bearing pretty good. well, now i got a call from insurance and they said that they would not cover it because it has been over a year. now im screwed because im a broke college student.
anyway, im looking at doing a 2.5 block with my heads. and i have been reading suggestions. lil shoaf, yours sounds great, but i dont have the money for all the extras. so my question is what is the absolute cheapest way i can get out of this? hopefully i can get an ej22 from a guy in town but i dont know if he still has it. all forged internals plus the block for a grand. but if i cant get that. then im going to try to go with the 2.5
of course i want to make my rex buff as hell, but thats not going to happen. so , any suggestions? sorry the post is so long, just thought i should fill all of you guys in on the situation. thanks in advance.
Koo Tran

#24 ·
You can but I'm pretty skeptical of that on the subaru motor. Changing the distance between the heads is going to effect timing ever so little... however over millions of revolutions it's not so little any more. Keep in mind that these are interference motors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.