So what are my chances - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
So what are my chances

So..i was driving the other day and i took off from a stop sign, i sunk my foot in the clutch to roll to the next stop sign and the motor died, tried cranking it up and it sounded as if every ounce of oil had been drained and every rod was busted and every bearing spun...turns out after removing one of the plastic cases it was my timing belt tensioner that had collapsed and was dangling around in there making the nasty noise...what are the chances of my valves being okay? i just got the car back 3 weeks ago from getting rebuilt.and i really dont have any money...so where do i start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 03:42 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
start by taking the car back to whoever did the build, i would image that them would have replaced the tensioner, if they did its their fault that it failed.
a compession/ leakdown test will tell you if you bent any valves.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Who put the timing belt on? It's their problem, that's a load of crap.

*edit* Heh, you beat me to it dude dude.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
im not sure if we replaced the tensioner with a new one, but still..ive never heard of anyone snapping the tensioner...so its their fault? and not mind for buying a new one to put on?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Was this a friend or something that you just handed a check and a bunch of parts to?
The tensioners are supposed to be replaced when the belt is. Did it break or did it fall because the bolt wasn't in place?

-Brandon
post #6 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxshotta is on thin ice
lol..not exactly a friend...but a mechanic that i knew that built a couple of subies well..i melted a piston back in november and had it rebuilt by him..i did replace the belt but not sure of the tensioner...also not sure exactly what the status of it is...i pulled the far right cover and put my hand towards the middle and felt something dangling around in there..
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well if he's been doing subaru's, he should have known it needed replaced. Problems 3 weeks after getting it back should fall in his lap. I would non-agressivly tell him to fix it.

-Brandon
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Like Nagyhead said above, make sure you do a leak down and or a compression test to make sure everything is good, did you check to see if the timing belt skipped at all? Cause the timing belt is on there pretty tight when the tensioner isnt even installed yet, so maybe you have lucked out and the belt has not skipped any teeth.