STi #4 ringlands blown! Time to build it! - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 65 Old 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I believe in the vary of speed and loading method. It allows the car to heat up and the pressure. But not too much to damage the cylinder walls. I did a clutch upgrade as well, so I didn't get to take my engine up to full loading until after my pro-tune. But it was always warmed up before it moved. I changed different gears and went different speeds on lowered wastegate duty cycles. So, I didn't baby the crap out of it and I couldn't beat the crap out of it either because of my break in tune. My clutch being the reason I didn't beat the crap out of. So, I was closer to Chris's break-in method than what Matt listed.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Excellent break-in info! Thanks, guys! I decided to save some money by upgrading my clutch now and just ordered the Exedy stage 1 clutch and 13.x lb. flywheel. I figured I would be doing it soon anyway, so I might as well save the labor this time around. I got them on Amazon along with the break-in oil you guys were talking about. I can't believe how much I'm allowing myself to spend on this car. I'm even contemplating replacing the turbo and intercooler, but I figure those are things I can do after the break in period in my garage, so I'm holding off on that for right now. I don't think I'll have a problem on the clutch during break-in because I won't be pushing all that much power on wastegate pressure (8-ish psi). I'm pretty stoked as the car will be entirely different when I'm done.

A few days ago I got the Hawk yellow pads and I'll be changing the brakes soon after the motor build stuff is all done, as I'll also be switching over to my summer wheels at the same time. I was always satisfied with the pedal feel and performance of the stock brakes, but the dust is unmanageable! I can't keep the gold wheels clean for the life of me, and if the yellow pads give me even stock performance with reduced brake dust, I'll be thrilled.

The last thing on the list to change with the car is tightening it up. I say that because there are a few stages to that too. I intend to change the sways, and then do some things like a short shifter which I'll search for again when the time comes, but it's very similar to the Cobb SS, and steering bushings too. I'll likely go nuts when that time comes and you'll see a big list of parts then, but I'm trying to not even think about it just yet, because I want to just be satisfied when the motor work is finished and I can feel a difference in it then, and not focus on what it lacks.

post #48 of 65 Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

THEY CAME! I got my pistons back, along with the break-in oil and front brakes. I pick up the fuel pump and injectors tomorrow as I couldn't arrange a time to meet my tuner at his shop very well today. Anyway, pictures...

And for something to occupy my time while I've been waiting on this STi build, I decided to paint my bike... Yamaha should never have sold the previous color as red. It was maroon from my perspective, but now it's actually red. Shift Red to be exact. I'm pleased with the result, especially considering it was done with my own tools in my very own garage, and I didn't need to rent a booth! I still hadn't put it all back together in the photo, as you can tell by there being no headlights in the fairing and missing plastics and seat in the back.

post #49 of 65 Old 03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Looks good, mine were shipped on Friday so I should get them today or tomorrow.

I was just reading through the thread and saw your comment on E85 not being a true 105 but closer to 95. I did all that research and it is actually about a 100-105 depending on blend.

There is one wikipedia page that says "oh it's actually 94-96 using R+M/2", and another list of all fuels in wiki that shows E85 (R+M/2) as 100-105. That and all other reading I can find says it's 100-105.

Not that at matters much, 94 or 105 it still gives awesome gains over pump 93 or lower.

-Chris
post #50 of 65 Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bump for updates?

-Chris
post #51 of 65 Old 04-29-2011, 06:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I was reading a while back on E85 and remember 105-108 octane.... WTH.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #52 of 65 Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
ethanol is 113 by its self so you need to figure the drop for 15% gasoline. the problem is gas is never 100% the same all the time. if your going to run E85 make sure you spend $5 and get the tester to test the alcohol % when you fill up.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
post #53 of 65 Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Here's where my updates come in. I haven't been able to do a thing with the car in a couple weeks. My builder got strep the last weekend I was in town. I was home yesterday morning before coming out to Chicago, and I took advantage of that time to take all the parts down to my builder and I'm just going to pay more and not provide any assistance myself. I'm out of town for 4 more weeks, and I'm going crazy not having the car built yet. I got a job, so that was good news, but I so badly want to have my car back. I can't complain as I'm driving my dad's Porsche for now, but it's not the same. Really I'm driving a crappy rental in Denver for work, but had a trip to Chicago in the middle of my training. That's why there haven't been any updates so far. I officially have all the parts at the shop, and he should be tackling the project sometime in the coming weekends. I'll post if he hits any snags. I'm hoping there aren't any big ones, but I assume there will be some sort of hold up along the way.

I'll be getting back at the end of May/beginning of June, and I'll get the car tuned ASAP so I can break it in properly. I feel like karma is trying to tell me I need to learn patience. I haven't driven my car since early January! Poor Subie. It's been so neglected.

post #54 of 65 Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
What kind of porsche? Hopefully you can get her back when you come home.

