Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   STI block with WRX heads (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/sti-block-wrx-heads-25704/)

BrokEnRex 04-06-2009 04:23 AM

STI block with WRX heads

this is just a replacement. nothing bigger then a stock size sti turbo would be used. please tell me what gaskets and thickness i will need. i do not plan on swapping the pistons, from what i read everyone says upgrade the sti pistons to forged. i think with stock sti power i should be fine.

Anyways, what head gasket thickness and which ones. which oil pump, which injectors. i really dont know what im doing, i know where im getting it done, i just need to know what i need to order. Thank you guys.

Chase 04-06-2009 10:59 AM

ARP head studs and .051 or thicker gaskets. I have an extra set of the studs left from my build, pm me if needed. Also, at stock power levels I've heard of guys breaking a piston in the #4/#3 cylinders on STI blocks as early as 11k miles. My hybrid block made it 32k before a piston broke at near stock STI levels.

It's another 2 hours of shop labor and 500 - 600 now to avoid having to tear it down later, I'd recommend forged pistons. I wouldn't say that there's a good chance you'll have a broken piston soon if you don't upgrade them, but I would definately say that there is a chance.

Oil pump for an EJ257 engine, and 565cc STI injectors or bigger. Someone else can chime in here- I don't know if this requires different fuel rails, mine have always been aftermarket. Run an STI topmount with your STI turbo, and I assume you'll want to upgrade the fuel pump, but I don't know if that's necassary.

I put a breakdown of all my parts and costs here:[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/hybrid-build-rebuild-info-24802/?highlight=hybrid+rebuild[/url]

BrokEnRex 04-06-2009 02:21 PM

#### yea, thank you very much, that answered a ton of questions. and it just occured to me about how easily cylinder 3 failed on my 2.0, so i guess i should change out the pistons.

the reasons i mentioned head gasket thickness, is cus i heard if your off just by a little bit, you can really #### up the compression, i planed on rebuilding my wrx heads, because im assuming at 65k miles they are probably pretty beat, i only saw stage 2 cams for the wrx at 272/272, will these be over kill?

im only looking for 300 or so whp, but after a year or two once im settled in a new job, id like to pump the power up to only 350-400whp max, i know most say you will want more and more and more. But i wont, i know my goals, this will just be a daily driver for work, but it will be taken out a few times a week for some dirt and snow roads

LiL Shoaf 04-06-2009 02:27 PM

Yea I would say that 272 is a little over kills. That's what I'm running on my buildup.

VD5505 04-06-2009 04:40 PM

Go with different pistons those stock ones suck, i cracked my number 3 and then bought another STI short block and put CP pistons in there and i love that engine, just make sure to take your time and research about anything you do.

BrokEnRex 04-06-2009 04:47 PM

^^^ i may end up moving to iowa in a month or two after the build.

Which cams should i go with, cus im using stock wrx heads, and i hear nothing but bad news about how much wrx heads suck, and i would like to just rebuild them with better parts. and suggestions?

(i know a guy that will be able to do some porting so i wont be paying anything there, just parts for rebuilding the heads)

i forgot, i did find these at jscspeed.com

"STAGE 1: Street use with emphasis on bottom end and mid range power. Works with stock springs up to factory rev limiter.
RPM Range: Idle to 7000+
Advertised Duration (Seat): Int: 256o / Exh: 256o
Duration @ .50": Int: 216o / Exh: 216o
Gross Lift: Int: .380" / Exh: .380" (9.65mm) "

[url=http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/engine/crower_cams.htm]Crower EJ20 02-05 WRX Stage 1-4 Camshafts 04-07 STi Stage 2 Camshafts & Valvetrain, JSC Speed 02-07 WRX & STi Engine Internals[/url]

VD5505 04-06-2009 05:33 PM

those came would be fine, just buy valve springs and retainers as well, Cams with the 2.0 heads will really wake that engine up, I would go with a stage 2 cam and the correct valve springs to work with the cams, You will be really happy with that set up. Where abouts in Iowa are you moving to?

LiL Shoaf 04-06-2009 06:03 PM

Don't forget to budget for the shims to adjust the valve lash.

VD5505 04-06-2009 06:28 PM

+1 to that forgot to include that into your budget but those really are not that much money though.

BrokEnRex 04-06-2009 08:02 PM

i really dont know what im doing, im the kind of guy that would take the car to subaru and just pay them to replace the standard 2.0 engine, but i just know for the same price or alittle more i can have so much money. im trying to write all this up, to make a list of parts im going to need. i hope i dont forget anything. im starting to order parts around the end of the month

jed344 04-06-2009 08:15 PM

yes were in iowa are you moving and you will need some type of EM wont you?

BrokEnRex 04-06-2009 08:40 PM

yes im not sure which.

Ames, Iowa

VD5505 04-06-2009 09:18 PM

Man you will like like 40 min away from where i use to live, well my parents live back in Iowa still, there is alot to do in Iowa they have Road Rallys in the summer and you can race all across Iowa in that Road Rally with your car. It's alot of fun

Chase 04-07-2009 01:42 AM

You're going to forget something, lol. But that list of parts in my other post linked up above should pretty much cover you, that's everything I used. So I take it you're considering doing it yourself to save cash? I did it myself and had never done anything remotely that involved before that. It wasn't bad. Have your laptop with the guides I posted up in the shop and a knowledgable aquauntance on speed dial and you'll be fine. And you always have the forums to run to if you get stumped.

BrokEnRex 04-07-2009 02:16 PM

i have no tools , well, not enough to get the engine out and all that, but i was gonna see if i had enough or could borrow some from my neighbor, just to take out the sti pistons and replace them with the forged CP pistons.

the most work ive done on a car, is replacing intercooler, intake, turboback exhaust, header, shifter.

So this would be a learning experience.

I have a mechanic friend has experience in rebuilding race motors so this shouldnt be a problem, he qouted me ( for total engine rebuild , stripping block, putting in crank pistons and all the goods and building heads, taking out engine and transmission and reinstall), for about 1500 labor (i just have to bring the parts), he said if i do some of the work, like the pistons (since this wont be a rebuild, this will be a shortblock replacement), anyways if i do the pistons it will save me alot he said, he said he has to charge me so much cus doing all that engine work is time consuming.