STI block with WRX heads - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 Old 04-07-2009, 04:39 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Well, you don't have to pull the trans to pull the motor. The pistons in the Subaru block is a lot different then in a standard "V" style motor. It is really easy to pull the pistons in a subaru block. There are plug holes that once you open gives you access to the wrist pins which allows you to pull the pistons and change them with out breaking the block down at all. This is really nice when you do what I first did and what I think your are expressing that you are going to do which is buy a new short block. I'll look and see if I can find the pictures of the slide hammer that I made out of a scrap piece of tubing (for the slide) and (2) metal coat hangers..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
i may end up getting a good deal on sti longblock. (shortblock and sti heads all asembled)

would i still be able to pass smog with stock cats and stock exhaust
post #18 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Are you saying you're considering buying a whole STI motor, heads and all? Thats no good to you. You need to use WRX heads in a WRX or you'll have major compatability issues. Build the hybrid!

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #19 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
no, not everything, just the heads ontop of the shortblock, doesnt come with intake manifold and all that.

I think if i can get that deal, im gonna pull the sti heads and sell them, ive seen those bad boys sell for alot of money. then i can use that money to build my heads after i get the car smogged
post #20 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
yes but the STI heads are way different than the WRX heads, RUN THE WRX HEADS!!! Just have the WRX heads P&P and put some nice valve springs in there and some nice cams and you will be set for the heads, also P&P and manifolds and have a nice protune and you will be very happy with that Hybrid engine build up.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
im so excited, i shoould be able to sell a pair of sti heads for about 900 or so right?
post #22 of 28 Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can buy a STI short block for $1,900 and then put like CP pistons or whichever brand you want in there. Get a hold of P&L Motorsports in Chicago Illinois, that is where i bought two of my STI shortblocks and they will give you a free gasket set and hook you up with all the proper parts and what not. Here is there website

P&L Motorsports - Home
post #23 of 28 Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 AM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
An STI short block is a better option then the STI setup you spoke of earlier simply becuase you can pick up a short block for under 2,000 and if you drop another 400 into forged pistons like CP (short Skirts) you will have a stronger bottom end for less or about the same.. Stock STI pistons are Known to crack with pressure and you don't want that do you??

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #24 of 28 Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

If you do call P&L they will hook you up with the correct thickness for headgaskets to bring your compression back down since you are using WRX heads on a STI block the compression would be a little high without thicker head gaskets.
post #25 of 28 Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BrokEnRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
If you do call P&L they will hook you up with the correct thickness for headgaskets to bring your compression back down since you are using WRX heads on a STI block the compression would be a little high without thicker head gaskets.

Awesome i was wondering that, cus i know i need special sized gaskets, i didnt know which. ill give them a call as soon as i receive my checks
post #26 of 28 Old 04-11-2009, 02:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Right on man good luck to ya and I hope everything works out for ya, if you want to save money ask them if they have any used STI Cams in stock that they will sell you, whenever they did have them in stock they were selling them for cheap, and those will help with your top end as well vs stock WRX cams.
post #27 of 28 Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

scoobystas is an unknown
just spun a bearing in my 03 wrx. 112,715 miles. it had about 2k on 5w-40 rotella synthetic from walmart when the incident occured.

I don't have the money to do what i'd like to do with the car which is install a STi short block with forged pistons, wrx 2.0L heads with port and polish, brian crower valve springs retainers and cams.

what my realistic options are: to either get a new 2.0L shortblock and just have a tech throw it in and call it a day. However, i'd rather pay a hundred dollars more for the Ej257. I plan on running stock turbo so no need for pistons right now.

i'm assuming the ej257 with stock wrx heads (no porting) and a tune will be better and funner to drive than the ej205 with those same heads and tune.

I know my heads wont flow huge numbers but i'll be torquer and still reliable right (ej257)?
As for tune, i'll have DSG in MA do the tune. I"m thinking maybe push the stock turbo to 19lbs mid range and taper to redline.

thanks!!
post #28 of 28 Old 04-25-2009, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes it would be a good idea to get the STI shortblock that way it will open your options later down the road, and the worse case you would just take your heads back off the STI shortblock later and have the P&P and valve springs and cams done when you have money, so I think you should do the STI shortblock. And sorry to hear about your luck with the old block. What are you going to do with your old EJ20