Kirt

Last edited by turmic; 05-05-2011 at 11:51 PM.
post #55 of 65 Old 05-04-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

'05 Black Boxster. Not even the S. It's pretty weaksauce when it comes to acceleration, but it otherwise drives like a go-kart. It's pretty effortless, and I can't say I don't appreciate the looks I get driving around in it, but it's not mine, so it's difficult take pride while driving it. He likes loaning me his cars any time he can, because they always come back better than how they were brought to me. For instance, I'm installing a K&N filter, fixed his convertible top (they have lifting arms designed to snap to not harm the motor, and he snapped them), and installed a double-DIN touchscreen DVD/NAV in it for him. I can't tell you how lame I felt having to manually lift the top on a Porsche when I needed to put up the top in parking lots and stuff. The prestige just melts right away. Not an issue anymore. It's fixed and the top works like a champ again. That's all I've been up to. Just waiting on the Subie to be fixed. I'm far too impatient for this type of build while I'm out of town!

post #56 of 65 Old 07-01-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Update: yesterday I pulled the motor myself in my garage. It was a pain to get the transmission and block separated, but otherwise it couldn't have gone more smoothly. It took me about 5 hours by myself for most of that time. I expected it to be a more drawn out process, but it was very simple. I got cheap fingernail polish to put a dab on each hose/connector as I unplugged them so I wouldn't be confused when it was time to reassemble it all. It was a perfect storm with my builder and 3 days before we were going to pull the motor he threw out his back. At least I have the engine out and now he'll do the internal work and all that'll be left is for me to put it all back in and get my tune done. Finally! While I have the car in the garage I'm going to be changing the brakes and vinyl wrapping the roof's center section black. I think it'll look sweet, but I'll post pics with the results when I'm done with the whole build. I'm so excited to finally have my car back!

post #57 of 65 Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Good news, I'm glad that the car is starting to see progress. I know you will be glad to have it back.

Kirt
post #58 of 65 Old 10-12-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

FINALLY... I'm driving in my car again. I have been for about a week now. I've been breaking it in using the method we were talking about above. I made a rookie mistake installing the motor and forgot to make sure a hose clamp was tight so on the first drive the hose popped off and coolant went everywhere. I got the clamp tightened, and other than that, the installation went perfectly. I had to use the AP to clear codes 2004-2022 so that the car wouldn't run in limp mode for TGV's. The first drive I let it be in limp mode, and then couldn't shake the thought that I might miss another check engine light in the process. Anyway, those were all the codes to ignore associated with the TGV delete. No other codes have popped up, and I'm still using an otherwise OTS Cobb map (Stage 2 91). I am noticing a little bit of the hesitation that the car demonstrated before the build, but now I assume it's either Throttle slave servo, TPS, MAF, or a bad A/F sensor. Luckily, I have another A/F sensor just in case. I'll have to diagnose it further as I take the car to get tuned after the break-in process is complete. The reason I lean toward throttle controls, is because the car won't surge between 2500-3000 rpm as long as I'm at 50% throttle or more. It's just a little weird, that's all.

The motor feels completely solid, with solid, smooth power along the rev range. I only barely notice the piston clatter when it's cold, and then in the drive thru because I can hear it echoing back. Otherwise I can't tell at all that the car is anything other than stock internally. I really look forward to installing the injectors, fuel pump, and then tuning it to squeeze some more out of this bad boy.

The lightened flywheel I put in was an excellent choice, IMO. I haven't gotten any check engine lights for knock or anything yet, and it seems to run just like stock except for faster revving. The stage 1 clutch feels really good, although the kit said it would take 750 miles for break-in. I noticed a little bit of a clutch-burning-smell at first, which I expected, but what's weird to me is that I still get a little bit of vibration and smell on some downshifts, if I let the clutch out slowly to do it. I hope that's just something related to the break-in too. I have about 325 miles to complete the clutch break-in, so maybe that will make the difference? I'm hoping someone else has a little experience that can lend some insight to the clutch. It did actually vibrate a little letting it out under acceleration for a little while too, so that's encouraging.

I had the car gone long enough that it's almost time to put my snow tires back on. I didn't even get to use it for any autoX events this summer. Hopefully winterX is starting soon. I'll have to start checking the schedule.

The best news is that I just accepted another job, which should free up some time so that I can get back into events and playing more with the car in general.

post #59 of 65 Old 10-12-2011, 11:53 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I have a stg3 clutch, so not exactly the same thing, but I still to this day (got the car back in march of this year) have clutch chatter when pulling out (when its not perfect) and on some slow speed downshifts. But seems to me that everything is in order. Great to hear that you that you have your car back and all. Cant wait to hear what its like after the actual tune. Good luck with everything Brad.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #60 of 65 Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Glad that you got your car back also. I got my car back last week as well and rocking the break-in tune. I'm so glad to have it back and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Kirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement