So...I must admit my guilt - Page 9 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#121 Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cliff notes: building a long block the right way is expensive. By the time my long block is together I'll be about 9k into it not including the turbo.

-Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Cliff notes: building a long block the right way is expensive. By the time my long block is together I'll be about 9k into it not including the turbo.
You've done alot of your own work as well haven't you?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#123 Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, the labor really isn't the killer on my bill. Its only about 2 grand. So, its the parts that all add up to be expensive.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#124 Old 10-11-2011, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I guess since I didn't go with aftermarket rods I saved a few pennies. Stock one are good enough for any power level I'm going to make.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#125 Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thought rods were in the ballpark of $600 anyways ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#126 Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Thought rods were in the ballpark of $600 anyways ?
Stock rods new might be, but I bought mine used. Aftermarket ones can be anywhere from $400-$1300.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#127 Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I got my rods/pistons as a combo set (Wiseco forged pistons and Manley rods) for around $800 total. I think it was Chris that told me about the package deal on them.

#128 Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Yup. Realstreetperformance.com has the best manley rod/wiseco piston combo price. They're about $770 for both. I'm also doing absolutely everything myself except machine work on the block and heads.... Building the heads myself, just getting them PnP'd by a shop.

I do have a good chunk of $ in tools though.

-Chris
#129 Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
My rods are made be carrilo and my pistons are CP. Guess what? They're owned by the same company even though it has two different company names. Idk if its the swaintech coatings or my Stig CBRD builder's expertise. But, I can't hear any piston slap and my valve train is quieter than stock. I didn't think that was possible with a built engine.

Kirt
#130 Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

The skirt coating definitely helps, but the right PTW clearance is nice too... A lot of the piston manufacturers call for .0035" PTW, and that's just too much... I'd say 99% of builds can get away with .0030", and that's what I did. I also know I'll be running E85 so expansion won't be as high due to my lower operating temp (e.x., I run about 150* cooler at a 3k rpm cruise than I did with regular gasoline).

-Chris
#131 Old 10-17-2011, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

:-/ Crappy update...my car is at CBRD because my gf noticed some small amounts of white smoke coming out from under my hood yesterday. I have barely driven the car so far. Only about 75 miles since picking it up.

Welp, the main oil feed on top of the turbo...that fitting is where I have a small leak coming out of it. Easy fix is just to use sealant to fix it. Mark said he has seen that before and will just fix that. The other issue is that my whole car smells of raw fuel whenever I come to a stop. Mark said he'd need to pull the entire intake manifold off to find where the fuel leak is. So, its on a lift at CBRD and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Chad dropped me off at home in a customer's EVO X MR Touring model. Basically a MR with leather interior and a softened up suspension. Very nice car, but I don't like that its a automatic.

Edit: My oil level was at full when I checked it yesterday and just topped off the coolant tank this morning to make sure it wasn't a low fluid level before taking it in. So, at least the oil wasn't leaking that bad. Finally catching something early pays off.

Kirt
#132 Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oil leak is fixed and the fuel leak was found. It was the fuel line on the passengers side fuel rail that wasn't sealing properly and now Mark said it has some dry rot. They just need to replace it and put it back together. Unfortunately 3 guys had a appointment and stopped by with a EVO X that they bought off someone else. Needless to say the previous owner beat the crap out of it. The oil pan seal was broken and replaced. The transfer case seal was broken and replaced. If the seals were broken it means someone was in there for a reason. Other little things wrong like the shift linkage was held down to the trans with paperclips and there was a mouse nest under the engine cover. LOL...very sad that the new owner believes the previous owner didn't beat on it. Even though Chad, Brent, and Mark all know it was beat on. They see these cars every day. These guys were out of town, so they needed to rectify the problems today and give them a tune today. So, hopefully soon I'll get it back again. Chad and Mark said they want to make sure I don't have any more surprises also before they give it back.

Kirt
#133 Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Santiago is an unknown
Kirt, did you ended up using a Fumoto Valve? They've been granted genuine part status by Subaru and other 5 major motor vehicle manufacturers in Japan.
#134 Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Probably not. !Laugh!

Nice plug BTW "Santiago"

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#135 Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not until I actually do a oil change when my tuner is done with oil changes on the new engine.

Kirt